Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • solo night road riding ?
  • iainc

currently cannot ride off road due elbow injury, but road seems fine. Was great to get out for a scoot round the back roads on Sunday after 4 weeks of recovery, but need to get some midweek exercise in. Also not able to swim for another 2 weeks, so getting fat at my desk 🙂

I am surrounded at home by quiet country roads, which I know well (in daylight) so am seriously thinking about going out on tonight and outrunning the ghosts and ghouls, on what will I’n sure be spooky roads at night. There will be minimal traffic, wife will know roughly where I am. Could put Maxx D on bars but reckon overkill, so maybe just put Joystick on instead…

I have bright back lights I can use

Or should I just go in the rollers in the kitchen instead… 🙂

scotroutes

Bright lights are pretty essential on unlit roads or you can suddenly come across big potholes.

I always reckon good lights and reflectives make night riding a bit safer than day riding too.

If they really are quiet roads then leave a copy of your route or use a tracking app. You wouldn’t want to be lying unconscious for long at this time of year.

Take a warm/insulated jacket with you too.

fasthaggis

Go for it Iain.
    On cold clear nights,nothing beats it this time of the year,even better if you know the roads well,so there are no surprises/broken bits waiting for ya.

iainc

You wouldn’t want to be lying unconscious for long at this time of year

…you appear to be recalling my past history well Colin 🙂

Beagleboy

Go for it!

I’m stuck in the deepest ‘can’t be arsed to ride’ doldrums at the moment, but absolutely love every minute on the bike when I actually convince myself to go out. At the moment (pre, 2hr bus commute home), I’m planning on going out for a solo on the MTB tonight. Was going to head towards Stirling, but my wife has warned me that there’s a dead deer spread across a significant part of the back road that I normally take, so if I go out, think it’ll be Carron Valley’s man made trails for me.

I’ll go out if you go out. How about that?

C. 🙂

scud
    Free Member

I use an older Maxx-D for commuting, medium setting angled down and it is brilliant, lasts a good 5-6 hours.

Decent hi-viz and assume every vehicle on the road is driven by a fool and you’re good to go

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Work shifts and commute year round, 10 miles of it on rural roads and often 10pm or later.

Best bit of the day. Often ride the rural section (flat, exposed, few trees) with no lights.

Only been knocked off once. That was on the urban section, at 4pm, in June…

iainc

beagy – deal 🙂

kayak23

I always reckon good lights and reflectives make night riding a bit safer than day riding too.

Well yes, if it wasn’t for the werewolves, murderers and killer bats that I’m pretty sure I’ve heard.

bigG
    Free Member

I’ve done plenty of solo road riding in the past, used to regularly head out after work and do 50 miles in the depths of winter. As others have said, good lights and hi viz are essential. Make sure your rear light is blindingly strong, car drivers have a tendency to lash along assuming the road is clear unless they can see a bright light.

Also, take your phone, I lay stunned on an icy road for a good ten minutes once having hit a black ice patch. Wasn’t unconscious but was certainly incapable of movement for a few mins. Was a bit scary while I lay there and tried to work out what I’d to call for help / get myself home.

G

leftyboy
    Free Member

Put the Maxx-D on and use the modes to match the roads you’re riding on. Having more light available IF you need it seems a good plan.

iainc

Well yes, if it wasn’t for the werewolves, murderers and killer bats that I’m pretty sure I’ve heard.

yeah, that’s the bit that I am worried about – remote back roads over the moor….. 🙂

Might take jnr out to look after me…. !

theteaboy
    Free Member

Also, take your phone, I lay stunned on an icy road for a good ten minutes once having hit a black ice patch. Wasn’t unconscious but was certainly incapable of movement for a few mins. Was a bit scary while I lay there and tried to work out what I’d to call for help / get myself home.

I did this too. I was most concerned about my bike, my cut head, my lacerated shin and hip and my torn top (in that order). I didn’t even notice my broken wrist until after I got myself the 10 miles home.

