Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Somene help me with Sram gripshift springs,before I nuke the bugger !
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just got an Islabike for my son needing repairs, before we can ride it on Sunday. Had to change the gear cable and the cable wouldn’t go through the shifter. So I took it to bits and cant for the life of me work out where the spring goes, as it wont work now. Before I smash the crap out of it and go to a proper shifter, can anyone help, before I have to give him the news of no ride Sunday 🙁
    Its the sram 3.0 comp. The sram info is crap, google isn’t helping.
    Cheers

iamroughrider
    Free Member

not sure about this model but if there’s a small steel plate with a hump that makes the clicks just put it back in the right position after a bit of trail and error and line everything up correctly.

pic
    sram

if not this may help??
    sram

or this more likely – maybe
    sram2

match the shifter position with the position of the cable. ie cable not tight = minimum cable pull = determines gear number and shifter position, against markings on the case – put back together and twist to tighten the cable and move cable/gears.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Cheers for the help. It seems the spring was bent somehow. It didn’t stick up at the angle on the wiki pic. Bent it up ( pretty stiff bit of metal, so not sure how it happened as it just fell out when I opened it. All together and working. The grips are worn, so after tomorrows ride, it will get a shifter.
    So, straightened front wheel, redone front wheel bearings . Unseized back wheel and replaced bearings, changed gear cable, changed brake cables, noodles replaced, fixed 3 punctures, degreased the ball of oil aka cassette and chain, tighten loose headset and gave is a wash, as buried in a mates shed for a year and a half. I can rest knowing its all fine now 😀

iamroughrider
    Free Member

glad you got it sorted. why not keep them on. Just get a grip and cut it down. Even if the actual gripshift twister is worn doesn’t matter. They usually carry on working for an age and are pretty nifty pieces of kit.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

The grip is totally worn through on the twist bit and the bike has been upside down and ground away the plastics on the front of it. I got a sram normal shifter to replace it for £12!. Also got some new grips, pedals,chainstay protector, brake pads, chain , conti tyre and the whole lot including the bike has set me back £110. I did a gripshift to rapid fire swop on a mates daughters Halford special in the week and she is much happier changing gears on those than the gripshift that it came with. Mate and our kids are ready to roll in the morning. Should be fun.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

fair enough

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Somene help me with Sram gripshift springs,before I nuke the bugger !’ is closed to new replies.