• This topic has 34 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Some people do try it on…car dealership content…!
  • DrP

As per a thread I started late last year, we decided to try a ‘contract hire’ way of car ownership.
    Lovely skoda yeti, all mod cons etc..

Got the local dealer to match a national offer:
    £2490 payment
    £119 per month costs..

All happy, all signed..

Had an email today saying thecar is in, just need to finalise finance paperwork.
    Email says “As discussed, the figures have changed due to the april 1st tax changes”..
    There was no previous discussion..nil!
    The figures now say something like £2690 initial cost, £123/month!

I rang up the dealership (and emailed, with the original signed agreement copy) to explain that regardless of the additional govenrment costs and fees, that’s not my issue as it’s not what I signed for!

I couldn’t email back saying “sorry chap, got a big holiday booked so will only be able to pay £90/month with £1800 deposit..hope all OK LOLZ” could I!

I left it stating he knows what I’ve agreed to pay, as per the previous discussion. Any adidtional costs that weren’t forseen, I’ll leave for him to sort…

Some people!

DrP

sweepy
    Free Member

I don’t want to sound like a smartarse but I’ve never bought a new car in my life, and never will, but even I knew that anyone getting a new car around now had to get everything finalised before the 1st or the tax was going up.

poah
    Free Member

offer to treat though until you actually sign the finance agreement.

curto80
    Free Member

Sounds like someone didn’t read the small print

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’m inferring from his “All happy, all signed” comment that he had actually signed the finance agreement. Surely you’d have that done before the car was delivered to the dealer?

Had this happen recently with Sainsburys Bank. Headline rate, good credit rating, offered slightly worse rate. Couldn’t be arsed to mess about so went through with it and all agreed. Call came through a week later that rate has changed. Told them to send through the new paperwork and promptly ignored it and went with someone else.

cranberry
    Free Member

Email says “As discussed, the figures have changed due to the april 1st tax changes”..

You say that like paying more tax is a bad thing ?
    😉

Cougar

offer to treat though until you actually sign the finance agreement.

It’s an “invitation to treat” until both parties agree to the sale. In the retail world where you don’t sign a contract every time you buy a Mars bar, taking payment is viewed as an implicit agreement. However, if both parties have signed a contract then surely this would also qualify as acceptance of the trade irrespective of any signed or unsigned finance agreements. If they’ve got their sums wrong and want to charge you more money, they’re in breach of contract.

How much of this applies to a rental agreement I’m not 100% sure (in fact, I’m not 100% sure of what I’ve just written even, it’s AIUI), but it’s probably where I’d be starting from.

“As discussed” when you’ve not discussed it, that sounds to me like they’re well aware they’re in the wrong and are now trying to make out that you already knew about it. But then I have an overactive cynicism gland.

nealglover
    Free Member

Was it originally supposed to be delivered before April 1st, but has been delayed.

Or was it always going to be after April 1st.

nealglover
    Free Member

Also, just out of interest, can someone point me towards a similar deal on a Yeti. I’ve been looking from time to time, but that seems far better than what I’ve been finding. 🙁

wrecker
    Free Member

They aren’t going to order the car in until he had agreed to pay for it (signed the HP agreement) surely?

bensales
    Free Member

I’m buying a car that was supposed to be delivered before April 1st, but will now be August. Dealer is covering the increased tax for the four years of the PCP.

jonnyboi

I’d be reading the paperwork I’d previously signed before replying in such a jaunty manner

nealglover
    Free Member

They aren’t going to order the car in until he had agreed to pay for it (signed the HP agreement) surely?

Sounds like they did.

Had an email today saying thecar is in, just need to finalise finance paperwork.

Presume DrP signed a sale agreement to order the car, rather than a finance agreement.

OP. Has the “national offer” that the dealership matched also gone up ?
    If not. Just go for that one instead.

They obviously can’t hold you to the sale, otherwise they would have to stick to it too ??

P-Jay
    Free Member

If the dealer wasn’t going to be able to register the car before the deadline they should have made the offer based on the costs after the deadline – it’s not rocket surgery.

Secondly, it’s likely the tax has gone from £30 a year (based on the 1.2Tsi engine) to £140 a year – that doesn’t equate to an extra £200 up front.

We had something similar last week – “how many miles a year do you do?” Oh about 6000 miles, “I’ll quote you on 10k just in case” fair enough – quote given at 10k miles. Finance documents come through at 6k miles with a larger OTP at the end “you only said you did 6k” and lots of mock shock.

