• This topic has 140 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by dude.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)
  • Sold the most reliable car I've ever had and….
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Damn.

Its genuine. I phoned VW in Preston on spec, and they stuck her on the phone!

Sounds like a DPF issue. The car has been unused for about a month, and it sounds like she’s just been pootling about in it for a couple of days before driving home.

dooosuk
    Free Member

So she works for VW Preston?

I’d say it’s still a scam. Ignore her or state sold as seen.

LHS
    Free Member

DO NOT REPLY!!!

IT IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

This can only end badly.

rickmeister

Then the nice VW man will fall for her fluttering eyelashes and do a forced regeneration on her Golf for free…

codybrennan
    Free Member

LHS- wasn’t gonna. Didn’t expect VW Preston to just hand the phone to her!!!

hora
    Free Member

and they stuck her on the phone!

I’m confused. She was there coincidentally or just happened to be there?

Sounds like she is working there. Sorry I’d get abit rude at this stage as I’d suspect I was being taken for a mug.

If she isn’t – why is it your business?

jimw
    Free Member

I once bought a four year old Citroen BX 16v Gti from a private seller. As it was a very complex car, I paid for an RAC inspection. It passed this with no faults or even advisories. On my way home from seller, dash lit up like a christmas tree and smoke started pouring from under bonnet. Suspension dropped, lost all power steering and just as I pulled up the brakes went. A high pressure pipe from the pump to accumulator had fractured, spraying hydraulic oil all over exhaust manifold.
    It had to be trailered home – first time that had ever happened to me. Was not happy, but I was aware that it had been OK when I left so didn’t dream of contacting seller. RAC said their inspectors could only see faults at the time of inspection [u]so took no responsibility .

I guess what I am trying to say in a very round about way is that provided it was working when it left you and that you genuinely didn’t know there was a problem then it is up to her to sort out.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m confused. She was there coincidentally or just happened to be there?

Agreed, that sounds very odd!

ninfan
    Free Member

DPF? Tough titties – if you’re buying a diesel that age/mileage then you know its a risk.

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed – if it is a DPF, and she’d had the car a few days, I don’t see any way you could have known about it. Chance you take with a s/h diesel.

Though you could point her at the thread discussing getting through your MOT after bypassing one…

TheFlyingOx

Damn.

Its genuine. I phoned VW in Preston on spec, and they stuck her on the phone!

Sounds like a DPF issue. The car has been unused for about a month, and it sounds like she’s just been pootling about in it for a couple of days before driving home.
    Genuine? That makes it *more* likely to be a scam.
    1) She happens to work at the VW dealership that the car managed to limp to, despite a sob story about having been out of work.
    2) She can therefore get her hand on any old diagnostics printout so support her story.
    3) She can get the car fixed (if there even is an issue) at a vastly reduced price, maybe even free. Don’t tell me “homers” don’t happen.
    4) It just so happens to be about the single most expensive “fault” the car can develop without actually involving any physical damage.

EDIT – I may be jumping to conclusions about her working there…

codybrennan
    Free Member

Timeline is:
    1)She texted me to say she was heading to VW Preston (she lives in Southampton)
    2)I called VW Preston 15 or so mins later
    3)They handed the phone to her

As far as I’m concerned, its sold as seen- I’m not a mechanic, I dont work for the AA/RAC, but I’ve done all I can as “due diligence” to keep the car straight and honest.

LHS
    Free Member

Exactly, now don’t answer any more communications from her.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Of course, I only have her word for it that she actually does live in Southampton. I completed that section of the V5- but she could be based further north temporarily- temping?

hora
    Free Member

Sorry I wouldn’t entertain her anymore.

Shes skint yet shes managed to drive 4hours away from home?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Funny, though. My commute (maybe 3 times a week) is about 25 miles of mixed driving- A road, Motorway, a short town section.

I’ve never had any DPF issues. I’ve never had ANY issues!

If she’s misfuelled it or something then its terminal for my old bus.

VanMan
    Free Member

As LHS said ignore all future communications DPF is not your fault, or predictable, as long as it has been serviced regularly as per manufacturer instructions – which you gave her records of.

