Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Solution for holding bikes in back of van (Vito Dualiner)
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I used to have an XLWB Vito Dubliner and had the bikes on a 5-bike rack – just a simple one the wheels go into. They all just fitted.

However, now I have an LWB Vito Dualiner so am looking for a solution to hold the bikes in place – probably sturdy by taking off front wheel so will need a solution to clamp the 15mm/20mm or QR (!) forks in place and somewhere to put the wheels. Has anyone done something similar in a van and have a solution?

Thanks very much in advance.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

If you just strap them against the sides you’ll have so much floor space and actually be able to appreciate having a van!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I made a clamp that holds two bikes slightly at an angle, theres no need to remove the wheel and it will work with all wheel sizes.(Merc vito Dualiner)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jobro
    Free Member

I’ve used a Saris flat rack for a few years.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/saris/racks-triple-tracks-33-35-inch-ec050222

Had to update it with an attachment when forks went from QR to bolt through though.

dovebiker

Get a piece of 4×2 the width of the van and attach some roof-rack, fork-mount carriers e.g. Elite San Remo. Used to carry my bikes in the back of a people-carrier – didn’t budge and no risk of them hitting each other.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you just strap them against the sides you’ll have so much floor space and actually be able to appreciate having a van!

This. Buying a van then having to bugger about taking wheels off seems wrong.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Vans are places to walk around and get naked in…Can’t do that with precious bikes unnecessarily taking up all the floor space!

mildbore

Made a rack out of wood to lift in and out. Never used it cos couldn’t be arsed. Now use IKEA bed central support which is a metal groove in two pieces that is just wide enough for bike tyres, strapped to side of van with bits of pipe lagging to stop frames touching.KISS

hammerite
    Free Member

After a kitchen refit I had loads of wood kicking about so made 2 racks that hold 4 bikes, 2 facing forward, 2 facing back. Wheel off jobbies with QR to hold the bikes in place. They work well. But I’ve used them twice.

It’s much easier just to bungy the bikes to the side of the van like many others have suggested and it saves space. If I have more than one bike bungy’d to the same side I put an old sheet/curtain between them to minimise possible damage between the two bikes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If I was doing it again I’d get the roof rack mounts for the Fork and use them, in mine the front wheels came off so they could stand under the bed.
    If you had them staggered/raised it should let you get them closer together and sturdy. Toyed with the idea of mounting them on the side of the van wall like that too.
    Mate has a rack made from Poly Pipe which works well.

Lester
    Free Member

i have a transit custom
    i reverse the bike in, turn the front wheel so rear part of the wheel is against the side of the van, make sure inside pedal is up over the wheel arch.
    then i attach a lanyard clip to the low centre restraining mount around the down tube, helmet with gloves on goes on the bars

mattbee

Bungee cord to side of van (swb T5 with R&R bed here so actually bungee mine behind the front seats.)
    . Agree that having a van yet still needing to bigger about with muddy bikes and racks seems counter intuitive.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, that’s amazing, I even received a kiss from one of you; very much appreciated. I like the Saris triple racks but at the same time, I’m going to do more investigation re bungeeing them (or possibly both). I thought it cool that the van has interior protection and wheel arch covering etc. but in actual fact, it mostly just limits places to bungee the bikes against the side! Thanks again.

BoardinBob

Securing the bike via a mount takes less time than bungee’ing it, is securer, helps storage space as it’s not taken up by an awkwardly positioned bike, wont scratch or damage the walls etc. Here’s mine

scotroutes

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dhPSYS]IMAG0149[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Securing the bike via a mount takes less time than bungee’ing it

No it doesn’t.

I have a similar set up to Colin’s above, as the walls are ply lined, I screwed a couple of ikea tool rails to the wall.

Open back door, lift bike in and I only use 1 bungee, shut door. Very handy when you get back into Linn o’ dee car park and the place is full of jurassic midges! no buggering about with mounts. 😀

sazter

Same mounts a Bob, but on a pull out tray. My van is being converted to a camper, so I am happy to spend 20 secs removing the front wheel to save my space for the living area. This way I can fit 2 bikes under the bed and still have a garage space and loads of storage for the rest of my stuff.

BoardinBob

Securing the bike via a mount takes less time than bungee’ing it

No it doesn’t.

Except it does. I’ve done both.

Bungeed

Properly mounted

I think I know what one I prefer. YMMV.

gazhurst
    Free Member

Boardinbob – I like that….does the rear move around much when driving?

Del

how do you get on with the dualiner?

zero-cool
    Free Member

I just stack them against the wall behind the driver and space them. With old lengths of pipe lagging and cheap foam sleeping mats. Then use a few bungees to secure them in place. Minimal to no movement in transit and still plenty of space for getting changed, sleeping, etc.

If it’s just 1 bike and no bed it either get bungeed to the side or it just lies on the floor on its own.

As said above what’s the point of a decent sized van if you are forever having to dismantle the bikes? Only time the wheels come off is for long journey across Europe or when the double bed is more important than the bikes (then I just use the mattress as a single instead).

Tom KP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes Bob, it does look better when the bulkheads oot and the vans no a shitehole! 😀

BoardinBob

Yes Bob, it does look better when the bulkheads oot and the vans no a shitehole

Indeed. Far more feng shui now! 😆

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Great info, thanks everyone. Del – Dualiner is great – I used to have one and it was flawless and as I can only afford an older one, they’ve depreciated a whole lot more than VWs. Neither are perfect and all have problems at some point but I can’t think of a better van (and the Vito is RWD, which can be fun). I had mine in the snow and cold (with winter tyres) and only a few bikes in the back (so not a lot of weight over driven axle) and it was absolutely fine. No reason why this one won’t be similar…

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

BoardinBob and sazter – unsure if I missed it but what are the mounts you’re using? Thanks.

cakefacesmallblock

I have a similar thing to boarding bob. A seasucker mount bolted to a piece of ply. I then can bolt it into the van, or remove it as required.
    I have a ( yeah I know) VW T5 and the bike mount allows the bike to be in the van, but with enough clearance to open the bed out, the rear wheel sits between the driver and passenger seats.
    Mrs CFSB didn’t like the bike being in the van whilst in camper mode though. Maybe part of the reason she moved out a few months after me coming up with e bright idea, so it’s no longer a problem 😉

BoardinBob

BoardinBob and sazter – unsure if I missed it but what are the mounts you’re using? Thanks.

Seasucker

They do 15mm and 20mm. Possibly more. Available from CRC etc

DickBarton

How often will you be carry multiple bikes? If hardly ever then bungees and cardboard between them – no point spending a lot to not use it…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anyone got a ground anchor type thing in their van? I’d like the ability to lock the bike down to something solid when I’m away from the van.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Solution for holding bikes in back of van (Vito Dualiner)’ is closed to new replies.