The really irritating thing was the car sales guy is an old school mate, but he can’t help himself, always been that way – the only daft thing is he was completely honest on the car (actually mostly honest but I let it go) but tried it on on the finance because it’s easier to hide – he knows I worked in corporate finance for almost a decade! There was no way I wasn’t going to spot it!

nealglover
    Free Member

Secondly, it’s likely the tax has gone from £30 a year (based on the 1.2Tsi engine) to £140 a year – that doesn’t equate to an extra £200 up front.

No. But it’s almost exactly the same as £200 extra up front, and and £4/month extra over 3 years.
    (If it’s a tax included deal over 3 years)

DezB
    Free Member

Lease agreement? You’ll be paying out forever, so what does a few quid matter either way 😆

Presume DrP signed a sale agreement
    Sale? What sale?

jekkyl

pretty sure on a GP’s salary you could afford that increase 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

£2,500 up front ! Ouch 😯

ulysse
    Free Member

Shoulda bought Suzuki, the dealership, BCC. was absolutely mental on Friday31st as everyone prospectively looking was made fully aware of new tax regs. Signed on the dotted at 11am, took the salesman, finally,to fuel up on the BCC card and get him a quick bite to eat from the petrol station at 2pm. Top service throughout

wrightyson
    Free Member

yeti
    Just done my Kia through them. Known the owner a while, nice bloke.

simon_g

I’ve not had it happen prior to delivery, but when tax has changed during a lease I get billed for the extra.

What does the paperwork say?

DrP

Update…
    So e deposit wituatoin in as a slight error on the dealer behalf – he forgot they were matching the simpsons skoda deal.. as such, they are (as agreed) chipping in the extra, so I’ll only pay £2490 initial cost.

The monthly rental has gone up though…by £2.82 per month..
    Not massive, but it the ruddy principle of it! I’m sure if that dropped, they’d not be refunding me, nor would THEY be so willing to drop the cost a similar amount (i.e make it £116 per month, why don’t you!)

I need our other car serviced before sale, so seeing if the dealer can knock £60 off a service, and I’ll be happy…

And as to the ‘GP salary thing’…!! I was playing with the tesla ‘build a car website’ and yes, I could also probably afford a battery sports car, but no one likes being ripped off…look after the pennies etc etc!

DrP

wwaswas

So e deposit wituatoin in as a slight error

quite.

bruneep

Dr’s handwriting init

DezB
    Free Member

Doctor’s writing eh? Too slow 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

And as to the ‘GP salary thing’…!!

Our girls’ school is awash with mummies rocking up in fancy 4x4s and ‘executive’ cars. The one person that has a battered old car (and only changed car as they needed a 7 seater due to their family size so got an old Quasqai+2) is a GP – and her husband a well paid drugs executive.

Perhaps being a Doctor requires common sense rather than greed and a need for material possessions?

martinhutch

rather than greed and a need for material possessions?

Harder to explain that from the perspective of a well paid drugs executive. 🙂

poah
    Free Member

Perhaps being a Doctor requires common sense

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

johndoh
    Free Member

Harder to explain that from the perspective of a well paid drugs executive.

She wears the trousers.

DrP

I’m not overly fussed about having a new car..I’d chug around the the derv octavia.
    Actually, that’s a lie – this is used far more than the car:

So the inverse snobbery is strong with this one 😉

However, the wifey’s doing well with her business, does most of the driving around town, and (as I’d pondered before) I can’t go and spunk lots of pennies on nice dirty bikes, and begrudge her wanting a nice shiny car!!

DrP

lapierrelady

Cheeky question as to what pegs you’ve fitted to the kona there? Been looking to turn the back of mine into an occasional seat for pub trips etc.

cp

Another ot question… How do you find the weeride/knee interface?

Sandwich

and her husband a well paid drugs executive.

Does he drive this?

DrP

RE the foot pegs – they’re fairly cheap (about £12) moped foot pegs.
    I’m sure I searched something like “Moped foot pegs” on Ebay.

And when you’ve got the seat on the weeride, you DO need to ride fairly bow legged! Without the seat (with just the top bar) then the stepover height is pretty high – taking into account there’s also a set of bars behind you too, you do learn a degree of flexibility, as you can’t just swing a leg behind the saddle!!
    However, it’s almost by far my favourite bike! It’s really what cycling is all about for me – using a bike in the actual day-to-day life! (It’s my work bike too….do all my visits etc on it!)

DrP

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Some people do try it on…car dealership content…!’ is closed to new replies.