Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Some really interesting stuff on the causes of depression
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Link

Also interesting about how the cytokines are released in response to diet.

dannybgoode

Another well known cause is peyote posting in the wrong forum… 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Haha good point!! 🙂

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Interesting stuff.

I maintain that stress (physical and mental) and stasis (lifestyle, physical and mental) are the two biggest causes/contributers to depression. Once depression arrives either self-absorption or disinterest (or combination of both) can take over, creating a cycle of misery and confusion.

I would look at fully identifying and addressing both stress and stasis before resorting to drugs. I was 14 years ago prescribed Citalopram (reactive depression) but it made me feel weird, disturbed sleep etc. However, a move, a life-change, a relationship change, a career change, and more and different physical exercise all combined to lift the fog and lend a healthy dose of hindsight which so far has prevented recurrence. Not even fingers crossed.

badnewz
    Free Member

I’m working on a theory that most psychological ailments are a result of information overload, which the human brain has not evolved to process.
    We have to process more information on a single weekend than our ancestors working the farms had to process in a whole year.

badnewz
    Free Member

An Oxford theologian once told me aggression is frustrated creativity.
    Next time I see a dust-up I will provide the protagonists with some paper and crayons and ask them to draw me a vista.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Recently glucosamine and chondroitin changed me from being somewhat prone to melancholy and occasional depressive episodes into a raging monster who was back to self-harm.

When I realised I was getting really bad I thought I’d strip my life/activities back to basics before I consulted someone, canned those tablets and felt hugely better in days.

Very odd indeed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Some really interesting stuff on the causes of depression’ is closed to new replies.