Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Sold my car to two guys and now I feel nervous!
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Make me feel better !

Sold my Touran, advertised on AUTOTRADER.

I get a call this morning asking to come and see the car I give my work address. Hour later 2 Zimbabwean guys turn up ( i know thet are from there cos i asked, having spent lots of time in East aFRICA) Thet spend 90mins looking at the car, barter me down to a silly price only to come up again to a price we agree on. So off we walk to Natwest he withdraws the money then we walk to my bank I pay it in…(over £4000) sign the papers and they are off. I just felt really nervous the whole time they also bought the car as traders…am caking it if something should go wrong with the car which it shouldnt. they might want to hurt me…panaking yes I am !

Should I be worried…? 1st person to say yes can sod off !

iDave
    Free Member

yes

jam-bo

cash? you sent off the V5 and just gave them the little slip?

happy days.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

already been posted recorded delivery

Junkyard
    Free Member

sod off

Did you put sold as seen on the receipt?
    They spent 90 mins there they will know caveat emptor and all that being in the trade

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

offered a receipt they didnt want one !

iainc

i had a similar worry a few yrs ago selling a Golf GTI. A very Arthur Daly type gent, camel coat and everything and his large minder turned up at my house to ‘view’ – quick lookaround, daft offer, 5 mins discussion and deal…he says he will pay cash there and then…(over £15K and it’s 7pm and dark)). I am crapping myself so agree to meet him following day, outside my bank in centre of Glasgow, we both go in, pay the cash into my account, do the V5 stuff there and then in the bank and I hand over teh keys – no problem at all. he was a charming guy, certainly a car dealer, but all hassle free

iDave
    Free Member

would you be nervous if they had been English?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

yes !

Stoner
    Free Member

ianic – did the bank teller need to see your passports? I though anti money laundering checks were required for large cash deposits?

allthepies
    Free Member

Mugabe death squad for sure.

They don’t like having their plans disrupted.

hora
    Free Member

This thread is really confusing me.

IS there something wrong with the car?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

nothing wrong with the car

Junkyard
    Free Member

did the bank teller need to see your passports? I though anti money laundering checks were required for large cash deposits?

You think 4 grand is a large cash deposit ,you are letting the facade slip 😉
    EDIt: I am not letting the facde of stupidity slip am I DOH 😳
    I left it in for easy mockery

hora
    Free Member

This is what I can’t understand. If the car is kosher/the money is banked (they don’t check it after you know!)- then fine.

I’ve sold loads of cars privately. Never had anyone comeback. If they did and it was genuine I’d listen tbh.

iainc

ianic – did the bank teller need to see your passports? I though anti money laundering checks were required for large cash deposits?

no, teller counted it , banked it (just over £15K) and gave me a slip and that was it. Dec 09

khani
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry because
    1 Africans drive cars too you know
    2 Cash doesn’t bounce
    3 if I went to buy a car with a large amount of cash, I’d take a Mate along as well
    Seems pretty normal to me…

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

10 quid says we’ll see his Touran on Crimewatch next month.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

money side is fine

just felt nervous by the way they handled business, one comment was ooo you could store a gun in there ! I said they can store what they like !

if they’d been green with orange spots Id have felt the same way…but lets not all be PC they are some dogey people out there… im not worried about the money thats in my account just if say something brakes on the car…

Nonsense
    Free Member

The car will already be at Tilbury dock waiting to be shipped to Africa for sale with a healthy profit. There will be all sorts of licensing an tax fraud going on, but that’s not your problem. MTFU 😉

elzorillo
    Free Member

They paid you in cash.. I fail to see what you can possibly be worrying about.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

if say the gear box falls out next week are they going to come knocking on my door ! not that it should fall out !

takisawa2

For a second I was expecting you to say they had left you a cheque / bankers draft…the cash is in your bank, stop fussing.

Talk of minders & heavies reminds me of an incident many years ago after I’d bought a house. 11pm one night theres a (firm) knock on the door. Two smart suited massive blokes stood there, big Merc with the engine still running behind them…

Thankfully after a “chat” it turned out they were after the previous owner. This chap (a builder) was in something of a financial pickle. I often wonder if they caught up with their man.

tonyd

Calm down dear, it’s a simple every day transaction. 🙂

40mpg

How long have you had the car, just a short while?