Edit: Was a lovely ride up to that point though.

dazh

The top setting on a joystick is easily bright enough I find on road for descents. I tend to ride on roads I know well and stay a bit closer to home in the dark to avoid unsuspecting potholes and enable an easy rescue by the Mrs should I need it. I learnt that lesson the hard way after having to fix a puncture in a torrential hailstorm in the dark on top of a moor in freezing temps.

globalti
    Free Member

Do it. Night road riding is every bit as good as off-road riding. Safter too as drivers see your lights and are a bit surprised. You’ll be shocked at the amount of dust and debris that a passing car throws up to be seen in your headlamp beam.

We go out of an hour most Wednesdays for the hooligan ride, which always finishes with a mad sprint for my buddy’s house.

fasthaggis

Decent hi-viz and assume every vehicle on the road is driven by a fool and you’re good to go

😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do loads here too. Usually stick to familiar roads where I know the surfaces and bends. It’s a bit weird at first but you soon get use to it. I started off with an old Joystick but it was a bit poor (more than beam pattern than the power.) New ones might be better. Then got a Strada which is much better.

Maxx-D on low might be ok but the beam pattern is likely pretty poor for roads and will annoy oncoming traffic.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spin classes (Get a bike at the back 😛 )
    cycle path into Glasgow, or out through Eaglesham to Killie way
    Velodrome

stumpy01

Just need to be careful of icy conditions…..

I don’t get out on the road bike if it looks like the road will be icy. Not worth the increased risk of falling, in my opinion….

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

car drivers have a tendency to lash along assuming the road is clear unless they can see a bright light.

This is my worry about riding at night. People at night on country lanes are looking for car headlights coming towards them, not a cyclist going in the same direction at a fraction of the speed they are going.

iainc

nobeer – if I was spinning I’d just go on the rollers at home 🙂

The moor road is calling, nice and quiet as you know, minimal traffic. Not risking track with healing elbow fracture – the evening drop-ins are all now rammed anyway and booked a long way in advance 🙁

dazh

Just need to be careful of icy conditions…..

Any chance of ice I stay off the lanes and stick to the A roads which I know will be gritted. Also take the descents much slower just in case.

mrblobby
    Free Member

This is my worry about riding at night. People at night on country lanes are looking for car headlights coming towards them, not a cyclist going in the same direction at a fraction of the speed they are going.

It’s really not been an issue for me (yet!) and most of my riding is country lanes. Mostly because you’ll see a car lights coming a way off and tuck in a bit or try and avoid meeting them at a bend.

I don’t get out on the road bike if it looks like the road will be icy. Not worth the increased risk of falling, in my opinion….

This too. Tend to avoid it if it’s going to be properly icy and just turbo instead. Not worth trashing winter training for the sake of a night ride or two.

prawny

Sounds like a good plan as long as the roads are clear of ice. It’s pretty slippery in the evenings even down my way, and a fall on ice would really knacker your elbow.

iainc

re the ice, I quite agree – where we are is pretty high and exposed, so if it’s less than 4 degrees I don’t go out…

Forecast for tonight is 8 degrees.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Though wet leaves have made some descents round here quite dicey the past couple of weeks. Can be hard to spot in the dark till you feel the front wheel slipping a bit 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

yeah, that’s the bit that I am worried about – remote back roads over the moor…

Well as you know I’m out on the moor in the dark most days. I’d advise the maxx d on the bars and the joystick on the helmet as a back up in case you need to do a repair. The joystick would be okay but with the roads as damp as they are just now a brighter light is better.

It’s not that scary but it’s highly unlikely you’ll meet anyone else, well me possibly. Number of cyclists you see in the dark really drops off November to January, saw 2 last night near the GSO junction but that was it, it can be quite lonely out there as I don’t normally pass anyone for 12 miles.

Roads are filthy just now so I hope you have mudguards.

And there’s no ice to worry about.

STATO
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

car drivers have a tendency to lash along assuming the road is clear unless they can see a bright light.