DezB
    Free Member

To be fair, it could be genuine – my old Saab never gave me any trouble, lots of journeys under 100miles… then I drove to Wales (for a trail centre sesh!) and limp home mode just after the Severn (about 170 miles).
    Mgmnt Light would randomly come on every once in a while after that, so I got rid.

Still, not your issue!

stumpy01

I’d still be inclined to perhaps ring VW Preston tomorrow morning first thing and say something like “is insert whatever her name is there, please”….

That’ll tell you whether she works there or not.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Stumpy01- I’ll do that.

Stu_N

Could be not much, my Passat TDi had a “DPF failure” which turned out to be a faulty sensor. Cost <£50 to fix.

I’m amazed no-one has asked for pics yet

(of the car, naturally!)

hora
    Free Member

Its still not your problem.

Does a DPF/sensor give an advanced warning? Surely if it was a sensor you couldn’t just extinguish the warning light as it’d come straight back on.

flamejob
    Free Member

I heard a similar story when the person got home and the engine expired…

… they didn’t know how to drive an manual and did 20miles on the motorway in first gear. Cooked the engine.

The very reason private sales are cheaper than dealers is that the BUYER needs to BEWARE.

franksinatra

I’d still be inclined to perhaps ring VW Preston tomorrow morning first thing and say something like “is insert whatever her name is there, please”….

That’ll tell you whether she works there or not.

I would do that but only out of curiosity. It shouldn’t affect the outcome of this which is to ignore her. Scam or not, you don’t owe her anything.

I thought the best thing with faulty DPF was to thrash the ting to clear it?

gogg
    Free Member

Do you have any pics?

mrplow
    Free Member

And you can be sure the story at the other end is ” he had a device that showed there was no problems”
    “oh, he must have erased the problems” etc etc.

Buying and selling cars can be an awful experience. Good luck that it comes to nothing.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Gogg- of the fault? No.

avdave2

I love the description of a 4 year old car as ultra reliable. I might describe my previous car a 16 year old Toyota that never once failed to start or broke down during that 16 years as reliable.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Another text:

“Car needs EGR cooler and its 5 hours labour (£400) and they say I shouldn’t drive it.”

I’m suspicious.

scaled
    Free Member

I wouldn’t even bother phoning the garage again.

Just walk away, the more you get involved the more likley you are to be sucked in with another sob story

trail_rat
    Free Member

reply – “very good ted” (said in an irish accent)

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m in “ignore” mode.

aracer
    Free Member

“Sorry to hear you’ve got a bill like that to pay. Very unfortunate for you.”

hora
    Free Member

When I’m skint I can’t think about buying 4yr old posh TDI’s regardless of a windfall.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

When the V5 form was filled out did you so as a private seller or trader ? Did you not take note of her name and address ? Was a direct transfer or cash ?
    Either way none of the above matters it was a private sale and you made a receipt which said sold as seen no warranty implied blah blah etc?

What you don’t want is some thug turning up on your doorstep ! Which is why I try not to do private sales anymore… No comeback part ex etc.

DezB
    Free Member

“Car needs EGR cooler and its 5 hours labour (£400) and they say I shouldn’t drive it.”

Stop texting me. I’m not your friend.

aracer
    Free Member

A quick google suggests it’s a fairly common problem – Honest John reckons common enough to be a service item http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/37637/volkswagen-golg—faulty-egr-cooler (and interestingly when I typed “EGR cooler” google wanted to complete with “VW”). Not that that really changes anything apart from making it even more clear that it’s nothing to do with you.

TheFlyingOx

Maybe start texting her random messages about how your day is going too.

Or at least point her in the direction of the numerous internet threads on the EGR faults with the VAG 1.6TDi engine, many of which make reference to VW repairing either for free or vastly reduced price, out of goodwill. It’s a common fault, it seems.

molgrips
    Free Member

Unlucky 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Scam the scammer – tell her your wife’s just left you and killed the dogs, and you’ve got cat aids too. See if you can escalate.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Sold the most reliable car I've ever had and….’ is closed to new replies.