Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Some rides ain't meant to happen…..
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Mate rocked up , declared he forgot his liner shorts…. No worries we are at my house I have a once worn and hated washed pair he can have.

Then we share a lift out to the trail head.

My maxx d is on the hall floor back at the house cock.

No worries I have the wife’s helmet light which is 800lumens -mines only 300 so would have been scary coming down clach na Ben.

We make jokes about everything being against us….

Try to ride off up the hill and my left hand xtr body failed. Not the normal pedal axle failure but the rear of the cage sheared where the pin goes left to right and the other side didn’t have any tension

Ride over about 50ft from the car.

hodgynd
    Free Member

That’s a real bummer ..better luck next ride !

trail_rat
    Free Member

Next ride is the puffer…. I can live with it if that’s our bad luck 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not the normal pedal axle failure but the rear of the cage sheared where the pin goes left to right and the other side didn’t have any tension

Ride over about 50ft from the car.

Crap excuse.

We did a bothy ride from Ratagan to Camban 3 years ago, about 10 miles into the ride, my mates XTR pedal failed completely. The whole body came off leaving only the spindle on the crank & the body clipped to his shoe. No bearings left.
    He kept going for the rest of that day & the next, just riding on the spindle, which wore a deep groove in his shoe.

Spot it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

10miles into tbe ride from ratagan to camban….. Surely that’s near the Edinburgh uni clubhouse ….you don’t need pedals for the push up to camban from there 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I can’t remember a situation where a ride wasn’t meant to happen but one notable ride nearly didn’t happen. We’d driven from Edinburgh to Loch Awe, rode about 100m from the little museum car park when I pointed out my mates rear wheel was making a funny noise, old v brake rim had split along the braking surface. Very early days of smartphones and we found a bike shop, I think it was near Taynuilt. Phoned the guy up, said he had a selection of wheels and started to give us directions, left at the pub, right at the big Oak tree etc. Drove to what seemed like the arse end of nowhere, after a while I suggested we might never be seen again but we eventually found the guy. It wasn’t a shop, it was a shed at the back of his house. We told him what we after and he started going through a big pile of wheels looking for the truest one. It was at this point I saw spotted the axes, chopping block and dead chickens. Deliverance anyone? He offered to put the wheel in the jig and give it a little tweek but conscious of the axes and nobody knowing where we were, we politely declined, he then asked if we wanted to see some kittens, I shit you not. My mate took all the cash he had, gave it to the guy for the wheel and we got the hell out of there. To be fair, I think the guy was pretty lonely and just happy to see somebody. Still, we got to do the ride.

hodgynd
    Free Member

My eyes are past their best ..but from that pic I can’t see the groove in the bottom of his shoe..

kayak23

Mate rocked up , declared he forgot his liner shorts…. No worries we are at my house I have a once worn and hated washed pair he can have.

Ride would have stopped there for me. 😆

Andy-R

It’s because you used the expression “trail head”.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do you prefer the more prosaic “start of the off road perambulation that we had planned to partake in of an evening ”

Had we traveled further for a day out we would have grabbed some new pedals and carried on but the number of obstacles in our way last night we though **** it it’s not supposed to happen.

We did spot a McLaren P1 hybrud at the fuel station which was good looking in the flesh.

Anyone got a left xtr pedal with a banjo’d axle to sell ,?

postierich
    Free Member

yes!!!!!!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Noised you up on Facebook rich. Cheers

wwaswas

The whole body came off leaving only the spindle on the crank & the body clipped to his shoe. No bearings left.

Ah, the old eggbeater ‘Keep the pedal body on your shoe and slide it on and off the spindle to clip/unclip’ ride.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cheers to postie rich the pedals shall live again to fight another day and hit another rock…..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

10miles into tbe ride from ratagan to camban….. Surely that’s near the Edinburgh uni clubhouse

Glenlicht House? They were doing some work on it when we passed although I’m sure the guys working on it said it was Manchester Uni.
    His pedal actually came apart somewhere on Bealach na Sroine as we’d had a trip to see if we could spot the top of The Falls of Glomach before we headed for Camban.

He got the pedals replaced FOC even though they were out of warranty too!

trail_rat
    Free Member

nah glen licht is the Edinburgh uni mountaineering club…. but that doesnt mean that its not shared with others . i know you can rent it out – its an awesome looking location.

Does always seem to be being worked on they were doing the roof last time i was there

IHN

About this time last year, evening 20 mile-ish roady ride planned with mate. Just under a mile in:

Me – Your hub sounds a bit rough

Him – Yeah

Me – Shall we go to that pub (pointing at pub up ahead)

Him – Yeah

Two mile ride, two pints each. It were great 🙂

hodgynd
    Free Member

I was wondering why the Camban bothy was ringing a bell..just realised that we visited that as part of a Glen Affric loop in 2011..we went out to that point and then turned back .
    I am right in thinking that there is a YHA Building not too far away ?

binners

IHN – We’ve been known not to make it out of the pub car park after entering….. THE VORTEX OF FAFF

Our record for failure ended with 3 of us cutting short a ride to coast gingerly back down from Cragg Quarry into Rammy with not one, but two snapped frames 😯

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Riding with my brother and his friend once in the surrey hills. Arrive at car park.

I commence setting up my brother’s bike properly whilst we wait for his friend to arrive.

Friend arrives, set up his bike too.. 45 mins of faff so far we are ready to go.

Except.. friend goes to lock his car. Where are the keys? ummm. well they are in the car because the keyless ignition is working… but where?

30 mins of emptying and searching every nook and cranny in the car he gave up and headed home. (keys eventually located wedged between a seat base and back).

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Some rides ain't meant to happen…..’ is closed to new replies.