Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Solo Tour du Mont Blanc. Should I? Things to think about, pros/cons?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like I’m doing a Morzine/Mega trip this year.

Injury/job stuff means the chaps I did a Cairngorms tour with last year aren’t available. Before they all knackered themselves I’d planned a 4 or 5 day Tour du Mont Blanc.

Now I’m thinking – why not do it solo? I’m not daft when it comes to mountains and riding alone.

So, anyone done it? Any experiences?

RealMan
    Free Member

My dad did it with a mtb holiday company, so he was in a big group of people who were just on the holiday as well (they didnt know each other). He said the riding was great, the split it into groups for faster and slower riders, and he just had a really good time. Although I suppose if youre talking about doing it proper solo (camping?) it would be cheaper, and probably just as do-able.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Its not really that remote (lots of people walking/riding it). Be a modern day explorer 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

If you can find a suitable route – it shouldn’t be a problem
    I seem to recall that a fair portion of the well published walking route isn’t really available to bikes

higgo
    Free Member

I’d worked a route out anyway to do with a group. I’ll know how suitable it is when I’ve done it, I suppose.

The tour companies (not surprisingly) don’t publish their routes in great detail but all seem to go clockwise. My route goes anticlockwise but I’m pretty confident in it. I’ve worked it out based on the maps, the walking guides and, mostly, a couple of Google Earth routes I found including a route done by Gareth, Sian etc from endlessride. I doubt the folks at endless would do a duff route.

rickmeister

MbMb go clockwise to maximise riding… not done it solo but if I did, I would pre-book huts to enjoy the riding and not carry too much stuff…

As a solo I reckon all the disadvantages of group riding (slow, waiting etc etc), would be traded for advantages (good banter etc).

4 days?

MrOvershoot

higgo – Member
    I’m not daft when it comes to mountains and riding alone.

I’m glad you qualified that as to the exact nature of your lack of daftness 😉

As you have reasonable experience of the Alps in both summer & winter I see no reason why not, other than you might discover you like riding on your own too much and we would never see you again!

freeridenick
    Free Member

Do it in september when weather more stable and trails much quieter

ChrisE
    Free Member

let me know if you want a route, I’ve done it twice on a route we made up ourseleves. Our route uses the absolute minimum of tarmac. We did it in 3 and a half days both times. One big problem with the guided-company-routes is that they must overnight at a place they can get a van to (with all the equiptment & crap in). Doing it on your own is much better as you/we can stay at the high altitude huts which is much, much better. You can sleep in a hotel/YHA in a valley in the UK if that’s what you want to do!

C

uplink
    Free Member

ChrisE – I’d be interested in looking at your route if possible?

higgo
    Free Member

ChrisE – yes please to the offer of your route.

My email’s in my profile.

ChrisE
    Free Member

No probs,

email me & i’ll try to do it tonight

(also available 2 transalp routes!)

http://www.highbark.co.uk

C

RHSno2
    Free Member

I have a friend who did it in 24 hrs. Silly.

Enjoy

ChrisE
    Free Member

I think some French bloke did it in 14/15 hours. It’s about 200km so I guess it’s possible but for me it needs to be enjoyable too!

C

endlessride
    Free Member

I wrote up my opinion of the TMB route we did last year here
    http://www.endoftheride.com/2009/02/tour-du-mt-blanc-by-mountain-bike/
    GPS files there too.

richpips
    Free Member

I’ve done it solo and carried my camping stuff. A fun expedition.

Shandy
    Free Member

Starting to think I should bring my hardtail as well as the SX Trail and the road bike…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Solo Tour du Mont Blanc. Should I? Things to think about, pros/cons?’ is closed to new replies.