• This topic has 15 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Some xc light 29er wheels.
  • Wally

Recommendations?
    Looking at Crossmax SL’s.
    Need to be axel adaptable.

njee20
    Free Member

DT240 on Light Bicycle hookless XC rims.

Northwind

That’s what i’d get if I had any money. If you absolutely must get a factory wheelset then Mavic are probably the ones but it doesn’t make much sense to me.

DanW
    Free Member

Crossmax are ok but not the best value for money and not the easiest to get spares for if something goes wrong.

American Classic hubs are light and cheap(ish) and worth looking at alongside the DT. If you don’t fancy carbon rims then the American Classic 101 and Ryde Trace XC rims are great options.

njee20
    Free Member

FWIW I’ve got American Classic hubs on Light Bicycle rims. Wasn’t sure they fitted the “convertible” bill though. You can get every permutation, not sure how easy it is to swap them around though.

On LB rims with Revolutions was 1370g.

DanW
    Free Member

Wasn’t sure they fitted the “convertible” bill though.

For the OP, the AC’s are not Hope easy (changing end caps) but £15 and a minute or two to swap the axle isn’t too bad unless you are changing them every other ride.

Wally

Are they DIY only?
    I have built wheels in the past and happy to do so again. Can anyone suggest a built source – ideally a proven one?

DanW
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll get carbon rims built direct from China on decent light hubs- they just don’t keep the stock as far as I know, although I’m sure someone can correct me. I think they used to do DT Swiss but they (e.g. LightBicycle) stopped when DT started charging them too much. You can get the same carbon rim builds in the UK but there is a hefty markup on the rims. I think you’re best buying the bits direct and either doing it yourself or taking it all to someone you trust.

Wally

Thanks, I like a project. But a bit numpty on spoke length requirements.
    Can anyone post up some links to rim on their website, an AC hub that I can convert and correct spoke lengths…
    Much appreciated.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

i’ve got ENVE on DT 240, with Sapim XC Ray, had them before light bike was (well) known, if i had to spend my money again, or if i smash one, it will be Light Bike

njee20
    Free Member

I got American Classic hubs from AEBike (CBA linking on my phone), they were cheapest, just buy in the configuration you need.

These rims.

I used 284mm spokes on the back and 286mm on the front, they were all too short (LB’s ERD is out), been fine on the front, but Ive broken 6 (alu) nips on the back, so I’m about to rebuild on 288mm spokes. Didn’t remeasure, random guess.

I’d perhaps go 288 all round if building again. Revs only available in even lengths making it slightly more faff.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

LB carbon hookless on Hope Pro2EVO, built locally. That’s what I have, set up tubeless.

njee20
    Free Member

Not light though really.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run Tune hubs on my roadie disc wheels – that’ll shave off some weight. Plus you could go down to 28h on the front, or even both, if you wanted to squeeze it further. The LB rims themselves were 342g each.

DanW
    Free Member

Genuinely interested question, what is the markup on the rims Reggie? Most shops seem to take the biscuit and it would be good to know if someone is actually building Chinese rims for reasonable prices…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Some xc light 29er wheels.’ is closed to new replies.