Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Some gear and no idea
  • womble72
    Free Member

Im definitely not what you would call an ‘All the gear no idea’ guy. I have a 10 year old mountain bike and I have suitable shoes, a helmet and some gloves but I need help with what other type of clothing to buy in order to make my rides in various weather conditions more comfortable.

So some help with winter/summer riding gear is much appreciated.

wwaswas

Setting a budget is probably a good start.

What I’d get;

decent padded lycra shorts
    a softshell jacket (will be windproof and ‘mostly’ waterproof but far more breathable than a hard shell jacket)
    some waterproof baggy shorts or 3/4 lengths [edit: + some not waterproof ones]
    long sleeved base layer
    decent socks

and see how I got on after that.

thomthumb
    Free Member

depends on budget etc.

however good shorts are worth their weight if your doing long rides.

arm/leg/knee warmers are a great way to extend summer kit into autumn/spring for not much money. having said that i almost live in 3/4s outside winter.

waterproof is essential – i’ve never had an expensive one.

nice gloves + silk liners if it’s cold

merino socks.

HTH

z1ppy

Windproof gillet – my most used piece of kit, stuff it in your bag even if you don’t wear it.
    Lycra shorts, and baggies if you want
    Wicking t-shirts & jumper
    A waterproof/softshell BUT it must have pitzips.

I happily buy cheap & cheerful decathlon (where-ever) t-shirts/jumpers as they wick just as well as a fox/oakley one’s will.
    ANy waterproof without pitzips will cause you to overheat and so you’ll sweat excessively and end up as wet as you would without using a waterproof. Pitzips help you regulate you temp without letting too much water in (as per the front zip)

jambalaya
    Free Member

wwasawas has a good list. It does depend where you are going to ride and for how long, eg medium length rides n woodland vs longer rides on exposed high ground. I would also add a hydration pack.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

A windproof gilet is a very handy piece of kit.

float
    Free Member

if you buy anything less than rapha you wont be allowed back on this forum.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Winter and summer rides? Tricky as the best option is the temperatures and conditions range widely. My most versatile item is a Windstopper jacket with zip off arms. Can be worn as a gillet with the arms detached in summer, or with a long sleeved base layer – arms off or on depending on conditions or just next to the skins. Mine is a rather expensive Phantom II by Gore Bike Wear but I believe Altura make a very similar product. Windproof is very breathable. Have found most waterproof jackets give a ‘boil in the bag’ experience. A good pair of 3/4 with liners are useful. I would go for something waterproof and vented – I an Altura pair which have been pretty hardy if a little leaky.

senorj

Windproof gillet & arm warmers are my most used accessories.
    I use two or three layers when cold.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

As well as the clothing advice already mentioned:

mudguard (better not to get wet in the first place)
    glasses (either with interchangeable lenses or cheap clear safety glasses).
    drysac for keeping stuff dry inside backpack.

[edit]
    Personally i favour a waterproof jacket but then I also carry a very small (apple sized when stowed) montane windproof pullover for if it’s a bit damp but not hammering down, if I were limited to just one then I’d go with the waterproof one.

BigJohn

Everybody’s metabolism is different so what suits me might not suit you.

My essential is a single skin waterproof breathable jacket that packs down real small. Mine is a Gore-Tex jacket from Gore.

With a merino (or other tech fabric) base layer and a merino (or other tech fabric) heavier outer layer, that satisfies my needs in 95% of weather conditions. Although last Thursday I could have done with less – it was so warm, and on Sunday I could have done with a tad more (as it was so cold) but Sunday I was really only suffering from cold feet.

womble72
    Free Member

Thanks for the replys. It mainly the cold and wet weather that makes riding difficult and uncomfortable for me. I shall invest in some good quality shorts for starters and the rest will follow when funds allow. Do you recommend buying online, if so what sites do you use, or a trip to the lbs to see what’s available

zbonty

A couple of times a year Aldi do some cycling gear. Around September for colder weather gear, soonish for summer stuff i guess

Some of it is excellent value. I’ve had two long sleeve zip up jersey/soft shells a couple of years ago. One is really warm, one slightly thinner. Superb bits of kit-really great fit and literally 1000s of commuter miles for less than £15 each.
    Not all of the range is amazing but the above were superb value.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

nice big bag so you can carry a spare set of ridding gear on wet cold days, more water than you think, food, and a CHAIN TOOL

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’y buy online unless you’ve been cheeky & tried them on somewhere first!
    I’ve been riding about 22 years, have 2 large holdalls full of good stuff.
    & still can’t get it right! 😉

chrisdw
    Free Member

Padded shorts are a must for me.
    A proper pair of riding shorts. I have Endura Singletracks

On top I have a long sleeve baselayer, then either a Rab softshell or a Mavic Gore-Tex jacket. The water proof I am slightly unimpressed with as it is not very breathable. I stayed drier and at a more stable temperature in my softshell.

Come summer I normally go with a thin long sleeve baselayer or compression top for some wicking action with a standard short sleeve t-shirt on top.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Some gear and no idea’ is closed to new replies.