Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Some of your favourite Scottish trails could be under threat – Core Paths Plan
  • scottalej
    Free Member

Look TJ and Jim never mind what’s going on here, I’m quite happy with the situation now.

TJ please read and understand my posts. My experience is with Core Paths in Aberdeen area. The Ciaran path was merely an EXAMPLE.

I’m now involved with the council regarding future Core Paths in the Aberdeen area and I assure you that I am quite calm about the whole thing.

epicyclo

Firstly don’t underestimate what a fit wheelchair user is capable of or even one with a motorised chair.

It is access for all. We will still have the access, but may be deprived of a few thrills so others can enjoy it too.

As TJ says maybe you are not coming across in the way you intended.

Your point as I see it, is that we should all become involved, and that’s a good thing.

bigjim

LOL do you happen to work for her majesty the ****?

Nope. I think you are going to get this thread locked pretty soon though. You’ve admitted to burning 3 JCB’s so someone might be interested in you somewhere.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

TJ, I’m not saying that some of the estate roads are not scars on the landscape – some obviously are.

A highland estate is expensive to buy and run, and I don’t believe any estate does much better than break even. Just because the owner may be very well off, that doesn’t mean he wants to make a loss on a significant asset. Tracks bulldozed into the hills, unsightly as they may be, are part of developing that business – they don’t do it for fun.

In the main though, I was trying to point out that we should have a bit of sympathy for the estate owners whose land and tracks we use at their cost

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

scottalej

I did read and understand – I suspect tho you came across rather more shouty and hysterical than you intended.

Some of your favourite Scottish trails could be under threat

is rather stronger than what is actually happening

Not – “Aberdeen has over restored a few bits of path – pity”

I do strongly disagree tho with your basic attitude expressed. I am in favour of core paths, with path repair and restoration. I hate erosion I see everywhere that gets worse by the year and dislike the attitude of the MTBers who like these eroded paths and consider it wrong to repair them

Its good to get involved tho to make the MTBers voice heard. ~Good on you for getting involved

epicyclo

My heart bleeds for the estate owners and their loss making estates.

Perhaps they would consider turning them over to the local community so they can be spared this great loss.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Cpt – there is no need or defence for some of what has been done. Some estates can get it right, some do not. All that is needed is there should be planning scrutiny so that tracks are done with sympathy.

bigjim

The Ciaran path was merely an EXAMPLE.

How is it an example? The Highland CPP hasn’t even been adopted yet, it is still a candidate core path, so how can it being resurfaced and widened be a result of it being a core path?

HeatherBash
    Free Member

CW

Some light reading for you:

http://www.hilltrackscampaign.org.uk/index20.htm#where

And I didnt say all Estates I said: “the many”

scottalej
    Free Member

Jim don’t get hung up on the Ciaran path. The post was intended to get interest and get this message across.

‘Find out what you’re local council is up to before it’s too late! Get involved in meetings if you represent a mtb group as no one else on these commitees will represent the requirements of mountain bikers!’

These paths are being planned across Scotland and may affect the trails you ride. Maybe there are already mtb representatives on your local committee but don’t assume there are.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

Nope. I think you are going to get this thread locked pretty soon though. You’ve admitted to burning 3 JCB’s so someone might be interested in you somewhere

so you just a grass, dont worry im very sure you wolnt be able to build a workable case.. Muppet!

bigjim

so you just a grass, dont worry im very sure you wolnt be able to build a workable case.. Muppet!

No, you said you did it yourself, nobody else grassed you up 😆

bigjim

The post was intended to get interest and get this message across.

So you’ll maybe see why people are pointing out the issue with your approach to it then? In anything to do with the planning process, a measured, rational, informed and thruthful approach will get you heard by the authorities a lot better than a sensationalist one using on completely unrealistic shock hypothetical scenarios. Just some professional advice 🙂

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    My heart bleeds for the estate owners and their loss making estates.

Perhaps they would consider turning them over to the local community so they can be spared this great loss.

Unfortunately that is the prevailing attitude and is not very helpful. It is very expensive to maintain tracks, paths, drainage etc. Whoever owns the estates has to make money from it to cover these costs. Without maintenance access would quickly deteriorate as would our ability to enjoy that access.

Heather_Bash, to quote from the article in that link:

Hill tracks are important for essential land management and allow ease of access for farmers.

Farmers and crofters have a legitimate need to construct, maintain and develop tracks constructed in lower lying land for their purposes of land management.

I am absolutely not defending the right of landowners to bulldoze tracks anywhere they want in the countryside. I am trying to point out that there has to be some consideration from MTBers and other users that our ability to easily access the hills is down to the invesment by the estates in their tracks, paths and drainage. This comes at a big cost, and estates make very little or no profit to pay for this

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough captain. Its just on this particular issue there is no effective system of checks and balances to prevent estate roads that are out of place.

Many folk don’t see the whole picture when looking at the highland estates – its complex and nuanced and without maintenance the landscape will change. A source of income and employment is needed

epicyclo

CaptainMainwaring – Member
    Unfortunately that is the prevailing attitude and is not very helpful…

I am admittedly biased. Almost all my ancestors were “cleared”.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>I am absolutely not defending the right of landowners to bulldoze tracks anywhere they want in the countryside<

Thats fine then – I excuse you 😉

As for maintaining those that already exist I wholeheartedly agree with you – in fact I think the Scottish mtb community could, collectively, be doing a whole lot more to help maintain hill paths. Jumping on the Core Paths thing ‘to make our voice heard’ is not necessarily the best way to be going about things…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Obviously a ****.

Northwind

ilovemygears – Member

dont worry im very sure you wolnt be able to build a workable case

Of course not, it never actually happened.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Some of your favourite Scottish trails could be under threat – Core Paths Plan’ is closed to new replies.