Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)
  • Solarstorm X2 Warning please read!
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😆 awesome Jamie.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I plug all my Chinese death-trap chargers in a normal socket… Have done for years. Nothing bad has ever happened.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Cheap tat in “I never thunk it’d burn down the house” shocker.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not him again!

somafunk

My recent ebay acquisition of a Solarstorm X3 has a fuse in the charger (as pointed out by screwdriver), phew!……meltdown is avoided, i see the price has also increased as two weeks ago he was selling them for £33.99 with free postage but they’re now up to £38.99 and £2.99 for postage.

It’s very bright indeed and a very useable spread of light but it certainly ain’t 5000 lumens, perhaps chinese lumens are different from western lumens but i’m very happy with it.

So that’s me got a Solarstorm X2 from fastech, the above Solarstorm X3 and my 1200 lumen C&B seen light that i posted about last year, so that’s approx 5000 lumens….that should be enough to light up the trails 😀

(or at least entice my bro and his gf out for their first night riding foray, with a hipflask full of whisky, obviously)

hot_fiat

hmmm

felt
    Free Member

Damn it, how can I sleep tonight knowing that the entire world depends upon whether I dare ‘flick the switch’ on the cheap Chinese charger!

🙄

somafunk

Where are the water cooling towers?, if that cap goes pop it’ll burn right through that melamine worktop and eat through the earths crust into the magma core – and if that happens then you’ll only have yourself to blame for buying a cheap light.

GrahamS

A good time to repost this picture.

See all those safety compliance symbols on the charger? CE-certified / GS Mark / TÜV / C-tick + double insulated?
    Those are good things. If your charger doesn’t have them (or if they look like they’ve been drawn on in marker pen) then that is a bad thing. Don’t use it and invest in a proper charger – it’ll be cheaper than the excess on your home insurance!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

From an ebay ad for one of these:

“We’ll try our best to ensure that all the problems you encounter will be solved immediately.”

Reassuring!

felt
    Free Member

See all those safety compliance symbols on the charger? CE-certified / GS Mark / TÜV / C-tick + double insulated?
    Those are good things. If your charger doesn’t have them (or if they look like they’ve been drawn on in marker pen) then that is a bad thing. Don’t use it and invest in a proper charger – it’ll be cheaper than the excess on your home insurance!

Note the very slight product advertising there? Gloworm chargers, way better than your average Chinese chargers!……….oh wait…..they’re made in China too! 😆

bunkbed
    Free Member

A sticky label on a foreign charger doesn’t actually mean much. Plus you’ll see the middle bit of the E isn’t flush with the top and bottom.

organdonor
    Free Member

Plus you’ll see the middle bit of the E isn’t flush with the top and bottom.

It isn’t supposed to be.

Agreed a sticky label doesn’t mean much, though.

GrahamS

Note the very slight product advertising there?

No advertising from me! I have absolutely no affiliation with Gloworm other than I own one of their lights.
    I’m not saying “buy Gloworm” – I’m saying “buy reputable” and check for compliance symbols.

Gloworm chargers, way better than your average Chinese chargers!……….oh wait…..they’re made in China too!

Erm.. Pretty much everything electronic is made in China these days. That doesn’t mean they are all the same quality!

Yes compliance stickers can be faked obviously – but if you are buying goods from a real company who distributes internationally and has a reputation at stake then I think the chances are somewhat higher that the safety compliance is genuine compared to something you bought from an anonymous seller on eBay!

felt
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Note the very slight product advertising there?
    No advertising from me! I have absolutely no affiliation with Gloworm other than I own one of their lights.
    I’m not saying “buy Gloworm” – I’m saying “buy reputable” and check for compliance symbols.

Gloworm chargers, way better than your average Chinese chargers!……….oh wait…..they’re made in China too!
    Erm.. Pretty much everything electronic is made in China these days. That doesn’t mean they are all the same quality!

Yes compliance stickers can be faked obviously – but if you are buying goods from a real company who distributes internationally and has a reputation at stake then I think the chances are somewhat higher that the safety compliance is genuine compared to something you bought from an anonymous seller on eBay!

Well I’m totally convinced by your argument 🙄

GrahamS

Suit yourself felt. I don’t have an agenda here. You seem to.
    Take it you sell these things?

As others have said, buy the light then pick up a better quality CE certified charger and battery elsewhere. (Though chances are it will still be made in China).

felt
    Free Member

[/quote]GrahamS – Member
    Suit yourself felt. I don’t have an agenda here. You seem to.
    Take it you sell these things?

As others have said, buy the light then pick up a better quality CE certified charger and battery elsewhere. (Though chances are it will still be made in China).

I like the way you accuse me of selling lights 😆 but to make things very clear…… I don’t.

Nor do I need to post a picture of a very exciting looking charger :mrgreen:

But …..to each their own I suppose, whatever turns you on 😆

GrahamS

Nor do I need to post a picture of a very exciting looking charger

Is yours a little less exciting? Perhaps missing all those little symbols? 😀

I’d be interested to know what compliance was claimed on the OPs charger. Can’t tell from the photos.

felt
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Nor do I need to post a picture of a very exciting looking charger
    Is yours a little less exciting? Perhaps missing all those little symbols?

