Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Someone else KoMing a trail you have just built
  • samunkim
    Free Member

It’s a really good feeling, when you see a trail you’ve built, starting to get used. Not so great when you see it appear on Strava & you cannot get near their times.

Must be some kind of etiquette here, or a handicapping system for anyone unable to wield a shovel FFS…

jam-bo

Take the corners out.

teethgrinder

Digital EPO

samunkim
    Free Member

@Jam Bo
    Thinking of that very thing. Already have logs down to stop corner cutting eroding the lines away. So i am thinking of a quick clearance and straight run down in proper Dick Dastardly style . Then logs back & no-one the wiser.

or just use that EPO thing and save me poor old back from all that lifting Ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t build the start where people can find it. Be happy that other people are riding it

jam-bo

Or extend the segment past where most people stop. A sneaky 100yd fireroad sprint after a DH should keep you up the leaderboard for a while…

stewartc
    Free Member

If your worried about people KOMing your pride and joy hide the entrance and make the segment private.
    As above, be happy that other people are enjoying your work and that yes, there may be quicker riders out there.

samunkim
    Free Member

152 runs thru (that strava knows of) in two months and one guy has looped round and done it three times in the middle of a 22 mile off-road sunday run..

It’s all good.

But defo hiding my next effort…

Waderider
    Free Member

Count yourself lucky, my scenerio is more depressing. About five years ago, pre-strava, I pruned out and cleared Scotland Central Belt tracks that you had to dismount on because of fallen trees etc, round Cambuslang, and Blantyre. So I made them cycleable, and several pleasurable years followed of ripping them up with pals. Then in the last few years folk came and made technical sections simpler, made it easier basically. I don’t actually know if this was in pursuit of Strava KOM’s, but if you’re reading this and these are your local trails, the bit beside the viaduct on Badgers Wood Singletrack is an example. It used to be a challenge, now it is a breeze!

In summary, the trails were originally at a grade where only the best of the group could clear them. Now we all can, but now some tarmac descender is out competing us!

Bitter, moi?!

samunkim
    Free Member

I feel you pain 🙁

Then you get the opposite to, kids coming in a building shite hip jumps and digging huge spoil pits right beside the line.

Mind you we’ve negotiated a truce recently and they are off digging (gawd knows what !!) in an old stand of scrub conifers now and leaving our stuff alone.

mark88

One of our local trailbuilders was recently very irate at people who hadn’t been involved in building making the segment and taking it upon themselves to name the trail.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Then you get the opposite to, kids coming in a building shite hip jumps and digging huge spoil pits right beside the line.

Local kids trick was to dig a hole in the trail to make a jump, you know just after a blind corner. Though sometimes to their credit they would fill the hole with sticks and branches…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Someone else KoMing a trail you have just built’ is closed to new replies.