Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Some bikes just look 'right'
  • honourablegeorge

gmex619 – Member
    Whoops.. Didn’t realise it wasn’t an Undead.

A friend ofmine has a previous DH frame from Evil and loved it.. No cracking issues and would love another.

Must admit though that I’d like one too despite there reputation for cracking..

Yeah, the Revolt (I had to google it) looked ace, and was supposed to be a great bike, but there were just so many problems, and no warranty replacement frames – they really messed it up.

The Undead is more or less the same frame in carbon. It does look amazing. I’ll wait for their next bike, at least.

gmex619
    Free Member

To be honest.. I’ve not seen or heard alot about the Undead dying. (Besides test frames)

Also all of the Revolt owners who’s frames failed got free Undead warranty replacements.. (If covered under warranty).

jimthelad
    Free Member

With the underlining it looked more like a q.
    It’s single ring, so the Di2 shifters just have one button on the end of each tri bar extension. A thing of beauty and engineering.

I’m guessing I’m not the only one that thinks this, but there is a direct relationship between the angle between the top tube and seat stays of a hardtail, and how good looks. ie, My medium BFe looks better than a large, but not as good as a small.

gmex619
    Free Member

Fair does. 🙂

Carbon ring too or is it just the colour?

Di2 does seem a waste on it though.. More weight..

honourablegeorge

gmex619 – Member

Also all of the Revolt owners who’s frames failed got free Undead warranty replacements.. (If covered under warranty).

They did – but the Undead hadn’t been designed at the time, never mind produced – so n bike for a year or two.

jimthelad
    Free Member

Carbon ring too or is it just the colour?

IIRC it’s a decal on a normal chainring. Might be wrong though.

Di2 does seem a waste on it though.. More weight..

True, but an end shifter wouldn’t look quite as neat. Add a hub gear and it would look incredible!!

Northwind

shandcycles – Member

No I wouldn’t, because it’s customers bike set up and built to fit him.

Well, there’s no way to say this without sounding like a **** but it doesn’t look like it was built to fit him- it looks like it’s too short and he’s had to push the seat back to try and sort it. Now I’m not saying that’s what’s actually happened, bike fit is a personal choice but that’s the first impression it gives me.

So tell him that, and I’ll have it off him for a pound 😉 least I can do. TBF i think it’s lovely other than a couple of minor details.

gmex619
    Free Member

Have too agree with Northwind here.. First impression screams bad sizing.

Also Jim: Hub gear? Di2 is lighter than an Alfine or something.. Plus not sure you can do it with a disc..

IanW
    Free Member

This thread says why we all love our kids and why we aren’t all talented artist in one easy read.

jimthelad
    Free Member

gmex, I never said it would be lighter. And you’re right, it probably isn’t possible, but it would look cool as all hell.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well, there’s no way to say this without sounding like a **** but it doesn’t look like it was built to fit him- it looks like it’s too short and he’s had to push the seat back to try and sort it.

Saddle set back has little to do with whether a bike is too “long” or “short”. Its also set right in the middle of the seatpost, so I’d say the seat tube angle and set back is bang on!

The frame looks ok apart from the placement of the cable stop for the rear mech outer.

The short upright stem looks shite though, as does the chainset, mtb cassette, mtb rear mech, saddle and non-disc rims.

Andy

The Shand Stoater I saw at the Bespoked Bristol Show was the nicest bike there IMO. Lovely built frame. I really want one 😥

bencooper
    Free Member

You see, this is why I’m not showing you lot any of my frames 😉

Sizing looks good to me – the saddle isn’t particularly far back.

somafunk

I like this eriksen, not entirely convinced on the lefty fork though but if came home to find the postie had left such a bike in my shed wi a lefty fork i doubt i’d kick off.

Northwind

Nuclear option!

IMG_0346 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

aracer
    Free Member

Sizing is the least of the issues about the bike in the OP – to be honest I think it looks fine. The fact it’s a customer’s bike built as he wanted probably means it looks beautiful to him, but you can’t dismiss the objections lots of other people have to it because of that.

Road rims are properly heavy! 465g for an Open Pro, compare to about 340g for a Stans Alpine.

Yeah, because that’s really comparing like with like 🙄 How much does a Notubes Alpha rim weigh (or even an AC CR350), how much an X317?

6079smithw
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ahhh aracer beat me to it. Mind you I have some 16″ rim-brake rims that are lighter than my 29er disc ones, so maybe he’s right.

gmex619 PLEASE tell me you are having a laugh. Aero rims on any mtb, let alone a burly-ish HT?

shandcycles
    Free Member

Then all is well with the world Still can’t see ’em on the fork but then I actually do need to go to Specsavers

they’re on the inside of the fork leg about 1/4 of the way up, so they don’t interfere with the calliper. There’s also an eyelet on the underside of the crown.

Anyhoo… Do you do forks on their own?

Not at the moment.

