• This topic has 51 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by myti.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Some dog owners
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Took son to Ally pally this morning and having a nice stroll through the park and my son is enjoying his morning treat of a croissant and a bloody dog comes bounding up jumps on him scares the shit out of him so my son decides running away is the best option even though I’m telling him to stand still, dog chases him and takes his food out of his hand !

So now we have a scared son with no food and did the dog owner say sorry no did they offer to pay for another croissant no.

Bloody fuming control the dog or don’t let it off a bloody lead !

I know not all dog owners are that irresponsible but the ones that are are dick heads !

Let’s hear your stories of irrisponsible owners ???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

some people are dick heads, end of

soobalias
    Free Member

is that a rant? the triple question mark ending, sort of, suggests it might be

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Gotta love the snarling angry beast growling and baring his teeth at you, completely out of control and not on a lead. This is accompanied by the owner cheerily saying ‘don’t worry, it’s bikes he doesn’t like’

Yeah? well just what the *&^% do you think this is I’m sitting on?

johndoh
    Free Member

Walking through the park last week and two guys with several big labs and they were all running around all over the path as they were being made more excitable by the owners (teasing them with balls pretending to be thrown etc).

I walked by them and then one of the labs ran into the back of my legs nearly taking me off my feet.

Me being me, I just shouted at the owners for not keeping them under control.

johndoh
    Free Member

The question is though – what would Wonnie Pickewin do?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

The question is though – what would Wonnie Pickewin do?

Suppose that depends on whether the dog knew who he is

perchypanther
    Free Member

two guys with several big labs

DaRC_L

I know not all dog owners are that irresponsible but the ones that are are dick heads !

A bit like BMW/Audi/Merc drivers it’s the bad ones you remember…

vickypea
    Free Member

Dog muck and dog muck in bags.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’m sure he’d rather have had another croissant

langylad
    Free Member

‘Gotta love the snarling angry beast growling and baring his teeth at you.’

Thought you were referring to the OP 😀

I have a big daft lab. When i see people/other dogs approach i always put him on the lead, if they are dog savvy I let him off, if not i keep him on the lead.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Dog muck and dog muck in bags.

..hanging from trees

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks for letting us know about that OP.

wwaswas

I love the thread title edit that leaves the url as it was 🙂

Gunz
    Free Member

My Wife is terrified of dogs after being attacked as a child and despite trying hard not to, it’s now rubbed off on our Daughter. I explained this this to an owner in the woods last week and she still laughed as her loveable scamps beared their teeth and growled at my petrified family. If anyone else finds themselves in the same situation, I discovered that finding a stout stick and then baseball batting the animal around the head has the desired effect.
    I don’t particularly dislike dogs but it’s always such a joy to go the Big Bike Bash and not have to put up with other peoples’ mutts.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’ve had kids run up to my dog when its on a lead. The parents just say “oh, little Jonny just wants to play with the dog, its all right”. I guess some parents are c u next tuesdays as well.

jekkyl

had one dog try to bite my tyres once, he actively tried to target and deflate my rear tyre with his big growling incisors. The woman says ‘its okay he got hit by a bike once’ Oh thats okay then. I was more surprised by the cleverness of the dog trying to deflate my tyre.

allthepies
    Free Member

Was it a chocolate croissant ?

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve had kids run up to my dog when its on a lead. The parents just say “oh, little Jonny just wants to play with the dog, its all right”.

Sorry? You have a dog, take it out in public then get upset at children coming up to it wanting to stroke it?

Drac

So now we have a scared son with no food and did the dog owner say sorry no did they offer to pay for another croissant no.

Be honest now. Your son hadn’t tidied up had he?

Drac

Sorry? You have a dog, take it out in public then get upset at children coming up to it wanting to stroke it?

It’s not wise to let you kids run up to strange dogs without asking if the dog is Ok.

houndlegs
    Free Member

johndoh,correct. I have an old dog who doesnt like to be bothered. As Drac says, not wise at all.

DaRC_L

It’s not wise to let you kids run up to strange dogs without asking if the dog is Ok.

Agreed.
    However, dog owners need to realise that they have a pet animal not a small person. They can then ensure that their animal knows the hierarchical order of their pack is owner & owners family -> all other people -> dog

johndoh
    Free Member

Ohh I agree (I always ask permission before letting my girls near a dog). I guess it comes down to the interpretation of what he was saying though – it sounded to me like he didn’t want to be bothered by people.

