Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Solutions to chain suck
  • slowboydickie

Suffering from chain suck. Just replaced the chainrings (X0) and 10sp KMC chain on a tallboy. Fine for a few rides (perhaps ground the was drier than today) but today it was awful. The chain was lubed with excess wiped off.

What can I do? Would a stinger type device help? Or a mech with a clutch on it? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Rich

mattjg
    Free Member

Go out on your SS, you answered this elsewhere already!

endurogangster
    Free Member

I have a stinger on my bfe for just this reason, I just run the chain under the roller instead of over and it acts as a chain block making chain suck impossible!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ratherbeintobago

Doesn’t seem to be much that can be done except making sure the drivetrain is clean(ish) and avoiding shifting the front under load.

Also curious as to whether a clutch mech would make a difference.

Andy

wobbem
    Free Member

Try adding more tension to rear derailleur via moving the p tension spring into the next notch.

charliedontsurf

Oddly I am finding SRAM drives, brand new are sucking for no reason, but other brands of ring are not.
    It’s not a scientific test, but it’s only the SRAM 10 speeds that are giving my crap.

But when the weather is like this… You can buy a used single speed for the cost of a fresh drive.

Lots of my one speed customers are seasonal, they convert their older bike to SS for the winter, saving the best bike for the dusty months….. Did anyone see any dust this summer?

charliedontsurf

Try adding more tension to rear derailleur via moving the p tension spring into the next notch.

SRAM drives seem a bit fussy on the angle of dangle setting, they like he jockey to be close to the cassette..

chief31
    Free Member

I had this problem on my old full suss.
    Turned out the granny ring had worn and was holding on to the chain.
    If you’ve got a work stand I taped the brake on slightly and that gave the chain tension then just checked where it was catching and got the dremmel out.
    A bit extreme but I had no money at needs must.
    Worked a treat tho.

mattjg
    Free Member

But when the weather is like this… You can buy a used single speed for the cost of a fresh drive.

Lots of my one speed customers are seasonal, they convert their older bike to SS for the winter, saving the best bike for the dusty months….. Did anyone see any dust this summer?

Hear him on this.

If you’re running expensive kit you pretty quickly you can cover the cost of a cheap SS in saved drivetrain components, and SS is fun anyway.

Also IMO the seasons and weather patterns are so unpredictable now that messing with set ups and tyres seasonally isn’t viable. Have a dry bike and a wet bike, and choose the appropriate one day by day.

PS my SRAM 2×10 chainsucked from new (and each of the 2 SRAM chains I had broke 3 times in normal use). I switched it all out for XT, no problems since.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

SS or Hub-gears with belt-drive FTW

jonba
    Free Member

The follwing have worked for me in the past.

Buy a new drive chain
    Buy a new bike
    go singlespeed
    buy a new rear mech
    buy a new chain
    shorten the chain

The following have not worked

K-edge chainsuck protector
    Ignoring the problem

Some solutions assume that the drivechain is worn – hence replacing stuff fixes it.

Singlespeed speaks for itself really.

Removing links and buying a new mech will increase the chain tension and improve overall shifting. I found that if there was more chain tension then the chainsuck was less. Removing a few links is cheap and easy. As is adjusting the tension screw on the mech.

ahwiles
    Free Member

running a triple?

remove the outer ring, shorten the chain.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Solutions to chain suck’ is closed to new replies.