Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Solo night riding – road or mountain bike. Madness?
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Went down a long smooth descent the other day, so was going at quite some pace when a huge Barn Owl swooped out of a tree to the side of me, and flew down the hill with me, about 5 feet in front of me, perfectly lit by my light. I got a good 20 seconds or so of incredible view. Felt privileged.

I still get the odd irrational fear when I’m somewhere really remote, but it’s daft and rare. A few weeks ago I was riding the same routes in the warm and sunshine, so the only difference is the dark.

medoramas
    Free Member

The “wildlife thing” is a big bonus.

Regarding the fear – the only time I feel it a bit is when riding near some big farm yards.

Also when you see a dog in remote areas at night – this means “troubles”. 😯

theendisnigh
    Free Member

You don’t need to be scared of getting mugged in the woods. Don’t worry! Muggers are also scared of the dark, they won’t be in the woods.

Loners are the ones to worry about. Loners dressed up in camo gear. Those who like fantasising about killing people with their crossbow. They are the ones to worry about. They might even rape you just for the power trip.

Enjoy the ride!

sandboy

Riding to work in the mornings last winter, the barn owl would wait on the fence post until I had turned the corner and it would fly along side me using my light to help identify prey.

atlaz
    Free Member

How so? Are there many tales of wolves attacking humans?

No. Imagine for a minute though the howling in the woods as you’re riding through. I’m more scared of being attacked by either the boar in the area or the buzzards

garlic
    Free Member

Did the The South Downs Way overnight once, was mental. Especially when the dear leapt out in front of me.

hora
    Free Member

Last night I was being low-flown/criss crossed by Bats 😀

scotroutes

Wait until one hits you in the face 😆

hora
    Free Member

charliew

I’ve accidentally/on purpose ridden out on my own on the moors at night. Great ride but could have done with more light than the Cat Eye Nima provided. Saw a group descending from Stoodley Pike in Todmorden a couple of weeks ago. The lights where really bright – I saw them from the other side of the valley. Looked great fun!! You could clearly see the 2 different descents and even a rider who must have fallen off

I’ve got a couple more bridleways I want to ride at night but I need to go through a farm yard and don’t really want to disturb/scare/distress the owner. How do you night riders approach this? Just dim the lights and go as quietly as possible? Or just go about your business and sod the owners?

sausagebaby
    Free Member

I’ve probably passed you a few time while I’ve been commuting hora – I go from Horwich into Wigan, but usually detour round the reservoirs.

Like you, I’m actually enjoying it as the light’s hetting less and less – for the last few weeks, it’s been beautiful at dawn & dusk; and coming down from Belmont in the proper dark is silly fun 🙂

Look out for the lanky get on a Surly/Giant Defy

garage-dweller

I had my first attempt towards the end of the summer pre riding a route for a group ride. Picked somewhere I knew well, left a copy map with mrs gd and went. Once I got over the “what if I make a wrong turn and end up somewhere unfamiliar” jitters I really enjoyed riding through the fading light.

I am less worried about binning it when I know the trails. I generally only ride at 75%-80% if I am on my own anyway unless I am somewhere I know someone will find me (trail centre) quick.

alexh
    Free Member

I never really thought about it until starting a cannock night lap after I’d dropped the wife for a girly night out.

I randomly fell off, still can’t tell you how and smashed my knee off the stem. I could not stand for a bit. Typically I was at the furthest I could be from the car.

I limped home, just about got the car to the wife.

It was a day or 2 later someone told me the stories of the black eyed girl at cannock, I decided I won’t do that again.

I regularly cycle close to home in the am dark. I love being out as the sun comes up.

tom200

For me it’s on my own in the dark or not ride my bike for 6months. Biggest dangers are badgers and bats IMHO.

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Solo night riding – road or mountain bike. Madness?’ is closed to new replies.