Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Some feedback on mph on a SS for a 19st & smoker please if you will. (MHealth)
  • hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Ok Ok so I am close to knocking the rollies out of my daily routine.

I am 19st kitted up and just went out for 50 mins on the SS 29er with a 2:1 ratio covering a distance of approx 8 miles.

Even google maps is saying I should of done it in 45mins ffs or is that for one for those geared roady going bikes. 😛

Considering I picked a rather optimistic gear ratio to begin with, I am quite taken with giving myself pain 😈
    I also think I did quite well as I was going to skip today’s mainly road ride after getting to sleep at 3:30 am and having Martini head ache.

To carry on from the Mental Health thread earlier, even though medication for certain diagnosis’ can be enduring and cause sustained lack in motivation etc, I can thoroughly recommend that SS’ing it is less pain than staying in worrying about crap like am I going to get run over by a car or the like.

So for the chap (op) on that thread, honestly bud, be free go wild and go ride!

8)

jam-bo

Was there a question in there?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

The Q was mainly how many mph should I be realistically covering and yes I know it’s kind of individual to each person’s fitness levels.

Just wondering what kind of mph others are achieving out there on their 29er ss and if they smoke and are overweight too.

kerley
    Free Member

With that gearing and riding on the road I would cover 8 miles in around 30 minutes
    Off road with same gearing around 35 minutes.

The limitation is the gearing as 55GI (assuming you have around 2.1 tyres) ) is what I use off road and it is too low for that half the time.

I don’t smoke and I am almost half your weight so not a great comparison but I am quite old…

singlespeedstu

2:1 on a 29er ss for a fat smoker in a hilly area is a little optimistic.
    Gear it down a bit and you’ll find it much more sensible on the climbs and flats.
    You can always use your “assets” to power you on the descents. 8)

njee20
    Free Member

Unanswerable question.

singlespeedstu

EDIT to my post.
    Martini drinker.
    Sorry but you’re ****.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

nothing to do with gear ratio, everything to do with weight and smoking and booze

TheBrick
    Free Member

Depending on the terrain it does not sound too bad. Off road I aim for 20kph ave speed (SS or geared). So 8miles => 12.8 km @ 20kph => 38.4 min. I think 50 min sounds like a good start and as you become accustomed you should see speed increase.

kerley
    Free Member

2:1 on a 29er ss for a fat smoker in a hilly area is a little optimistic

Where did it say it was hilly? If hilly then yes 55GI may be too much although going down a gear doesn’t always make it faster (just easier but even slower)

TheBrick
    Free Member

P.S. every time you fancy a fag have ****. This will distract you during your crave time and give your hands something to do. Don’t do it in the smoking area at work though.

singlespeedstu

Where did it say it was hilly?

I was trying to be kind. 🙄

nickc

depends on the terrain, how much climbing?

mjsmke

If you managed the ride in a 2:1 gear I’d leave it as it is and keep at it. Give up the smoking and let your lungs recover and you will get noticeable faster.

It’s impossible to say a speed as it depends on terrain and conditions. Just keep at it and set yourself goals by timing yourself on set loops.

HughStew

Go at whatever pace feels good, if it’s too hard set it up with an easier gear.

Unless you’re Froome, Quintana, Cavendish, Greipel… there are always going to be faster guys out there. Enjoy it, and if you feel like it try to beat your PB.

Whenever I have a ride where I feel fat, slow and unfit I always console myself with the thought that at least I’m doing something about it

Have fun.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Ok, so I live in quite a hilly area and most of it was flat for the direction on my route this time.

I just really want to now get on the fitness thing big time and finally lose the lard that I have become accustomed to (if that makes sense) and that I think I shall indeed sick to the 2:1 ratio. Running a Thunder Burt rear and a Racing Ralph front both in 2.1″ if that makes any difference.

Oh and Stu, for the record, Tescos decision to deploy a young lady about my age (just before the keep your eyes off your older to be her father comment imminently coming) offering free Martini and soda with a piece of lime was what did it, never thought of Martini as a drink for me, but on a Saturday shop for breakfast it was much welcomed.
    Then she politely asked if we would be interested in purchasing a bottle for £8. I declined at the time but next week, it was far too tempting not to.

Anyway, I could of kept going had I had a banana and an extra bottle of water with me but house chores were beckoning. 🙄

singlespeedstu

Was it shaken or stirred?

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Neither, just poured then drunk.
    Sorry to disappoint.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I would have shaken her though 😯 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Some feedback on mph on a SS for a 19st & smoker please if you will. (MHealth)’ is closed to new replies.