Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Some advice & thoughts on SS gearing please
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I currently run my SS 32:16 which I find adequate for most of my rising off road. I’m currently using the SS mainly on the road now for my commute which is 11 miles with 4 uphill sections, not crazy steep but long. The 32:16 is ok for the uphills but I find I spin like a fool on the flats in between; good for interval training but can be quite frustrating.

I think I need to change my ratio but dont know wheteher to change the cog on the back to a 15 or look at a bigger ring up front, maybe a 34? Bigger? I appreciate any change will make the uphills harder but should make it easier to get a better rythem going on the flats.

What say those who clearly know better then me?

qwerty
    Free Member

Rear is easier than front to swap around.

composite
    Free Member

I normally ride in 36-14 backwards and forwards to work on my hardtail. It’s not SS though I just don’t change gear. Never spin out and I like getting out the saddle for the one real hill either way.

I haven’t ridden in almost 12 weeks though because of a broken arm. I should be able to start commuting again next Monday but I suspect it might take me a while to get back to using that ratio though. 😕

stayhigh

I’d thought that it might be quicker to swap the rear out so maybe getting a 15 is the way to go?

p7rich
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll always have a challenge finding something that’s right on AND off road. I ride 32:16 off road and i find that perfect. I took up SSing last year and bought a few alternative rear cogs but have never once considered moving away from 32:16 for off road. Very little to lose from trialling a 15 or 14 on the back but i suspect you may find those challenging off road. I can dig out my surplus unused cogs and check the sizes if you’re interested in having them off me at cost?

bm0p700f
    Free Member

If you were to try 32:15T is not goling to help much on the flats but will hurt a bit more on the hills.

32:14T sounds better and all you will have to do is introduce a half link to maintain your curent tensioner position if you use one.

A taller tyre will have the same effect as well. you would suprised now much of a difference rolling diamter makes.

You could also try a 34:14T and a narrow low profile tyre to reduce roilling diamter to make the change less severe.

tinsy
    Free Member

You could try a few gears on there… This is just the situation they were invented for. 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

💡 dinglespeed

stayhigh

I plan to keep the 32:16 for when using it off road its more for the road side I was looking at changing the ratio.

My tyres are City Jet 1.5’s which arent the tallest but are very smooth roling.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Some advice & thoughts on SS gearing please’ is closed to new replies.