Or

Taken it abroad recently?

Either way – notice any panel misalignment recently, plastic wrapping poking out or a trail of white powder behind you? Sounds like they knew what they were after!

Could even be mistaken identity on a cloned plate, and when they realise its not the mule, there’ll be a knocking on your door.

Not that I want to worry you or anything

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

car was fully legit, owned since Jan this year, sold as a 1.6 auto touran is not the car for me !

cheez0
    Free Member

40mpg has it, theres probably a floorpan full of diamonds and the chassis made of gold ala Goldfinger!

seems like a bargain for the african doods!

I know how the OP feels though, when i’ve sold stuff seamlessly i always feel as though it was a little toooooo easy.

still, have never had any comeback.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

just if say something brakes on the car…

In that event I would expect them to pay you a visit. You don’t think these geezers are going to hand cash over for a car you claimed was fine, and then not bother to do anything should something go wrong.

When did it last have a service ?

Have got some friends you could stay with for a while ?

yossarian
    Free Member

Don’t worry

But don’t sleep either, that’s when they’ll come for you.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

In that event I would expect them to pay you a visit. You don’t think these geezers are going to hand cash over for a car you claimed was fine, and then not bother to do anything should something go wrong.

When did it last have a service ?

Have got some friends you could stay with for a while ?
    Posted 19 minutes ago # Report-Post
    yossarian – Member

Don’t worry

But don’t sleep either, that’s when they’ll come for you.

last serviced jan 12

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Almost 2 months then. Have you got a contact number ? If so phone them up and ask them if they would mind very much if you had the car service. Tell them customer satisfaction is important to you.

yossarian
    Free Member

Basically there’s something in the car they want. When it was serviced in Jan the mechanic probably discovered the stash of whatever and sold it on. That won’t appease them however.

When they come for you, and they will, don’t look them in the face. 😉

toby1

Hah, so a couple of African guys are buying a car from a white guy who looks a bit edgy about the whole deal. Look at it from their perspective – they are probably laughing with their mates in the pub about the ‘gun’ joke too!

I know what you mean though – I sold a wreck to a car dealer – honest description on ebay detailing every fault I knew of with the car though so nothing to worry about. Couldn’t shake the feeling that there would be some comeback to it – 18months on, absolutely fine.

Enjoy shopping for a replacement car 🙂

hora
    Free Member

So “I’ve had a car for a few weeks. Its not for me so I sold it but wierdly I’m really worried”.

Could it be ‘I’m’ worried as I concealed an issue in a private sale but the buyers look like they could get pissed off if they think they’ve been ripped off?

If your home address is on the v5 and you think caveat empor protects you against all buyers wish on. If someone sold me a lemon I’d make sure they took back the keys. Bigger or smaller than me. Regardless of legality of the sale. I just don’t buy the angle of this thread- its iffy fella.

boxelder

Send me the cash to look after – they WILL come back……….

skywalker
    Free Member

MTFU you absolute pussy

Mikeypies
    Free Member

If your home address is on the v5 and you think caveat empor protects you against all buyers wish on. If someone sold me a lemon I’d make sure they took back the keys. Bigger or smaller than me. Regardless of legality of the sale. I just don’t buy the angle of this thread- its iffy fella.

So in reality what does this mean?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

So “I’ve had a car for a few weeks. Its not for me so I sold it but wierdly I’m really worried”.

Could it be ‘I’m’ worried as I concealed an issue in a private sale but the buyers look like they could get pissed off if they think they’ve been ripped off?

So you’d take the law into your own hands then ?
    there is nothing wrong with the car to the best of my knowledge I am not a mechanic and dont confess to be one ! they spent 90 mins looking at the car !

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

there is nothing wrong with the car to the best of my knowledge I am not a mechanic

I suspect they won’t be interested in whether you are a mechanic or not. If it turns out you sold them a dodgy car.

BTW, just out of interest – where did they think would be a good place to store a gun ?

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Don’t see why you should be nervous. Cash was deposited at bank, they’d have told you there and then if there was concerns or it was fake money. Banks are obliged by law to submit suspicious activity reports (SAR’s) to SOCA on suspicious transactions but often don’t. I’d not worry about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Sold my car to two guys and now I feel nervous!’ is closed to new replies.