Well, there’s no way to say this without sounding like a **** but it doesn’t look like it was built to fit him- it looks like it’s too short and he’s had to push the seat back to try and sort it. Now I’m not saying that’s what’s actually happened, bike fit is a personal choice but that’s the first impression it gives me.

Wow, I’m impressed, I’ve been doing this every day for 10 years and thought I was pretty good but it turns out you can tell if a bike fit is wrong without even seeing the rider! When can you start?

It’s one of our production frames and it’s set up for the customer. The saddle is where it needs to be to get the correct setback. Which is actually smack bang in the middle of saddle rails. If you say it’s wrong though, I’m sure you’re right. 😕

First impression screams bad sizing.

What a load of old gash.

Saddle set back has little to do with whether a bike is too “long” or “short”. Its also set right in the middle of the seatpost, so I’d say the seat tube angle and set back is bang on!

Ah, someone with some sense….

oh, hang on…

The frame looks ok apart from the placement of the cable stop for the rear mech outer.

Ah, ok, the Shimano OEM spec book must be wrong. Where should the stop be and I’ll let them know?

mtb cassette

It’s not.

mtb rear mech

It’s not. but if you’d prefer me to fit a short cage I will. It won’t work with the triple chainset but when the customer complains I’ll tell him not to worry ’cause some keyboard jock on STW said it’s ok.

messiah
    Free Member

Chainset…

Other than that I think it looks ace

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

As mountain bikes go I think this looks more ‘right’ than most:

samuri
    Free Member

Blimey, that Kona is almost there. Chainset looks awful though.

crazy-legs

Blimey, that Kona is almost there. Chainset looks awful though.

+1.
    The BMC full sus ^^ is also almost there; in fact for a full sus it’s very good looking indeed given that most full sus bikes look like the bastard offspring of a crash in a Meccano factory and an explosion in a paint factory.

This is nice:

It looks purposeful, reasonably minimalist without the huge screaming graphics a lot of bikes seem to be afflicted with yet aethestically pleasing. I’d say it needed black bar tape though. And it should have been photographed in the big chainring.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ that’s quite nice, thing I don’t like about it are/is the yellow’ish rims on the tyres, I hate that kinda thang, they should be either white(gash) or black, simple. The bar tape is ok but then the saddle should match the colour, white. It’s got the wrong cranks on it, should be mechanical Red.

Nice though.

I’m all for Niner Air9C but I’m not posting a pic of one… That’s a gorgeous looking bike.

I have yet to see a nice looking FS, the nearest I can find is SC’s Tallboy LT.

I’ll find a pic of a drop bar fatty, one that was on a Rapha Blog a while back, now that looked fabulous..

samuri
    Free Member

No. The English is wrong. The rear triangle looks like it’s off a full suss bike.
    Post of a picture of your track bike. That’ll settle this argument. 😉

messiah
    Free Member

I’m surprised Shand didn’t show the Pink Stooshie they posted on Facebook the other day…

*swoon*

Northwind

shandcycles – Member

If you say it’s wrong though, I’m sure you’re right.

Not being funny but you even quoted the part of my post where I said exactly the opposite. But if you want to be offended, that’s your right I’m sure.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Not being funny but you even quoted the part of my post where I said exactly the opposite. But if you want to be offended, that’s your right I’m sure.

fair enough, just wanted to put my point across… I ‘aint gonna be offended, it’s just bikes, innit? 🙂

justinbieber

Old Konas generally always look good:

messiah
    Free Member

Old Konas generally always look good:

Unless they are mine 😈

Scary twitchy ditch-magnet b*&*ard of a thing to ride… “I will kill you!”

HansRey

just received one of these…

Simple build, easy to ride and nice colour scheme. It looks like a proper bike.

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s got the wrong cranks on it, should be mechanical Red.

SRAM red cranks with Shimano gearing and brakes? FSA is fine but the black/white SL:K would have been better although you’d have got grey-silver chainrings

bikebouy
    Free Member

Both of these: drop bar fatties..

[/url] image by bikebouy, on Flickr[/img]

[/url] image by bikebouy, on Flickr[/img]

And no, that English should be kitted out all in Red.

flange
    Free Member

I’m all for Niner Air9C but I’m not posting a pic of one… That’s a gorgeous looking bike.

I can post a pic of one if you want chap? 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

No flange, please noooooo 😆

Have you raced it yet?

flange
    Free Member

I haven’t mate. I’ve been ill for a fair while so lack of fitness is keeping me away from the races at the moment. In fact, it’s still hung in the shop next to this…

RDO too, those are A-head wheels which are jolly nice. And jolly expensive. No Ki2 though so mine wins….

hanneke
    Free Member

Wozza
    Free Member

With the exception of the Konas, obviously, you’re all wrong… this is awesumz to the power of rad:

samuri
    Free Member

I’m surprised Shand didn’t show the Pink Stooshie they posted on Facebook the other day…

Now that’s nice.

bigmountainscotland
    Free Member

Though there’s a bit of an optical illusion going on with the wheels, I like to think my steed is almost as pretty as the scenery.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Some bikes just look 'right'’ is closed to new replies.