• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Some Alps photos
  • jhw
    Free Member

No mountain biking in these, just mountaineering, but as mountain biking (and to some extent this forum) is what got me into general high mountain stuff, specifically advice received here to go and have a look at the riding in Chamonix, I thought it worth posting! I, uh, sold my beloved Enduro to pay for the gear for this stuff…down to one hardtail now…if I want to ride in the Alps these days, I have to rent.

Anyway, areas are Saas Fee and Chamonix. Mountains climbed are the Jegihorn soloed (not photographed), Dri Horlini, Weissmies traverse, the Lagginhorn traverse, the Nadelhorn normal route, the Hohbarghorn north face and traverse to Nadelhorn, the Portjengrat, and the Kuffner Arete on Mont Maudit.

Possibly heading out again in the immediate future for more.

Dri Horlini

Weissmies

Lagginhorn traverse solo, with views over to the Weissmies N ridge, which I would also like to return to for a solo climb

Aletsch glacier from Mischabel hut

Lenzspitze – Nadelhorn traverse (not done)

3 teams on the Lenzspitze NNE face

Scoping the approach to the Hohbarghorn N face

Nadelhorn normal route

Hohbarghorn N face, big seracs on approach. C-r-r-r-ack. Solo

How to capture the steepness?

Sudden top-out onto snow arete with huge view of the Valais and the Matterhorn

Then you have to do this mixed ridge to the peak at the back, the Nadelhorn

Portjengrat, a long rock ridge on the other side of the valley

By not using ropes except for one move, we cut about 3.5 hours off guidebook time

I made a series of partner upgrades on this trip – this is ****, the only female member of a, er, very butch military unit in a very cold European state, spends most of her life in various forests and is a mean navigator in a whiteout at night (blackout?). We did the Kuffner arete.

Stumbled across tent in the Cirque du Maudit

Another one

Approaching final climb to shelter, 2330

2hrs’ sleep and climb

The last time I was in Chamonix before this, I did a 2-day ride inspired by some of Freeridenick’s tips, from Flaine to the left in this photo, up and down the valleys you see at about 2,100m, to the Grenairon refuge then back over into Flaine to Magland. Could’ve made it three days if had gone into Sixt valley but was tired. Greatest riding I’ve seen. There is also world-class ice climbing in this area but it rarely forms and is vulnerable to avalanche.

edd

Epic photos Jack, I like! Edd

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

nice, what tyres for vertical Ice walls?

jhw
    Free Member

High Rollers@reduced PSI and careful w/the rear brake

freeridenick
    Free Member

Fab,

oh to be young,free and single again 😈

So you coming up Le Buet in a month….

jhw
    Free Member

Would like to, yeah, though we’re looking at getting the Eurolines out the week before. Tried and failed Le Buet last year so would be cool to tick it off! Trips being discussed to all kinds of places this winter/spring on the strength of the last few climbs on this trip so really having to watch the £££s

alpin
    Free Member

looks cold. looks amazing, but i’ve never had the urge to go that extreme. i like the odd walk in the alps and maybe a little risky traverse, but that’s just not for me…

.down to one hardtail now…if I want to ride in the Alps these days, I have to rent.

no you don’t…

molgrips
    Free Member

Magic.

freeridenick
    Free Member

So many plans and not enough time!

jhw
    Free Member

It was damned cold! Descending Maudit was vicious, to the extent that my feet are still slightly numb (just mild frostnip). Decision-making failure – (very good) partner a bit tired and therefore slow descending, should’ve lowered her and raced down myself, didn’t occur to me, bang, got nipped.

peterfile
    Free Member

Awesome!

Absolutely epic 🙂

Do you have a flickr account or similar with more pics?

jhw
    Free Member

Aw, thanks all. jw14185z is my flickr ID. No more pics from this trip, but a few from others

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Some Alps photos’ is closed to new replies.