Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Solid tyres – tannus. Anyone tried?
  • Garry_Lager

[Apologies if bin dun] Seems like people are persevering with the solid tyre idea – Korean company tannus have launched some recently. Anyone had a go or seen them in the flesh?

Pretty sure no self-respecting roadie is sticking a solid tyre on their bike ever, but these could be massive with commuters. Guess it all depends on how they ride – Could be extremely harsh.

winston
    Free Member

They should do them in folding bike size. changing the tube on my mezzo is a massive pita and any lack of performance will be negliagble on such small wheels

i’d need a test ride before dropping more than 50 per tyre though

dirtydog
    Free Member

Excellent idea, I imagine they’d use different layers of rubber compounds so the ride would be tuneable to some degree.

nickjb
    Free Member

The ‘green’ tyres from the 90s were like riding in wet sand. Would want to try them before parting with that sort of cash. Can’t see the point really as modern puncture resist tyres are very good at staying up.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I had one of those “green tyres”.
    It was terrible. In fact I took it back to Halfords to ask for a refund it was so crap, and they gave me one!

Could do with some in 12 1/2″ size for the pushchair though.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

They should do them in folding bike size

They do (16″):
    http://thesolidtyre.com/index.php/tannus-solid-tyres/brompton-16×125.html

midlifecrashes

Anyone tried expanding foam?

belugabob
    Free Member

I used solid tyres on my commuter, back in the 90’s – Green Tyre Hedgehogs

They were flipping harsh, compared to inner tubes & normal tyres – the equivalent of 85 PSI, supposedly – but you soon got used to them.

The ability to ride through large patches of broken glass with impunity, and not having to fix punctures in the cold/wet was brilliant.

Don’t commute any more, so haven’t used them for some time now.

kilo
    hooli

I had something similar in my BMX as a kid, they weighed a ton (per wheel) and made it feel like I was riding on wooden wheels but it kept my dad happy as he didn’t have to keep changing punctures for me.

Unless things have moved on a lot since then, I’m oooot.

Edit, just read kilos link above and it seems stuff has moved on a long way.

Northwind

I remember my mate Mark had a set of solid green tyres, can’t remember what brand, on his muddy fox. “No punctures ever!” he said, and that was true but “tyre falls off when you go round corners” was a bit of a drawback.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Solid tyres – tannus. Anyone tried?’ is closed to new replies.