Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Some plumbing help
  • DT78
    Free Member

next project. replacing a 1930s toilet. Has the original lead pipe feed up to a high level cistern. replacing with a modern cistern so need to modify the water feed.

can’t easily replace the whole feed as it is embedded into the wall right in the corner and travels vertically to the old cistern. looked at an option of a self cutting isolating valve to create the new connection then cap the top off, but looks like I can’t get behind the pipe without bending it.

What other options could I use? plan to use plastic push fit. just saw off the end and some sort of compression fitting?

We’re lead pipes a standard diameter?

Bear
    Free Member

A lead loc, but you will probably need to cut the pipe to know what size you need. Most decent plumbers merchants should keep a couple of sizes.

DT78
    Free Member

ah good shout. would I need to run that into a stretch of copper and then a compression fitting to plastic?

bear-uk
    Free Member

Just on with a Lead piped system myself. I have cut the Cast waste pipe close to the ground and replaced with Plastic and a connector. The Lead to the pan is about 3.1/2″ and the plastic is 4″ (100mm)
    Screw fix or Toolstation do a Lead/Copper connector but I have repiped the House i’m on with so don’t know how good the connector is.

Bear
    Free Member

No you could take it straight to plastic. The other side is a standard compression fitting so will take copper or plastic.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Lead loc pipes are a total nightmare but your only choice here. Every plumber I’ve used hates them and they can take many tries to seal properly. My go to plumber nowadays says they either work first time or are the worst part of his job!

Bear
    Free Member

the only problem I find with lead loc fittings is getting the right size. You sometimes have to rasp / file / sand the pipe into the right size but generally found them to be reliable. You could use one of the water main ‘transition coupling’ type fittings but they are bulky and don’t look great on show.

timba
    Free Member

Alternative here…(linky). You might need a couple of sizes to get a proper fit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Some plumbing help’ is closed to new replies.