Cougar

“My son only wants to play with your dog”

“That’s great, my dog is on a lead because he only wants to bite your son’s face off. Shall we let them both have a bit of fun?”

Cougar

What’s wrong with that, it’s his dog not a petting zoo. Would you let a passing stranger have a quick go on your bike?

Drac

They can then ensure that their animal knows the hierarchical order of their pack is owner & owners family -> all other people -> dog

And parents can teach their kids that some dogs bite so it’s best to ask.

What I do think is a good idea though is:

johndoh
    Free Member

What’s wrong with that, it’s his dog not a petting zoo.

Fair enough, but what do you expect to happen when you take a dog out in public? Surely it goes with the territory to expect some attention from small children that like dogs? And of course he can say no, but he seems to be surprised that some children do come up to him in the first place.

Cougar

Fair enough, but what do you expect to happen when you take a dog out in public?

I’d expect to be left the hell alone to walk my dog in peace, to be honest. Other people’s parenting inabilities are not my concern, perhaps they should get them leads or something?

The irony here is, this is exactly the same situation as non-dog owners who don’t want some uncontrolled mutt slutched up to the fetlocks leaping up at them to them regardless of how many times he’s never bitten anyone.

The bottom lime is, you don’t get to invade other people’s personal space without invitation, whether that’s with a child or an animal or anything else. Someone’s basic right to go about their business without being mithered by strangers does not suddenly go out of the window because they happen to have something cute with them.

They might not mind being approached, they might welcome it even, they might love nothing more than to give a dog a quick pat or bring joy to a small dogless child, but critically that’s their call to make, their place to offer, not yours to take with a self-entitled “you’ve got something I want to play with so what do you expect”? Jesus christ man, that’s the same argument used by sex pests.

johndoh
    Free Member

You are not a very tolerant person then are you Cougar. Do you have any social skills other than being angry on here?

Cougar

Yes actually, I’m angry in lots of other places. (-:

More seriously, I’m also Aspie, so my social skills dictate that I would often very much like to be left alone by people I don’t know unless I choose otherwise, thanks very much.

mogrim

I’d expect to be left the hell alone to walk my dog in peace, to be honest.

Really? Dog walking’s not like that, it’s a social activity, and a certain amount of talking to other people comes with the territory.

johndoh
    Free Member

More seriously, I’m also Aspie, so my social skills dictate that I would often very much like to be left alone by people I don’t know unless I choose otherwise, thanks very much.

Fair enough, but people don’t want to pet you, it’s your dog they like 😉

Cougar

Really? Dog walking’s not like that, it’s a social activity, and a certain amount of talking to other people comes with the territory.

It wouldn’t be if I had a dog. I’m sure it can be a social activity if you choose to make it so. Ooh, there’s that c-word again that some people seem to find so difficult.

mogrim

It wouldn’t be if I had a dog. I’m sure it can be a social activity if you choose to make it so. Ooh, there’s that difficult c-word again.

That would be extremely unfair on the dog, as they need access to their own species as well as humans. Which means you end up talking to their owners. Please don’t get a dog.

jam-bo

It wouldn’t be if I had a dog

so you are getting angry about walking a dog you don’t have?

SiB
    Free Member

son decides running away is the best option even though I’m telling him to stand still

well in that case

control the dog son or don’t let it off a bloody lead harness

Cougar

Actually, to be honest, you may have a point about the ‘public’ thing if you’re talking about parks full of children and suchlike. I probably wouldn’t be walking a dog in such a place in the first place (because dog mess and children’s play areas are not good bedfellows), I was taking ‘public’ to mean places like the canal towpath which is a popular dog toilet near where I live.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

many people seem to get dogs who don’t have children. Food for thought.
    many people with dogs treat them as their children. they aren’t.
    many people with dogs let them crap everywhere. don’t.
    dogs are lower in the pecking order than people and should be taught this.
    dogs are in essence wild animals, albeit largely domesticated, they can be unpredictable.
    teach your children to approach cautiously and always ask the owners if they can say hello and even then do it carefully.
    I’m more a cat person but I don’t mind dogs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Some dog owners’ is closed to new replies.