Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Somebody gave me a compliment today
  • allthegear
    Free Member

No, not like that. 🙄

I had stopped at a café when out on the motorbike earlier, out near Spurn Point, and a cyclist came up and said thanks for giving him a wide berth when I passed him further up the road.

It really made me feel good. I’d encourage others to do the same (say thanks for good driving not the good driving bit)

Rachel

tenfoot

If someone gives me a decent amount of space, especially if they have had to wait for a short while before they can overtake, I always give a wave of thanks. Just polite innit.

jamj1974

Definitely. I have had thanks before – which is always nice! 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I passed a guy on a road bike a couple of weeks ago but not before I’d slowed right down to let him/us get past 2 closely spaced traffic islands. He looked over as I pulled out to pass & he gave me the biggest thumbs up I’ve ever had!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d encourage others to do the same (say thanks for good driving not the good driving bit)

More of both! Always good to see people being polite, though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I always try to wave thanks to a driver who is considerate. Helps to maintain the balance

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had someone (in a white van no less) stop on a roundabout to let me out on Friday.

I almost felt bad as he turned off the same exit as me straight up a hill 😳

mamadirt
    Free Member

This thread gives me hope 😀

dpfr

Eased off and ducked into a 100 yard gap between rows of parked cars on the A6 in Derbyshire on Friday, to let a wagon with 40 tonnes of limestone past, after he’d waited patiently for a while. He waved and blew his horn, just beside me, to say thanks, and I nearly crapped myself.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

I rarely ride on the road but had a short stint on the road today and was genuinely quite surprised by the amount of room I was given by all the cars that passed me. Made sure I gave some sign of thanks to each.

bearnecessities

He waved and blew his horn

Should be watching the road, but it’s impressive still.

cogglepin

Spurn point you say Rachel, just a few miles down the road from me. Spent many a happy hour down there, sea fishing in the winter, walking round the binks in the summer and we used to have full days down there with the kids when they were younger.
    Beautiful place and changes every time you go.

teasel
    Free Member

Some years ago on this forum I wrote of my habit of thanking drivers for good road behaviour – space, foresight etc. and was admonished for doing so because they bloody well should be doing it anyway so **** ’em!

Apparently…

🙂

PJ266
    Free Member

I nearly crapped myself.

This happens on a regular basis (you’d think I would learn to expect it) pull in to let car past and get a beep of thanks right next to my ear! Actually quite unpleasant although the intent is appreciated.

Some obviously understand how loud a cars horn is and wait until they are 5 metres up the road.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Definitely agree – it’s something I’ve been doing for a while and, with a line of cars, I reckon (maybe) that thanking the first for giving room seems to positively affect the next. Thank them and it feels like it sometimes carries on…

It’s as easy to wave thanks as it is to gesticulate a grievance. Along teamhurtmore’s “maintaining the balance” theory, I’m of the opinion that (some) people base judgement of a collective on the actions of a few. Jump a red light and the motorist that sees you *may* decide to assume that all cyclists jump lights. Work it the other way and be polite? Might just help, I hope, in my naive little world 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I give a wave of thanks if someone has had to wait to get past, especially if I’m with a group. Hopefully they will remember my gratitude and do the same again to the next cyclist they get stuck behind

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Somebody gave me a compliment today’ is closed to new replies.