Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Soldering copper pipes – black art or fairly simple?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

I had a small split in a 15mm pipe just after boxing day. I fixed it simply enough using compression joints, but I’d quite like to do a proper job and replace the compression joints with soldered joints.
    I’ve never tried before but i thnk it would be a handy skill for the small bits of piework. Is it difficult to do? Is there any particular torch/flux I would need?

aracer
    Free Member

I’d quite like to do a proper job and replace the compression joints with soldered joints.

IANAP, but my understanding is that compression joints are proper joints – the only reason real plumbers don’t use them is that soldered joints are cheaper, which makes a difference if you’re doing thousands, not if you’re doing one or two. By all means learn the skill as an end in itself, but don’t think you’ll be gaining any significant DIY plumbing advantage by doing so. Not that it looks like it would be difficult – I considered doing soldered joints when I put our new sink in, but was put off by the thought of trying to use a blowtorch in such a confined space with plastic pipes around.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Doddle, don’t get it too hot and make sure pipe and fittings are nice and clean before soldering. (wire wool clean)

I’d probably leave it if it’s sound though

Murray

Wire wool and flux. Easy – but I’d leave the compression joint. Push fit is fine too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its easy to use solder fittings. However on existing pipe it can be hard to get all the water out of them in which case the solder joint won’t get hot enough – for this reason compression fittings are usually used on old pipes

spooky_b329

I bought all the stuff needed, solder, wire wool, flux etc, then walked into B&Q and found pre-soldered fittings…doh! You will also need some sort of propane torch that use coloured cylinders about 30cm long…I have one from work but if you are buying, do a little research as some are more suited than others I believe.

Its easy, just do a little google on the technique. Top tip I was given for repairing pipes that are dripping and therefore wet…shove some bread up the pipe as it will soak up the water enough to keep the pipe dry, but it will quickly disintegrate afterwards and fall to bits. Might want to take the strainers off any taps and remove the showerhead just to be sure though 🙂

petrieboy

As said above, very easy with Solder ring joints but difficult on a wet pipe. Like the bread idea but compression is just fine.

allthepies
    Free Member

As above, it’s easy to do on nice new pipes especially when they’re not in situ behind a washing machine with about 5cm of clearance 😉

Pre-soldered (yorkshire) type fittings cost more than the real-man capillary action types but are easier to fit. Nothing wrong with compression fittings whatsoever though so just leave that, it’s just a cost thing with pros.

Macgyver

Soldering isn’t difficult but why change what you have done. But of you do, if there are any taps, valves, drain points etc near to where are soldering, remove the rubber washers before you start getting lairy with a blow torch!!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

if it is for potable water then ensure the solder is the correct type i.e. lead free.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Soldering copper pipes – black art or fairly simple?’ is closed to new replies.