Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Somebody hit my car – follow up
  • Ifrider
    Free Member

To cut a long story short, a guy drove into me yesterday… Switching lanes at a junction, brushed my o/s causing minor scratches. Stopped the guy, took photo of the scene, condition and position etc. Spoke to lad (mums car, an MPV) and he called “mum” to ask details of insurance etc. Worse damage to his front n/s bumper. Exchanged phone numbers but heard nowt from him. Just sent polite text asking him to call me to discuss… Just thinking though how do you actually get money out of people in this situation ? I’ve got his reg, if I call my insurance do they pursue it or should I go to police if he doesn’t call me and chooses to ignore it ?? I’ve got no independent witness apart from my 2 young kids… Help ?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Get onto your insurance. It’s not worth the hassle chasing him up yourself.

Just be prepared to change your insurance at renewal

br
    Free Member

Ignore it and move on?

It’ll only cost you time and money, and with no witnesses best you’ll hope for is 50/50 unless he admits liability.

jon1973
    Free Member

What do you need to discuss with him? All you need is the reg and his number. You don’t need their insurance details. Someone drove in to the back off me last year and wrote of my car. I had no contact with the her after exchanging details (phone and address). Just called my insurance company and let them handle it (it’s why you pay them, after all). I never really expected to her from her again.

If I were you I’d be reporting it to my insurance company. It’s not your job to chase up the third party.

project
    Free Member

Best to report to insurance co, bearing in mind they will clas it as a claim ,because the other driver may also try to claim off you.

and your premium may /will go up.

Ifrider
    Free Member

Jon, discussion was going to be me amicably accepting cash for a “chips away” type repair that would more than likely be cheaper than their excess… Reckon it’s only a £100 worth of black rubbing strip “dressing” and a polish out…

jon1973
    Free Member

OK, fair enough. Did he accept liability? I’d still be tempted to report it though. Especially if he’s not responding top your text. He’s probably gone home a told his dad or something and he’s been advised to go though insurance – he may subsequently deny responsibility.

Strictly speaking, I think you are required to inform them, even if you don’t pursue a claim.

All a bit of a pita these things. Even if it’s not your fault.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Just sent polite text asking him to call me to discuss…

Why not just call him?

TheFlyingOx

I reckon you’ll spend a few weeks to-ing and fro-ing with your insurance, and then they’ll go 50/50. Happened to me beginning of this year. Old duffer drove into the back of me having gone through a red attempting to join the dual carriageway I was already on. No witnesses, or at least none that stopped. Regardless, how that works out as 50/50 I have no idea.

I’ve now invested in a dash cam. £80 it cost, and as a one-off compared to x years of premium increases I reckon it’s well worth the money.

jon1973
    Free Member

I’ve now invested in a dash cam.

I’m tempted to do this. Did you get a rear facing one as well? if so, how is it powered? I assume the dash one is plugged in to the cigarette lighter.

Ifrider
    Free Member

Three flash – job for tomorrow now, was still feeling a tad p’d off and always work on the theory of never calling people to discuss stuff when you’re angry. Tbh it’s a sore point all round, had the car 2 years from new, within 6 months my neighbour across the road drove into the rear whilst it was on the drive. Her insurance sorted it then but despite there being absolutely no chance of it being my fault it still carries a weighting factor against me when it comes to premium time. Got to admit, the car’s (Kia Sportage) built like a tank though (and just as well) as it’s made a lot more mess on the 2 cars that have hit it than mine 🙂

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Maybe he’s hoping you’ll just go away?
    If I was the Yoof I’d be falling over myself to settle with cash. I wonder if he realises how much extra he or mummy will be paying for insurance with a claim against him?
    You’ll be paying more too though…

TheFlyingOx

Did you get a rear facing one as well?

Not got a rear facing one, no. I figured that a video of me driving sensibly with a sudden judder and accompanying crashing noises would be enough. But having dealt with insurance companies, you’re making me reconsider…

I got a Transcend DrivePro 200 cos at the time it offered the smallest compromise in terms of functionality, vid quality and price. It’s currently powered by a cig lighter plug, but for very little money you can hardwire a capacitor arrangement that tidies everything away. I’m getting one of these next, and putting the DP200 in the “spare” car – https://www.joovuu.com/gb/home/245-mini-0806.html

Ifrider
    Free Member

Well just to update, spoke to the lad’s mum who owns the car… She’s more than happy to settle outside of insurance and asked me to get quotes for a chips away type repair and she’ll pay for it. All’s well in the world 🙂
    Happy NYE all

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Somebody hit my car – follow up’ is closed to new replies.