Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • ……some advice on removing internal load bearing wall and doing it properly..
  • moniex
    Free Member

I need some advice on what to do and who to consult as I want to remove the wall between my kitchen and dining room in our 1930’s semi ( which has had a loft conversion as well ).

I know I will need building regs, some engineer calculations, maybe an architect and of course a good well insured builder…… Who do I get first?

We really want it done properly, so any advice on what to look out for, any pitfalls?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
    Simone

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Check everything the “professionals” do

apologies to those of us in these professions but I have had multiple bad experiences.

Calculations for the load bearing RSJ should be available.

Check with the council your requirements as regards building regs, planning and drawings. You might not need an architect at all. try to get a builder ( and oter pros) that are recommended by someone you know.

think long and hard about all the services such as lighting, wiring for sound etc so you can get it all done at the same time

moniex
    Free Member

Thanks, it is those bad experiences that worry me. I rather spend a little more and get it done properly, we are not planning to ever sell…..

Sad you have to check the ‘professionals’, and difficult as I do not have the expertise…

Simone

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teh engineers calculations should be available so you can check them. They usually overspec tho not underspec. I had an structural engineer try to spec an RSJ when we were removing a non load bearing wall with nothing resting on the top of it – not even the ceiling.

A good builder will have some idea of what is required as well – they may even have their own structural engineer they are used to using.

If you don’t know anyone who can recommend a builder then when you get someone to quote ask them if they have a previous customer you can contact

don’t pay more than a small amount up front.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Agree no need for an architect if all you are doing is taking out stuff, though an engineer may be required. Ask around for builder first, colleagues, mates etc…I used a guy recommended by pals and he was great, no need for architect, spotted a problem and liaised with engineer to sort it. Cost a fortune tho! 😀

pjm84
    Free Member

No need for an Architect. You will need an Engineer and Building Regulation approval. The BCO may require a sketch for the Building Regulation Application but the Engineer’s sketch / calculation may be sufficent.

Unless it’s a Listed Building there is no requirement for Planning.

Some Enginners are over cautiuous, others are the opposite. I designed my steelwork for my extension and had it calculated by one principle in an Engineer’s practise even though I was working with the other principle most days of the week. I knew his proposal would have been insane.

This stuff is bread and butter for any competent Builder.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Simple job, did the same for bro in law.Start downstairs check which way floor joists are running, hopefully not onto this wall as this raises issues and cost. Go up stairs measure wall area and sketch, go into loft check if same wall Is carrying just ceiling joists or possibly roof purlins etc then sketch. Speak to local engineer, offer up your details for a rough price/calc etc. Worth asking if they know of any competent builders, they will have come across plenty because this kind of job was all the rage a few years ago. Don’t be tempted to go with Dave from the pub who does a quick sketch on a fag packet, as said you need regs, which really will be just calcing the stell ub etc and possibly a coupla pad stones either end.
    Just one other thing, aesthetics! When doing this its nice to see a flat ceiling running thro, it can be done but it is more awkward. Can also be achieved even if picking up joists both sides by welding a 300 plate on the bottom of the steel.
    Just speak to your chosen builder. Hth

monkey_boy
    Free Member

dont know if its changed but about 10 yars ago a mate had a huge extension built, he had a bit of bother when it was signed off as the RSJ wasnt ‘legit’ and he didnt have a certificate for it.

cant remember the exact details but the words RSJ + Certificate ring a bell 😉

MSP

A load bearing wall has a foundation under it to spread the load, when you remove the wall all the forces that were spread along that length of foundation are concentrated down through the supporting pillars. The forces will be spread out to a certain extent, but there is a danger that the foundations will not be enough to support the extra load in these areas.

Surprisingly frequently overlooked, when searching for an engineer I would ask what calculations and checks they will be making, and ensure that this would be included.

moniex
    Free Member

Sound like I need an engineer first.

MSP – I did hear about the ‘elephant in stiletto’ principal, more foundations will be required.

I do have the loft drawings, new beams for the loft lean on other walls. The wall I want to take out seems to support the wall above and the 1 st floor floor joists ( judging by the floorboards ).

Perhaps pillars and more foundations?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Add a few quid then! Single skin wall or 9″? Modern or old house? Depending on the size of opening, remedial found works may be necessary. Easy to support tho whilst removing the wall.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘……some advice on removing internal load bearing wall and doing it properly..’ is closed to new replies.