Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Some tyre recommendations if you please…
  • jeffskowski
    Free Member

Hi guys

Need some advice/recommendations on tyres for the HT. I ran Ignitors when it was dry last year and they were fine. Threw some Geax Daturas on when the weather was awful and they were great. Not only for grip and dealing with the conditions but due to the deeper side wall, seemed a lot more comfortable and able to deal with bumpy, rooty, rocky terrain. Basically a more comfortable more composed ride. The only problem with them is they are noticeably draggy in the dry so switched back to Ignitors.

Now I find the Ignitors harsher, less comfy and all in all less capable of dealing with the same terrain as the Geax and I beleive it has much to do with the difference in sidewall height with the Geax being a lot deeper.

So… can anyone recommend a good dry weather tyre but that has a deeper side wall than the Ingnitor or comparable XC tyres?

Running the Ignitors with tubes at 40 psi front and rear if that would make a difference.

Cheers!

jimw
    Free Member

I run my ignitors at 33/35psi. Might be worth trying a reduced pressure.
    I have found Panaracer Rampage Sport 2.35’s work well on my long travel hardtail in summer round here, but they are heavier.

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Cheers jimw.

I will give them a go at a lower pressure and see how they are. I must admit I haven’t ever tried them lower than 40psi.

Anything else I should consider peeps?

ta 🙂

andyrm
    Free Member

I swear by a Maxxis Ikon in a 2.2 on the rear – wire bead run tubeless perfectly too.

Decent sidewalls, good volume and fast rolling. Cheap too at about £22.

Maybe then look at something like a Spesh Butcher Control 2.3 or Purgatory 2.3 up front?

Hope that helps.

🙂

iainc

Just today received a pair of Spesh Purgatory 2.3’s. Been using Rampage 2.3’s which are pretty sketchy in the wet. Great for rocky techy stuff though

bigbloke
    Free Member

Maxxis Ikon +1

Clobber
    Free Member

Ardent for a bit more volume?

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Thanks for suggestion chaps. Sounds like an Ikon on the rear and Ardent on the front might be the way forward. Have to have matching makes albeit different models 😳

Will drop the tyre pressures on the Ignitors and see whats what but I think bigger volume tyres is the way forward.

Any more suggestions welcome!

iainc

someone (not me) is selling an Ardent on classifieds – was tempted myself !

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Cheers ianc. 29 whole inches though… 3 more than I need 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Some tyre recommendations if you please…’ is closed to new replies.