Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • Solarstorm X2 Warning please read!
  • dvatcmark
    Free Member

CE marking means nothing. We need the BS kite marking system back.

legend
    Free Member

Send me your chargers and for….hhhmmmmmm….. £50? I’ll upgrade them to BSi standard

😉

fudge9202
    Free Member

Simple answer to all this is
    Just ordered the Solarstorm head unit £13
    Battery from Torchy 34.99
    Charger for £9 from Adam at http://www.bikelightsuk.com (UK plug and CE Certified with 12 month warranty)

All in £57.00 I think that’s a Bargain!
    I suppose the proof will be in a few months if its still running.

If you have any concerns then don’t buy it!

MarkLG
    Free Member

Do you have the address the item was posted from lowfield heath, Crawley.

Sorry, no. He’s still trading on ebay under the name 360digital2011 (among others).

tuffty
    Free Member

So, is there a right and a wrong eBay seller to buy these lights from?

bigbloke
    Free Member

Fudge……you have a link to the torchy battery?

tuffty
    Free Member

Well if that diagram about the CE mark is correct then the charger that came with my HTC phone has not passed the necessary safety standards 🙂 and neither has a hell of a lot of other stuff 😀

GrahamS

Lol. Hopefully an HTC charger will have some of the other safety marks on it?

TUV seems the most useful as that can be checked online.
    (Which seems like an obvious thing to offer!!)

http://www.certipedia.com/what_is_the_tuvdotcom_id?locale=en

GrahamS

That CE diagram is correct by the way tuffty. It matches the one from the European Commission website:
    http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/faq/ce-mark.htm

fudge9202
    Free Member

bigbloke here’s the item id 300999605489

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Simple answer to all this is
    Just ordered the Solarstorm head unit £13
    Battery from Torchy 34.99
    Charger for £9 from Adam at http://www.bikelightsuk.com (UK plug and CE Certified with 12 month warranty)

All in £57.00 I think that’s a Bargain!
    I suppose the proof will be in a few months if its still running.

Me too. Seems like the logical route to let’s of cheap(ish) safe lumens.

tuffty
    Free Member

Graham I am not questioning you, just pointing out that quite a lot of stuff in my house hasn’t got the genuine CE mark on it and its branded stuff, not from a dodgy eBay seller 🙂

MarkLG
    Free Member

So, is there a right and a wrong eBay seller to buy these lights from?

As far as I can see they’re all much the same. The general consensus is that the lights are all fine, regardless of source. The batteries are of variable quality, and the chargers aren’t to be trusted. I think you could extend this to any of light designs at this sort of price.
    The best option if you really want one is to get the light unit on it’s own and source the battery and charger from reputable UK sellers, as per fudge’s post above.
    In hindsight, looking at the time and money I’ve spent messing about with these lights and batteries, I wish I’d just bought one of the Fluxient packs here

GrahamS

Graham I am not questioning you, just pointing out that quite a lot of stuff in my house hasn’t got the genuine CE mark on it and its branded stuff, not from a dodgy eBay seller

Aye fair enough. I did say it might just be a typography error from whoever laid out the label, rather than a definite sign of dodginess. The wiki page did mention the EC were aware of many cases of the logo being wrongly used.

Does make you wonder if manufacturers can’t even get the label right then how much attention did they really pay to the contents of the standards? 😯

legend
    Free Member

daveatextremistsdotcouk – Member
    Request: can someone photo the insides of an unsmoked Solarstorm charger please. Marmaduke- was that one?

Here’s the inside of one of my (CE marked :roll:) SSX2 chargers (they all look the same inside). I’m not seeing any fuse here….

EDIT: just been giving them a good look over. Out of 3, one has a lifted solder pad and another has a missing (surface mount) component. 1 out of three aint bad 😕

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I bought mine from the original thread, bit worried now.

Which charger is it off the link above? Does that definitely have the right connecter for the head unit?

I’ll get a battery too from torchy if someone can link it?

Cheers

The ‘fuse’ will be the fusible resistor next to L at the top. As an engineer I would prefer to see a certified wire ended fuse soldered in there. Probably costs a few more pennies though.
    Frankly I’m more concerned about how good the isolation is between mains and the charger connections.

marmaduke
    Free Member

daveatextremistsdotcouk do you still want a pic of the fused one?

legend
    Free Member

Colour blindness sux 🙁 20 Ohm +/-5%?

daveatextremistsdotcouk do you still want a pic of the fused one?

The pic you put up earlier shows what looks like a wire ended glass fuse. Slightly different design from a different sweatshop was my thought.

Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Solarstorm X2 Warning please read!’ is closed to new replies.