[/quote]

Cars do zoom along, but no faster than in the day, with the advantage that you can see (their lights) coming, but they can also see yours. So on quiet roads it certainly feels safer IMO. The big risk is cars tailgating who might not realise you are there so not pull out as much as the car in front, but again that’s no different to daylight.

Never bothered with Hi-Viz, I have a Dynamo front and rear lights so im perfectly visible without blinding oncoming traffic. On narrow lanes often find cars waiting at passing spots more than they would in daylight as at night the light looks more like a dipped motorbike.

iainc

thanks all, Gary – yes Zefal swan and croozer on the CDF, and will pop the MaxxD on as suggested. You’ll be home long before I head out 🙂

fasthaggis

Some Hi-Viz is better that others.Ankle bands are great (movement init) they live in my shoes for the next few months,so I never go out without them. I also have a bright pink vest with CAREFUL NOW on the back 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

meant to add that I would avoid going over the moor road from Eaglesham to the A77 in the dark, I’ve done it before but it’s best avoided. Cars don’t give you much passing space during the day and in the dark it’s even worse.

Road round the back of the windfarm that takes you above Darvel would be my choice, nice smooth road and will be traffic free. Head out from Auldhouse and go as far as you want.

joat

Spin classes (Get a bike at the back )

From what I’ve heard, get one next to the instructor 😉

stevious

As above, it can be a very relaxing and meditative experience – particularly on quiet roads.

I’d go for the Mxx-d and joystick combo and just sheild the beam with oyur hand for oncoming traffic. That’s what I do.

Oh, and it might be stating the obvious but if you’re out on your own take it easy. I tend to use outdoor rides in winter for more relaxed rides and use the turbo for beasting myself.

iainc

Gary_M – Member
    meant to add that I would avoid going over the moor road from Eaglesham to the A77 in the dark, I’ve done it before but it’s best avoided. Cars don’t give you much passing space during the day and in the dark it’s even worse.

yes, that was the plan – I have a 25 mile loop through Jackton towards Strathaven Airfield, over the back of Ardoch Rigg and back in. Only bit of lit road is from home to the Jackton turning, which is under a mile

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sounds ideal, have fun. Remember there are no ghosts & ghouls, although I did once have a strange experience on the moor but probably best not tell you about that today 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

Dry and less than 3c – turbo
    Wet and less than 4c – turbo
    This might seem wimpy but I am VERY lucky to be riding still after a 25mph crash on ice. Run off from a field in a hollow. Sheet ice for 20m.

Otherwise:-

Maxx D on bars
    Joystick on strobe on helmet with Redeye
    Hope District on rear
    Spoke reflectors

I’ve had some great insomnia rides 🙂

Sandwich

remote back roads over the moor….. ?

Pack lube then! 😆

scotroutes

Hi-Viz is essentially useless at night. You want reflectives.

Iain – tomorrows first thread had better be; “what dynamo powered lighting system“!!!

spot
    Free Member

And Make sure your phone is set to loud.
    9 missed calls from the missus the other day, while i was happily doing a few extra loops…

She Wasnt too Happy about that.
    I figured you were sleeping… Didnt cut it as an excuse

highlandman
    Free Member

I’m a convert to long night road rides; a few times lately I’ve been places like Edinburgh or Stirling for evening meetings and then ride home to Angus, getting back at 1 or 2 in the morning.
    It’s just like daytime riding, just with slightly more serious consequences if you have a mechanical or an off, as others have said.
    I don’t find traffic an issue at night. In my experience, 2 decent tail lights create a wide pass in the vast majority of cases and at this time of year, I’m commuting home at 6 or 7 at night three-four times a week without worry.
    I’ve a couple of quite fast downhills on the normal road route, so I’m going to ask if anyone can say if those B&M thingies really do have enough output for a 30mph descent on an unlit, wet, tree lined road?

One further hazard you do have to consider late at night is the difficulty of passing a late chip shop; these have a special gravitational field all of their own!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘solo night road riding ?’ is closed to new replies.