• This topic has 140 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by dude.
Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • Sold the most reliable car I've ever had and….
  • nealglover
    Free Member

I think I would text back.

“I am sorry you are having problems, but you bought a car privately, with no warranty. To the best of my knowledge everything was in full working order and the car was sold in good faith and described honestly.
    There is nothing I can do to help you with your problem. I’m sorry if this sounds harsh, but that’s the way it is”

teethgrinder

Post her mobile number up…

nealglover
    Free Member

Post her mobile number up…

Good idea.

My van broke down last week, I could tell her all about it :mrgreen:

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

To be fair has she actually asked for any cash ?

codybrennan
    Free Member

No more texts, and she hasn’t asked for cash or anything else. I’m not responding if anything does come in.

xiphon
    Free Member

In Preston? I thought some people on here had standards?

Oi!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Buy a new SIM. I am not one for being too mean but this is getting daft and I am afraid you are sounding a bit soft.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Hi Matt-

I haven’t replied to either of the last two texts from the buyer, nor do I intend to- its been 5 hours of no contact and this is how it will continue.

Thanks though- you are right, I am a bit of a soft touch, but I’m not flinching on this.

hora
    Free Member

I can see her mind working. Afterall you are 280miles away…garage says dont drive…

Any near Vw Preston who can drive past first thing/early’ early?

Still even if the car is parked overnight outside the service dept ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. As I said I had a air/fuel sensor go once on anewly purchased car a week after.

Unless you deliberately conceled a fault why worry.

Anyway shes building the story. Tomorrow youll get a call/voicemail thats teary. Later this week ‘partner’ or friend threatening.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Funny you should say that hora, but coincidentally I may well be driving back up from somewhere a good bit further south than Preston tomorrow evening from a work trip, and just might swing past to see whats what.

You’re right, it will escalate. I will stay strong.

DezB
    Free Member

If she sends another one of her informative texts, but doesn’t actually ask for anything, I think you should set your position on it – reply, I hope you’re not expecting me to pay for any of this – I was honest in my description of the car and once a car is sold as seen, it is no longer the seller’s problem. Or words to that effect.

From Trading Standards:
    “Private sales
    When you buy a used vehicle from a private individual, you don’t have the same rights as you do when buying from a trader. The legal principle of caveat emptor, or ‘buyer beware’ operates. You have no right to expect that the vehicle is of satisfactory quality or fit for its purpose, but there is a requirement that it should be ‘as described’. For example, if an advertisement says ‘low mileage, one previous owner’, it must be correct. You should check the vehicle thoroughly before you buy it.

Whether you buy privately or from trader, you are entitled to expect that the vehicle is roadworthy, unless you and the seller clearly agree it is bought for scrap or for spares and repair. You should be aware that a vehicle sold with an MOT certificate does not guarantee that it is currently roadworthy, only that at the time it was tested it met the required safety standards needed to gain the MOT certificate.”

codybrennan
    Free Member

I might well do that DezB- if anything, it will forestall further comms.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

No it doesn’t. It assumes “, some of them are going to go wrong within a year of being sold” and then assumes “a roughly even chance” of THOSE cars that do go wrong within a year, going wrong on a random week, e.g., they don’t all go wrong on the 5th of May.

The “roughly even chance” bit makes you’re accurate “1/52” completely meaningless.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Nothing will convince her. Well, sending her a link to this thread will.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ignore. Making contact only keeps her door to you open.

IGNORE.

codybrennan
    Free Member

GD- noted!

chojin
    Free Member

I live in Southampton. I’ve got time on my hands and a newborn to get to sleep, give me an excuse to go for a drive and check out the address 😉

scandal42
    Free Member

Chojin

Woman in Preston, home unattended, going on the rob 😀

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Any more texts?

codybrennan
    Free Member

RH- I missed (ignored) a call from a withheld number yesterday, about 3pm (I very rarely get these.) But no, no more texts.

dude
    Free Member

Any updates on this?

Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Sold the most reliable car I've ever had and….’ is closed to new replies.