Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • some of my thoughts on Hit the North this weekend
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

well, this saturday i’m entered into the second bike race i’ll have done since the early 90s (the 2nd STW weekender being my first one).
    my training/preparation has been cycle commuting (8 mile round trips) on a singlespeed roadrat each weekday for the last 6 months, plus one or two MTB rides chucked in for a laugh.
    so i reckon i’ll be slower than more or less everyone else there, but more importantly i have zero stamina so won’t be able to do more than about a lap or two.
    BUT… i don’t care. I’m gonna have a massive smile on my face as much as i possibly can, and i plan on enjoying every minute of it since for me it’s a celebration that i’m alive and reasonably able bodied after almost dying 9 years ago through heart failure. now, my heart is more or less totally normal, i’m 6+ stone lighter than i was at that time and mentally i’m in the best place i’ve been in for years. got new brakes and tyres on my stiffee, got an entire wardrobe of clothes for every possible weather system (but mostly grim) and i’m more or less all set.
    see you there!

ton

i reckon i know a bloke who will be even slower, but we can ride round a talk boolax if you fancy….. 😀

scaled
    Free Member

I’ll be riding a Mega so wave as you go past on the uphills yeah?

Thats assuming i dont bin it on some ice on this weeks night ride and crock myself 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

i reckon i know a bloke who will be even slower,

What Binners?

Got a leg injury at the moment so will be some way from competitive [ i would be some way from it without the leg injury tbh

binners

You won’t be the slowest! And neither will you Ton! See you at the back in the ‘mobile chicane/wide load’ section 😀

We can wave to JY as he flies past us, his long, flowing locks trailing in the wind behind him like some twisted, depraved Herbal Essences advert

ton

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Flounces – swishing locks as he does

project
    Free Member

are the numbers issued yet so we can put numbers to faces/bodies and bikes, to shout abuse/cheery inuendo, or just plain ignorance of why people wanting to ride bikes in the mud and snow.

Watched by lots of spectators.

RustySpanner

Not ridden for ages.

Currently very fed up, getting over a chest infection and considering just taking some photos.

Only missed one so far, so currently on MTFU pills and giving myself a big talking to.

Will probably decide Friday night.

binners

RS – Get really, really, really pissed on Friday. Then rock up on Saturday morning, having had 2 hours sleep, and career around the course, randomly banging into people and swearing gratuitously at spectators, while stopping occasionally to projectile vomit up chunks of last nights kebab.

That’s what I’ll be doing anyway. Did I mention its my birthday 😀

banks
    Free Member

I’ll be riding a Mega so wave as you go past on the uphills yeah?

glad i’m not the only idiot, i’m still very tempted to put some proper skinny slicks on the covert ..

eightyeight
    Free Member

Is there a full-susser category? Even I don’t think I can out-“last” someone with a hangover and 2 hours sleep and I would like to finish last in at least one category.

RustySpanner

binners – Member

RS – Get really, really, really pissed on Friday. Then rock up on Saturday morning, having had 2 hours sleep, and career around the course, randomly banging into people and swearing gratuitously at spectators, while stopping occasionally to projectile vomit up chunks of last nights kebab.

That’s what I’ll be doing anyway. Did I mention its my birthday

I did that a couple of years ago!

You going to the pub?

binners

You going to the pub?

I’m going to be enigmatic, and leave a feeling of mystery hanging in the air by not directly answering that question. You’ll have to guess 😀

xherbivorex
    Free Member

see, i can’t even use the hangover excuse!

no, i could blame the fact i’m riding a cove stiffee with 130mm z1 freeride fork and massive hans dampf tyres, but the truth is i’m just not that fast!

still, good bunch of lads gonna be pootling around the thing by the sounds of it so yes, it’s gonna be a belter i reckon… RS, you HAVE to ride it mate.

RustySpanner

😀

Shame WCA and Dr P aren’t here this year:
    The landlord at The Church had been flicking through the Porsche catalogue in anticipation.

Not sure about TJ and Slowoldgit, haven’t checked the start list.

Louis has been training. AND he’s coming to the pub.
    Hello Louis, if you’re reading this. 😀

RS, you HAVE to ride it mate.

Thanks mate.
    Mean that.

Looks like we’ll be digging the BMW’s out of the car park again.

Top Tip:
    If you’re sat in your car, in a huge queue, watching everyone else push exploding vans up a snow covered hill, get out and join in.
    It’s fun and it’ll keep you warm.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You’ll have to guess

Its a tough one this will binners go to the pub ….mmm nope I just cant call it

jekkyl

you’ll be riding a stiffey? 😯

solarpowered
    Free Member

I’m gonna have a massive smile on my face as much as i possibly can, and i plan on enjoying every minute of it since for me it’s a celebration that i’m alive and reasonably able bodied after almost dying 9 years ago through heart failure. now, my heart is more or less totally normal, i’m 6+ stone lighter than i was at that time and mentally i’m in the best place i’ve been in for years. got new brakes and tyres on my stiffee, got an entire wardrobe of clothes for every possible weather system (but mostly grim) and i’m more or less all set.

