Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Somebody give me some hope (F***ing ISIS content)
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

2nd bottom bracket in about 6 rides. Crank bros cobalt one on its second ride. Creaking! Is it shot? Bolts came loose as well. Any tips advice? Could it be the cranks? Middleburns.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SKF BB? I have no experience of them but they have a needle roller on the driveside instead of a ball bearing so should last much better

Fraz
    Free Member

Isis is gash.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oxym0r0n

My Crank bros has never stopped properly creakin, unless I get it really muddy, but did seem to need a settling in period. Worth getting someone to crank the bolts up to the recommended torque perhaps?

On the plus side it hasn’t worn out in over a year…

roblerner
    Free Member

Isis is gash.

+1

But not helpful, sorry.

ronjeremy
    Free Member
    Telemaster18
    Free Member

Well new cranks are gonna cost me £150 with a new BB (I know sq. tapers are cheap). Don’t really want to do that. Gonna have it all out and clean it all and re grease, see what that does. May try the torque idea. I’m worried that there’s something wrong with my cranks. Is that possible? What could it be?

Phil_H

The Superstar bb I had was doing ok, Then my cranks snapped.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

I shagged two crank brothers isis bb in a few months … bought a super star isis bb and its still going strong after about 8 months. Being an instructor / guide means they do get some hammer.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Can it really be the BB after two rides? Then shot? Especially after 2 rides! Not long rides either

epicyclo

Maybe your BB needs faced before putting in a new BB.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The issue with ISIS I believe is that there is not enough room for big enough ballbearings – hence they are marginal and fail – the SKF one uses a needle roller on the drive side which can take more load.

crazy-legs

Early ISI ones were certainly shite but the newer ones all seem OK – mine have lasted a good while now (both RaceFace units), for a while when they first came out I was on first name terms with Race Face warrnty department as they sorted me out replacements!

Try facing the BB shell and follow the torque recommendations to the letter.

Ambrose

My (ST) Middleburns always creak for the first few rides.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

What does facing the BB shell mean?

Stoner
    Free Member

dont worry, it’s irrelevant in the context of ISIS BBS.

but if you had outboard bearing BB cranks then some people say that you ought to have the outer faces of the BB shell aligned in plane with themselves using a tool that shaves the metal until both faces are parallel.

Ambrose

I’d prefer the faces to be parallel, but perhaps I’m being old fashioned.

Stoner
    Free Member

you never heard of the 90 degree crank system? 😉

(I was going to say perpendicular to the earth 🙂 )

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Oh right ok. In first posting this….post, I’ve given it to bike shop to take apart, clean refit, and basically inspect Cranks/frame/BB. Hopefully they’ll be able to tell me if there’s anything wrong with any of said parts. And properly torque bolts etc.

snaps
    Free Member

I tried four different cranks (Truvativ, Bonty, 2 x RF) with three different makes of BB (RF, Truvativ & SS) – all creaked to some degree, so I’ve ‘gone back’ to square taper.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I jumped on the ISIS bandwagon when it very first rolled into town. The Raceface turbine cranks and signature XS bottom bracket have worked flawlessly. In all that time, I’ve only had the bottom bracket bearings changed once (it’s servicable). Not bad for something that’s gone through about 4 or 5 sets of chainrings in that time.

MtbCol
    Free Member

I’ve been running an NC17 ISIS on my hardtail and I’ve had excellent performance out of it. No creaks or grinding and the bearings are still working well after a good years riding through everything our weather has to throw at us.

NC17 BB

Telemaster18
    Free Member

These comments are extremely helpful but I have spent £50 on a crank bros BB which should be reliable. Suppose I’m gonna wait to see what the shop say once they clean up, inspect and refit. Do I have to give in to a certain amount of creak? seems strange that it would creak any amount, especially after a couple of rides; all seals, bearings etc should be perfect.

timber

I got an RF one as I thought I might get what I pay for, not with an RF one. Bought a second and ran a continuous warranty loop for a while. Now use Truvativ which give good service for the money and SKF which are faultless so far.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Somebody give me some hope (F***ing ISIS content)’ is closed to new replies.