Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I eat pigeon for breakfast…
  • psychle
    Free Member

Chowing down on my weetabix this morning, glanced out the window and spotted some movement in the next door garden… took a closer look and was rather suprised to see a beady eye peering back at me

Sparrowhawk 002 by ten_sim, on Flickr

’twas a Sparrowhawk (I think? A young female perhaps?) devouring a freshly caught pigeon, only 1-2m from me. Screened by the foliage and lattice between us, I was able to get within a metre or so and take some pretty decent close up shots, the bird didn’t seem to fazed by me being there, was really cool!

Sparrowhawk 016 by ten_sim, on Flickr

Sparrowhawk 010 by ten_sim, on Flickr

Sparrowhawk 015 by ten_sim, on Flickr

Sparrowhawk 040 by ten_sim, on Flickr

Quite a few more pics in this Flickr set if you’re interested 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

010 is a superb shot!

psychle
    Free Member

cheers, all these were pretty rushed as I wasn’t sure when she’d notice me and fly off, happy a few came out pretty good. 70-200mm L F4 IS lens certainly gives some ‘pop’ to the image, and a lovely ‘bokeh’, a bit of cropping and post processing and I reckon it’ll be even better 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

Wow, what a view, lucky you. 10 is also my favourite. Earlier this year was walking home when I saw a sparrowhawk grasping a pigeon on a pavement beside a busy main road. Was such a great sight – something so wild against the mundanity of human life – that I still regret not carrying a camera that day!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No cropping or fannying about required on 010.

Naranjada
    Free Member

What a gorgeous bird! And +many on image 010 …superb!

CaptJon
    Free Member

Great shots. I’d give them a little boost in photoshop though (it could be my screen, of course).

duntstick
    Free Member

Enjoyed that, great pics.

bruneep

some good pics there.

brakes
    Free Member

was this in Islington? good spot!

[i]wanders off to get some meat out of the freezer to put in the garden[/i]

psychle
    Free Member

Yep, in N1. Have never seen him/her around before, was very suprised to spot it out there this morning! Was equally suprised that she just continued ripping the pigeon to shreds with me 4ft away! Felt quite privileged really 😀

geoffj

Yep, in N1.

I was once sat in a meeting in Millbank Tower bored off my tits to be awoken by a Peregrine zooming past and capturing a rock dove in flight. Stunning!

Kevevs
    Free Member

cool can you come round here and take nice pictures of annoying gobshite baby herringull babies. **** annoying little screetchy brown bastards no understanding of ordinary people…

matt_outandabout

Fabulous!

gnarman
    Free Member

cool pic, love number 10 as well, really punchy!

crazy-legs

Great shots – I really like 16 but as everyone else has said, there’s not a bad picture in that whole album. 🙂

BenjiM

Incredible pics. Incidentally I’m going hunting with a Harris Hawk in November at Coniston Cold!

Kevevs
    Free Member

damn good snaps though. he’s just thinking about his next meal…

gnarman
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

very disappointing pics were great but just got me thinking about a fantastic Wood Pigeon Breast on Mash with an awesome sauce that I used to get in a pub I used to frequent…..

gnarman
    Free Member

mmmm… pigeon breast with red wine jus… tasty 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

aye. you’re lucky. It’s not often you get to see the best of nature right up front like that. bet it was a fascinating experience.

psychle
    Free Member

He actually came back today to pick over the carcass, was a bit of a mexican stand off between him and the large black tom that lives nearby, the cat was eying the hawk up as a potential meal I think but he thought the better of having a go at the raptor, probably the best policy! Now that might’ve been a good fight to see, who’d have won do you think?

I was literally around 1m from this bird, hence the decency of the shots (the quality lens helps as well), can’t be that often that someone gets that close to a wild sparrowhawk you’d think? Very privileged 😀

Was thinking about entering either 10 or 16 into the Wildlife Photographer of the Year comp, under the ‘Urban Wildlife’ category… you never know, could be in with a shot 😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I eat pigeon for breakfast…’ is closed to new replies.