Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Solo 24hr riders – transport arrangements
  • dawson

Do you have someone to drive you home after the event? Isn’t there a risk of falling asleep while driving home?

Not trolling, just interested – my other half wouldn’t be supportive enough to sit around all weekend to drive me home!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

the twice I have done it I camped the night after at the venue

goldenwonder
    Free Member

My wife drives me home. No way I’d be able to drive home after a 24hr Solo, it’s hard enough driving after a team effort!

trail_rat
    Free Member

sleep till the next day …..

the one time i did pack up and drive 6 miles to a bnb – those were the longest 6 miles of my life – with a force 6 arctic gale blowing in the window and the blowers on full cold in my face …..

– now i just set up camp in the back of the van – the bnb did nothing for me – id sleep on a bed of jagged rocks after a 24 !

BadlyWiredDog

+1 for sleeping over at the venue and driving back next day. There’s also something vaguely magical about finding yourself camped in the middle of a huge, green field that used to be a massive campsite come car park. If you have support, don’t under-estimate how tired being up most of the night will leave them too.

Or if you want a touch of luxury, book a hotel close to the event, eat, drink, sleep, then drive back next morning.

GaryLake
    Free Member

My wife hadn’t even pulled out of the campsite.

njee20
    Free Member

I know a number of people who’ve driven straight home after soloing, wouldn’t fancy it myself!

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ve always had to drive home afterwards, my wife would never ever come to an event. Mind you I wouldn’t want her or anyone else there.

Mountain Mayhem, only 30 miles away, so drove home Sunday evening.
    TwentyFour 12, 200 miles away. Slept for a few hours, packed the tent away in the dark, then drove home about 11pm with a one hour kip in the services on the way back.
    SITS, about 50 miles away. Slept for about an hour, then packed up and drove home in daylight.

I work a shift rota, so I’ve sort of adapted to sleeping and working at odd times of the day & night.

trail_rat
    Free Member

good luck falling asleep at the wheel of a landrover …..MTQG – even if you do youll still wake up at home if you point it in the right direction 😀

trio25
    Free Member

My partner drives home, but in that case has to get some sleep. Weekend just gone we stayed at my sisters which was an hours drive away at most.

Harry_the_Spider

You are being very modest there Trio. You not going to tell everybody that you won it? I would if it had been me!

FWIW I’ve booked a hotel after the experience of driving by from my first MM and I was only doing it in a team.

robnorthcott
    Free Member

When I’m in a team I usually sleep for a few hours in the afternoon before driving home, or occasionally camp overnight. The couple of times I’ve been a soloist (SITS a few years ago) I was lucky enough to have a lift there and back, otherwise I’d have stayed overnight. There’s no way I could drive home straight after the race, even when I’m in a team. I seem to be quite badly affected by lack of sleep – some lucky people get two or three hours and feel completely fine.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I usually drive when I’m in a team with about 2 hours sleep which is fine.

The wife drove this time (I was solo) but I was awake the whole way back and could have driven without a problem (which was a surprise).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Solo 24hr riders – transport arrangements’ is closed to new replies.