Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Someone else must suffer this (rear road brake)
  • oldgit
    Free Member

The Jagwire outer brake cable is so stiff it’s operating the brake?

With me?

The outer, the bit between the last braze on and the caliper is forcing one side to the rim.
    Even over tightening it won’t stop it.
    In theory the resistance in the calipers springs should force the cable/outer to bend, but this stuffs like rigid pipe.

I have had this once before, I can see the cables the issue. So would anyone (God knows why) know of a pliable outer/cableset.

I thought Jagwire was good, but this is poor design.

wwaswas

just shorten it until the caliper ‘rests’ in the right place?

It may only need a mm or two taken off it.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ll give that another go, the outer is almost a straight line already. At least you know what I mean. When the cable had a small arch in it, it slammed the caliper shut.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I know exactly what you mean. I just used another brand of more pliable outer housing as even cutting the jagwire shorter wasn’t the best solution.

Just use another brand on that last link piece as the rest of the cable kit is great!

wwaswas

you could try heating it over the gas and bending it whilst cooling so that it holds the right shape, too?

oldgit
    Free Member

Going to have a tinker, hate doing this when I’m riding the next morning.

fasthaggis

I had this happen with a TT frame rear brake,TBH it was more down to the gap from the last braze on for the outer to the brake arm(very short). I used an old bit of Alligator i-link gear outer and it worked a lot better.

identicalbutlighter
    Free Member

I use a short length of Nokon cable there on two of my bikes, it can be a right pain with some smaller frames getting the length just right to avoid that happening.
    The Nokon stuff is super flexible and I think I was able to buy a short length somewhere as it’s horribly expensive.

oldgit
    Free Member

Successful tinker…just. Found a very flexy section in my box of off cuts (well you never know), but managed to fray the end of the inner, snipped it which just gave me enough length. Works a bloomin treat now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Someone else must suffer this (rear road brake)’ is closed to new replies.