Liking your attitude! I’m looking forward to it too as I’ve decided to forget about being slow and just go have some fun 🙂

When you see me at the back with a blue PDSA top on and MASSIVE smile please say hi! Would love to put some names to faces …

See you all there 🙂

terrahawk
    Free Member

it’s going to be utterly brilliant. you have my (and Andrew’s) word.

if not, you can have (some of) your money back. One day.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s looking rather good for some dry dusty trails so I have been told..

Proper looking forward to it.

terrahawk
    Free Member

constant sunshine in the North Mancunian Riviera, mate.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    It’s looking rather good for some dry dusty trails so I have been told..

Where the hell are you going to be riding on Saturday?
    #OffToFitMudTyres

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have Beavers, white Lycra Tights and a grin the size of Zippy off the Muppets.

I think I’ll fit in rather well.

sambob
    Free Member

How muddy is it? Not that it’ll change my bike in any way. Last time I rode it I didn’t need to wash my bike after, how similar will this year be? 😉

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I wasn’t looking forward to dragging myself out of bed at 6am on my day off, but this has got me looking forward to it all over again.

Best start warning the gf how much mud the bike is going to deposit in the car on the way home.

hallz
    Free Member

This will be my second HTN and i’m hoping i learnt a few lessons last year!

One – it really doesn’t matter where you start. Try and start near the front with the ‘pros’ and you will feel like you are going backwards as riders surge past you! You will also subconsciously try and pedal a lot harder just to keep up! If its like last year, then the first section of the circuit is uphill – i was knackered when i got to the top and it spoiled the first half of the event for me.

Two – This is a ‘race’ for only a very select few. For the rest it will be about competing and enjoying themselves.

Three – dry feet = warm feet. It will be wet and muddy and pretty darn cold. Dress appropriately!

Looking forward to this one now!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Rigid ss 29er with cx tyres OR Geared cx bike with slicks?
    Really can’t be arsed with swapping tyres this close to the event….

sambob
    Free Member

29er.

alexpalacefan

+1 Citizen Smith, looking forward to it now.
    Watch out for the Palace shirt!

APF

edhornby

it’ll be sloppy

xherbivorex you won’t come last, there’s always someone slower/crashed/ill

I’ll be at the pub and our Matt is staying at ours so he will be there too

Rusty, you have a cough ? you big jesse 😀 I’ll buy you a beer if you complete a lap

xherbivorex
    Free Member

it’s gonna be ace, simple as that!
    i haven’t decided about the pub yet; it depends on how cold the gf gets marshalling, and how knackered i am after it all.
    plus we’re off to the bike and tri show at the GMEX (or whatever it’s called now) on sunday, followed by the first Brownbacks meeting of this year to decide what we’re doing about putting on another race series…

bikes. they’re pretty sweet really.

hallz
    Free Member

Watch out for the Palace shirt!

I’ll bring Dougie freedman with me… you can take him home with you! 🙂

h4muf
    Free Member

It’s gonna rock!

dawson

Top Tip:
    If you’re sat in your car, in a huge queue, watching everyone else push exploding vans up a snow covered hill, get out and join in.

+1 pushing that decrepit old motorhome up that hill in the snow was a ‘challenge’

Are there going to be the self regulated start rank places again? i.e. ‘Fast lads’ at the front to the ‘pootlers’ at the back?

I will be aiming for mid-field mediocrity (again) on a grey Genesis Latitude

solarpowered
    Free Member

Ok. Months of trialling different tyres….I’ve decided on black ones.
    Then I looked at suspension- this caused tons of problems as my first bike didn’t have any! Luckily I’ve been able to buy a bike that has ‘some’ for £50 🙂
    Next was the outfit – I (luckily) have no white tights, instead, some black ones to hide the lumpy bumpy bits as much as possible.

My question is gloves!!!!!!!! What bloody colour do I go for???? 😉
    For those that may be able to help I have a choice of pink or black….

MartynS

Rubber…..

MartynS

Oven….

ninkynonk
    Free Member

Rusty, I’ll send you a text on Friday

I’m just going to mince round and have a laugh, will be up for a curry as well like last year.

Yet to decide on my choice of tyres for the car park !

<serious mode> will be letting of a balloon for Spongebob at the start in case anyone else is taking one < >

dawson

a spot of video from last year (not mine)

EDIT: changed the links above as they are taking ages to load

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘some of my thoughts on Hit the North this weekend’ is closed to new replies.