Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Someone choose me a road bike…pretty please?
  • Nonsense
    Free Member

Buying a road bike on the ride2work scheme which means I’m limited to Evans. I’d like to spend £800 or less and I’m after something fairly comfortable to up the fitness and mileage. I have no clue about road bikes at all so I need some help. I’ve seen a few bikes which are reduced 2013 models Bianchi Nirone Sora, Specialized Secteur and a Trek but no idea what’s best value. I guess I’d like the best frame I can get, and will probably upgrade over time. I’ll be using it all year in most weathers. I’m guessing I need a 56″ frame as I’m 6’1 and usually on a 19/20″ mtb. Can anyone suggest what might be best?

Ta

IanW
    Free Member

Genesis Equilibrium

oldnpastit

You’re limited to Evans? I’d suggest going to an Evans store and trying them out. It can be quite frustrating to get a bike that’s the wrong size. If you want comfortable, I find that very stretched-out positions get hard to live with after a while.

JCL
    Free Member

Giant Defy.

therevokid
    Free Member

charge or jamis … nice and cheap 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

A CX. Cannondale?

TiRed

If you are limited to Evans, and limited to £800, then looking at a sorted list on their website, the best frame available for your budget is the 2014 Cannondale CAAD8 Sora. Shimano have upgraded Sora this year (so no side buttons) and it is good kit. This is an outstanding frame with a beginner-friendly longer headtube. You will need a 56cm. After breaking my own bike (Giant TCR), I’ve raced an upgraded# CAAD8 for the past two weeks and it is genuinely wonderful. The second best alloy frame (after the CAAD10). The only downside has been that the BB30 bottom bracket needed regreasing, a £12 job at my LBS.

At the price you are looking, no bike will have good wheels or tyres, I’m afraid. You can lose almost a kilo with an upgrade for about £350 and transform the bike. But the CAAD8 is a superb introduction to road biking and better than cheap carbon frames costing more.

If you aren’t limited to Evans (who don’t stock Giant), the Giant Defy has better wheels at the price and a compact frame if that appeals. Neither will be found wanting

#Ultegra shifters and brakes, Ritchey monocoque carbon forks, stem and bars. Carbon saddle.

mrmo
    Free Member

for a start 56 is probably to small your are more likely to need a 58, but it really depends on the make.

Go to a shop sit on some bikes, there are very few bad bikes, just bikes you won’t like.

Being brutal, pick a bike that looks nice buy it, ride it. BUT MAKE SURE IT FITS!!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

The 2013 Secteur for £800 looks like a really good choice for your requirements (if it fits).

nb. I haven’t actually ridden one of course

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m guessing I need a 56″ frame

go and try them. some 56s are closer to other brands 58s/54s.

as a really rough estimate take 30-40 mm of your mtb ett.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Thanks all. I was planning to go and sit on a load to find one that fits, just no clue as to what’s good at the moment as I haven’t had a roadbike since I was 16.

stumpy01

Nonsense – Member

I’ll be using it all year in most weathers.

If I was having to get a bike for all weathers, I’d be making sure that it could take larger tyres and decent mudguards (eyelets on the frame).
    I didn’t really consider this when I bought my bike and there is barely any clearance between the seat tube and the 23mm tyre currently in there. I would like to fit a 25mm tyre to make it a bit more comfy, but when I asked in my local bike shop, he looked at the clearance and sucked his teeth a lot before saying it might fit, but it probably won’t.
    Also, I have had to compromise on mudguards and have fitted some that don’t offer masses of coverage, as the ‘fuller’ ones won’t fit.

TiRed

CAAD8 56 is a nore like an old school 58cm and will be the right size for someone 6’1″ (mine’s a 54 and I’m an average proportioned 5’11”, with a 110cm stem). As for mudguards, the CAAD8 has hidden eyelets for full mudguards and can take a 25c tyre. I ride with SKS Raceblade Longs, which I consider more suited for road/race, but I have alsi fitted some full length SKS p35 for my son’s commute. The comment on trying some is a good one, but I’ve seen some dreadful fitting advice from bike shops, so caveat emptor.

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s a good point stumpy01.

The Pinnacle Dolomite (Evans in-house offering) takes full guards and seems to have nice geometry – but one review says it’s harsh and another says it’s comfortable (was considering one myself for a winter bike).

Jameso of this forum may be able to comment, I think he designed it?

jameso

^ good timing,
    The reviewer that said it was relatively harsh had 120 PSI in the tyres and compares all bikes that way. I’d say it’s relatively comfy, it’s certainly less stiff overall than the Hoy that is also comfier than you’d expect for a very stiff-transmission area frame, but stiffer than a steel bike. No news there ) The 2014 bikes have all-carbon fork-steerers over the 2013 bike that got the C+ grouptest win.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Someone choose me a road bike…pretty please?’ is closed to new replies.