Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Some questions about running my own business…
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

I’m thinking about setting up my own business and I’ll need a small workshop space.

Where I live there are lock-ups and I something of that size would do until I found somewhere. However, am I correct that as it’s a residential area this would not be allowed?

I’m thinking that as it’s not a commercial space and not subject to rates (and possibly other costs and regulations) it would not do. There will be various things subject to COSHH regs in there which I think may be another sticking point?

Can anyone give me any pointers with this?

It may take a while to find a suitable unit to rent but if there are rules and regs to be adhered to then I can wait…

Thanks

mikey74
    Free Member

Have a word with the council: You would need to submit a “change of use” application to the planning department. Phone them, ask their opinion ahead of putting in the application.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’m thinking that as it’s not a commercial space and not subject to rates (and possibly other costs and regulations) it would not do.

May need planning permission for change of use but the nature/location of the building does not mean that you can’t do it.
    [EDIT] Beaten to it.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

Would this mean my neighbours would have to approve it?

Not that I think there would be any issues but I know the council can be slow so it may not be worth it…

andrewh
    Free Member

THey wouldn’t have to approve it, but they can object to your planning application. These objections (if any) are just one of the factors the planning officer will consider.

mikey74
    Free Member

It would be a good idea to run it past your neighbours first, to see if they would raise any objection.

poly
    Free Member

I would take a slightly more ‘entrepreneurial’ approach and start off in a lock up IF it is suitable. This would be more likely if you were doing it as a hobby business until it got off the ground (i.e. not your only job). Generally if you aren’t making noise during the night (or lots of noise in the day), smells or have loads of traffic etc then neighbours won’t complain – unless there is a waiting list for the units.

That said there are some things which make a typical lock up less than ideal for anywhere which might have some coshh implications:

(1) Ventilation without having the whole place open to the elements
    (2) Access to power and light (sometimes OK, sometimes none
    (3) Access to fresh water and drainage etc
    (4) Some companies won’t be happy delivering “chemicals” to what appears to be a domestic address

From a general point of view:

(4) phone / internet access (although wifi and/or 3g may overcome a lot of that).
    (5) security – garage doors aren’t usually that good
    (6) insurance, house may not cover (esp for business), commercial may not be happy with the set up.

If you’ve got any staff you’ll need something better.

grantway
    Free Member

If you are to start at home Make sure you cost in a workshop into your costs
    Due to a lot of people that start a business at home that then need to move into
    a workshop can not afford the costs and go flat on there face.

Also look at sub let space in another persons workshop that as all the tools
    you would otherwise need to buy to get you started.

Good luck

bencooper
    Free Member

I started out in a garage – framebuilding and everything – but it was very amateurish. Industrial units can be found pretty cheaply most places, and you often get good introductory deals as well depending on the area – and that would avoid all the problems with change of use.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

many thanks for all the info people.

When going through the planning permision do the council approach the neighbours or do I need to do that?

It’s mainly for storing stuff but I’d occasionally need to work from it. Venting not a problem, power and water okay too. It would be just me there and I’ll keep looking for a workshop. The main issue with that being there are loads miles away and not many nearby so I may have to wait a while.

geoffj

Have a look here – http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3604

When I did it 4 years ago, I notified the neighbours, but for more recent applications, I’m pretty sure that the letter has come from the council.

igrf
    Free Member

Fundamental rule about being in business on your own, is to make money, so keep your overheads to a minimum, don’t get yourself tied into lease or letting agreements you can’t get out of with minimum (week or month) notice because if it doesn’t work out you get to be even more screwed.

As to a lock up, good idea to start with, would I tell anybody? Personally I’d say nothing don’t ask anybody just do it and act ignorant if you get called on it, which can only happen if some nosy neighbour dobs you in.

Alerting authorities to anything commercial always costs you more, which you do not need when you’re setting out, no business switches on and gets running straight from the get go. Take two years minimum to build anything reliable and things have a habit of changing direction according to your customer/client base.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks again.

Looks like I should be okay, I get on pretty well with all but one of our neighbours. Now I need to think of a business name haha!…

Also, I’d rather do it properly as if I was grassed in then it’s a load of hassle and expense I don’t have time for.

igrf
    Free Member

Well, I only said ‘Personally’ that’s me being cynical after years of running a business ‘properly’ paying my taxes declaring everything including cash and running a straight affair, only to watch the great and good, fiddle their expenses, give my tax to anyone who asks for it to do nothing, fight illegal wars with it, waste gazillions on IT, the NHS, keeping Richard Branson in profit, you name it they waste it.
    So no if I were starting out now, I’d tell them nothing, work for cash, stay on the black, keep the cash offshore (if it became significant) and employ no-one.

Then clearly I’ve been at it to long.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

lol

I see where you are coming from.

cbike
    Free Member

Naebody will know. If I did it again I would do exactly as above and I might still be in business. Being too correct was too expensive and time consuming and defeated the purpose. Obviously dont skimp on insurance if you work with the public.

But you have given me an idea…

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at something similar but at current industrial units. Really hard to find anything round where I live though. 40 min drive across the other side of Bristol and no problems but I would rather be near home for security and I would rather spend the extra 1hr a day working on something useful than travelling.

br
    Free Member

I would take a slightly more ‘entrepreneurial’ approach and start off in a lock up IF it is suitable. This would be more likely if you were doing it as a hobby business until it got off the ground (i.e. not your only job). Generally if you aren’t making noise during the night (or lots of noise in the day), smells or have loads of traffic etc then neighbours won’t complain – unless there is a waiting list for the units.

This.

nickjb
    Free Member

As to a lock up, good idea to start with, would I tell anybody? Personally I’d say nothing don’t ask anybody just do it and act ignorant if you get called on it, which can only happen if some nosy neighbour dobs you in.

+1

If someone does complain then you’ll get plenty of warnings before any legal or costly procedings and if no-one complaind then you have less costs and overhaeds. Hardly anything to lose and a lot to gain. As above keep your costs and overheads to an absolute minimum

Really hard to find anything round where I live though. 40 min drive across the other side of Bristol

Which side of bristol.? I’ve got quite a few leads near the M32 from when I was looking

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Brilliant! Thanks for the help. My main concern was that if someone took the hump and grassed me in it would create a lot of hassle/trouble for me.

lock-up it is then…

Spongebob
    Free Member

You could get a business off the ground using a lockup, although officially you probably aren’t supposed to. There will be no power, water etc, so very limited, but you need customers before you take on a commercial lease! (Unless you have pots of money that you are prepared to potentially burn).

I know people who have found very cheap bonafide commercial units in old farm buildings, but you’ll be tied to at least 6 months.

Then there are seedbed centres which are usually serviced by a receptionist and other facilities. These are mostly easy in easy out, giving the best flexibility and also will give you a lot more credibility to your customers. Not the cheapest by far however.

As banks don’t like lending money to small start ups very much these days, growing your business organically is the only choice until you have got your first few customers. Keeping overheads to an absolute minimum will help in the early stages, so blogging it in a lock up is a sensible idea, provided you don’t make a nuisance of yourself to their residents.

Do a business plan.

Good luck!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Some questions about running my own business…’ is closed to new replies.