• This topic has 47 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ant77.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Some extreme Surrey Hills riding.
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

chrisgibson
    Free Member

For the record I am not complaining because I am slow or ‘middle of the board’. It was more wondering why if you have a GPS glitch do you keep the ride? I had a few many years ago when I did more running than riding that were giving me stupid split times (4 minute miles etc) so I got rid of them. Yes it meant loosing some data but it made sense to have accurate reflections of what I was capable of.

Whether a glitch or digital EPO someone has seen that they have done a segment at 145km/h and decided to keep it. I just don’t see the reason for it.

As for guys being much better and riding tight twisty stuff at 30+ then hats off to them, I will never be that good/brave.

The ride is this one for those interested – https://www.strava.com/activities/305139297 – the section is ‘root blast before rootiful’.

Cheers for all the replies interesting to see different situations where things like this exist.

njee20
    Free Member

A 0.0 mile segment? Yeah, that’ll never work right, that’s not erroneous per se, just beyond the sampling rate of most Devices.

I’d not delete a ride because someone was daft enough to create a segment 4ft long in the middle of it!

peekay

That particular segment is useless. There are a couple of routes down off the main track to the bit of Wolvern’s Lane by the stables, it is also possible to take a more direct, faster line. The segment is so short or probably can’t differentiate between the different routes.
    Strava sometimes throws up GPS segment errors but I do not and would not expect others to analyse each segment along a ride and then delete the whole ride if one of these nonsense segments shows a nonsense time.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

You’re a poor man’s RichMTBguru DT!

That was my first though njee 🙂

I’ve a couple of KOMs that are pretty safe. One is because it’s an A-B-A ride (one up, one down), from my door step and I do it almost weekly.

The other because, for some unknown reason, I once rode a ¬6 min segment in 2 minutes. 2nd place is 6:01, my other 2nd PB is around 6:20.

Other routes I ride regularly have just been ridden by far faster riders. A friend of mine on a carbon HT disappears into the DH distance. Rocky, bumpy, fast DH, with me on a 180mm FS.

LS
    Free Member

It was more wondering why if you have a GPS glitch do you keep the ride?

That assumes that whoever rode it actually looks at their ride files in any detail, plenty of people just log total time, distance etc and don’t really care about segments.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Strava KOMs for me where summed up by a video someone posted here from Cavedale in the Peaks (great techy wet rocky descent I have never cleared without putting a foot down FWIW), the headcam video shows him screaming around most of the trail features on the grass on the side, I mean whats the point ?

Also how many top class events are timed using your phone GPS, answer none ! Its not even used for club level enduros, there is a reason for that.

ant77
    Free Member

I ride with a few of the guys who have koms around the Surrey Hills.
    Can confirm they are very quick!
    I have the fitness up the hills, but they have ‘flow’ and just pump through things and leave me for dead!

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Some extreme Surrey Hills riding.’ is closed to new replies.