Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • solid robust trail 29'' bike idea's. ( finally ready for a proper mtb again).
  • ton

it has been 5 years since I last bought a serious mtb, so I am looking for a 29” robust tough trail bike.

looked at a enduro and a trek remedy 9, both look nice. anything else worth taking a look at?

and please don’t say take a test ride, it is nigh on impossible to get a test on a xl bike…. 😀

soulwood
    Free Member

Depends how much you want to spend. Personally I’d be tempted with a cannondale trigger, the idea of being able to flick a switch to reduce the travel on climbs appeals. Expensive though. Oh and I reckon you can forget terms like robust, as fs bikes are by their nature upgrading, updating, bearing hungry and disposable. So if I was you I’d buy an fs but keep a ht for when the fs is broke, worn out of on a warranty claim.

CheesybeanZ
    Hicksy
    Free Member

I love my Kona Process 111 – not lots of travel, but lots of fun. It’s pretty sturdy. I’m 6’4″ and ride an XL – it’s pretty much the same geometry as my hardtail (a Honzo) so I knew it was going to fit, but feel your pain in not being able to get test rides. The last bike I bough blind was a disaster! You are welcome to try mine – I’m in Surrey.

BoardinBob

Codeine?

vondally
    Free Member

Turner sultan?
    Ventana….again?
    Spesh enduro?
    Rocky mountain…

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Honzo! My boss is 6′ 4″ and loves his XL Honzo

cokie

I would have thought an Orange Segment would do all that you require.

nemesis
    Free Member

FS only, ton?

Gotama
    Free Member

Robust FS – Nicolai.

MussEd
    Free Member

As mentioned Turner Sultan is sturdy and strong without the weight penalty mate. Happen to have one for sale ATM but its probably a touch wee for you…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not sure what Soulwood is waffling on about regarding FS reliabiltiy. My observation seems to be that those who like to wash their bikes to within an inch of their lives after every time they look at them tend to go through bearings like there is no tomorrow. My Covert29 is 2yrs old and used and abused all year round and i’ve washed it maybe 3 times in all that time and the bearings are going strong and i’ve not had to raise a finger in maintenance on it apart from replacing the chain a few times when the chain checker tells me to. I love the long travel 29er thing. They’re huge fun.

ton

FS only, ton

yeah I think so. I bought a parkwood before xmas, rode it offroad and was battered to hell.
    5 years of not riding offroad has softened me to bits.

somouk
    Free Member

Don’t forget to take in to account suspension design as well, some types that are more progressive lend themselves to bigger riders.

I’m 110 Kg and riding a Whyte T129S which has been brilliant for me. In standard spec it does need better wheels if you really want to batter it.

frogstomp

Banshee Phantom

z1ppy

(Just to add to the suggestions) Kona Satoria

Think you need to decide on a how much suspension travel you ‘need’, to help cut some chaff out of the selections…
    ie: do you really need 160mm travel ala Spesh Enduro*?

*Awesome bike but you’d need to ride DH tracks fast, all the time, to get the best out of it (IMO of course)

Bigmantrials

I will put another vote for the Hammerhead Thumper, mine has been great so far! Where are you based, I would be happy for you to have a go on my XL one.

warns74
    Free Member

I had an XL Spesh Enduro SL (26″, 150mm travel) for 5 years as my only bike and it was a great all-rounder. Now have an XL stumpy FSR (29″ 130/140mm) and it is just as capable and you simply dont notice the travel difference. The Enduro 29 just seemed a bit much for UK riding with occasional “gnar” trips, (Alps etc).

andycs

Started a similar thread the other day. I am considering Pyga One Ten 29, Segment and Tallboy. I do know that Stif have access to an xl Tallboy demo bike.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Niner RIP 9?

Northwind

Someone mentioned it in the other thread but the BMC Trailfoxes Evans have look pretty awesome value and they’ve had some really good writeups- though normally for the higher end version not so much the £1800 version

IA

Enjoy my XL Horsethief.

Proper size too, e.g. the El Guapo suggested above doesn’t come in a very big size.

IME the size requirement cuts down a lot of options. Spesh do make some good XLs though, and XXL in some models though they don’t tend to bring them into the UK – but they do into europe so you can buy from abroad. So pro-tip, if you’re looking at spesh look at the US .com site too and check if the model has an XXL.

IA

xl Tallboy demo bike.

Isn’t actually that big, if you’re tall you really want the XXL.

All these short folk, don’t appreciate the problems of the larger gentleman cycle shopping.

warns74
    Free Member

^^^^^^^^^^

Amen to that IA! (and agree about the XXL Tallboy being about the same as spesh XL)

adamyounghus97
    Free Member

Orange 5 29er – love mine

BoardinBob

Niner RIP 9?

Just let out a wee “ooft” when I saw that picture!

warns74
    Free Member

Just let out a wee “ooft” when I saw that picture!

I regularly find myself “ooft’ing” at pictures of bikes, which is then swiftly followed by a quick google search of “[ooft bike in XL]”, then generally the “ooft” turns into an “uurgh”!!

Oh to be a medium or large!! 🙂

boxelder

Some good deals about on Konas Tony.
    At 6’4″ I ride an XXL Tallboy – not the stiffest though!

IA

Oh I’ll also add that Rocky Mountain make a XXL (and their XL is actually pretty big too, I’d be borderline between them at 6’4″).

chiefgrooveguru

The Banshee Phantom looks big in an XL and will certainly be tough enough and stiff enough.

cocker
    Free Member

Ive got the enduro 29er in large,and find as good as the camber i had before for Xc and trail,and makes me a bit more braver on the downs.
    you’re welcome to try it if you cant get a demo,im in wakefield

Bregante

There’s a possible candidate just popped up in the classifieds

not mine

Harry_the_Spider

Depends how much you want to spend. Personally I’d be tempted with a cannondale trigger, the idea of being able to flick a switch to reduce the travel on climbs appeals. Expensive though.

I bought a Trigger this week. You can get the 2014 for around £1600-£1800. I have to say that for the money it is a lot of bike and the suspension flicky switch thing works quite nicely. It bloody shifts too. I set 6 Strava PBs on my local loop on the first ride.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Would have to consider a Whyte T129s, always gets good reviews for a reason. I also speak from experience as I own one also a friend has last yrs model. Very good trail bikes.

bigrich

anthem X 29?

takisawa2

Something 29+ ?

(Softer HT ride etc, up the psi if your touring/pootling)

Just got my first FS in a few years, & have to concede, I love my HT but it’s kinder on the rse. 🙂

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Another vote for the Hammerhead, absolutely spot on geometry, it’s a scream of a bike, just takes everything in its stride. Kashima CTD shock, Maxle, just over £600, also one of the best looking bikes around, what’s not to like?

konanige

Codeine again!!!

Bregante

Come on chaps do keep up. The op has moved on now and decided against this type of bike! 😛
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/120130mm-hardtail-29eroptions

This is ton we’re talking about! 😛

ton

bregante…..thing is, with not buying a new proper mountain bike for over 5 years, things have changed a bit, and i am like a kis in a sweet shop.
    far too much choice and a few bikes what will be ideal for a bit of everything.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘solid robust trail 29'' bike idea's. ( finally ready for a proper mtb again).’ is closed to new replies.