I only dream that my charger is as exciting as yours 🙄 but it still works

😆

fozzybear
    Free Member

Thanks for the stw off topic crap..

It was a UK charger and it was distributed from a UK business..

fozzybear
    Free Member

Also gofaster we never said it was going to burn the house down that was you.
    My worry was that someone could be seriously injured by what happened and as better people have pointed out its an unfused charger.
    I should have checked or put it into a power breaker.
    Also it is CE marked on the charger.

breadcrumb

I’ve been using cheap Chinese lights for a few years now, no issues. I’ll pop a charger open and check for a fuse though.

To the OP- Always have a back up light when night riding!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My Gloworm chargers look externally like the one that blew-up, and so does my Exposure one.

I haven’t opened it up to see if it is fused but I left one on charge for a couple of days the other day…

GrahamS

It was a UK charger and it was distributed from a UK business..

Also it is CE marked on the charger.

In that case it might be worth chasing up with whoever the correct organisation is (Trading Standards, HSE, not sure?)

muddyground
    Free Member
    eskay

philfive – Member

I plug mine into an RCD.

The chargers are normally double insulated so are very unlikely to trip and RCD in the event of a failure as the earth pin is not connected.

A fused extension lead is probably the best protection with a very low rated fuse in. Having said that, the device will probably vaporise before the fuse blows!

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve mentioned this before but might help someone. If you buy a US plugged charger you can get a shaver adapter cheaply to plug it in and it should have a low value fuse fitted.

MarkLG
    Free Member

To the OP- Always have a back up light when night riding!

And test a new light/battery before a ride, so you know what Dort of run time Uluru can great out of it.

scaredypants

so you know what Dort of run time Uluru can great out of it

+1 😉

Lets not get too carried away. This is a charger with a US plug…

At first glance it looks like there is no fuse fitted either.

However the green coloured component at the bottom is a fusible resistor. Chances are that there will be something similar fitted to other chargers, its just that it might not look like a fuse as we normally expect.

Request: can someone photo the insides of an unsmoked Solarstorm charger please. Marmaduke- was that one?

MarkLG
    Free Member

so you know what Dort of run time Uluru can great out of it
    +1

iPad keyboard/ autocorrect mishap 🙄

pictonroad

zippykona – Member
    So for us electrical Luddites what’s the solution?
    I have a have a short extension lead into which I plug the charger and battery. This is then placed inside a le crueset sauce pan with the lid on.
    Safe or not?

no, cast iron, not good for impacts, a normal steel pan will save a chid’s face.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hello hello hello….

The reason they all look similar externally is because the costs of a mould like that is several tens of thousands, so chinese factories share the moulds, sell them on when they’re worn and reverse-engineer other moulds from existing products to save the trouble of designing a mould shape that works.

What I am getting-at is: It’s not a great surprise when something you buy that is of very low price turns-out to have been made exclusively down to that price, by cutting as many corners as possible.

Quality is defined as “Meeting customers requirements” by J.S.Oakland*; and the form this takes varies depending on the market, market segment, and also the industry.

“Quality” in a hospital, is different from “Quality” in a restaurant, “Quality” in a £38 light is different from “Quality” in a £300 one.

Here the examples include: features [output, run-time] @ the price-point. However, unless there’s some crazy market being exploited [Lupine..?] then the £300 light is going to be made with more-expensive components, more expensive labour, more of these components and also, better quality-management practices, and so therefore the reliability, longevity and [importantly] the safety of the electronics [incorporating over-rated components, heat-stable ones and number of fail-safe features] which is not visible to the eye will all have to be reduced in cost to the supplier to continue the normal percentage markup.

With these sort of gadgets, we’re usually looking at manufacturing cost being approximately 15% of the retail price, but to be kind here lets say 20% – so the SStorm light was made for about £7.60 or likely less.

So – for £7.60 you might get a lot of lumens, but you won’t get a safe charger.

I guess that’s what I meant, but due to the remains of a hangover I didn’t feel like typing that at midnight-ish.

I am quite tempted to buy one though 🙂

*Linky

badbob
    Free Member

also, the parts of the psu case have to be screwed and glued together, should not be able to be opened with just a screw driver

pcb should be designed with gaps between ac in and dc out, amongst other things

dont thing an RCD will help, these psus, dont have an earth

cruzcampo
    Free Member

OP where did you buy this from?

Fasttech? (which are genuine solarstorm.hk products) or one of the many copies?

I’ll take some pics of my Fasttech chargers and post up

GrahamS

For those (felt) suggesting that the certifications may be fake on the Gloworm charger I pictured:

Here is the company that makes it:

Dongguan Gaoyi Electronic Co. Ltd

(major customers include Apple, LG and Lenovo)

Here are their company details on Global Sources.com

Here you can view scanned copies of their safety certificates.

And here are their TUV certificates in the TUV Rheinland “certipedia” database.

That’s good enough for me 😀

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

GrahamS, interested to know what you make of this:

157_5950 (Custom) by Biscuit Powered Biker, on Flickr

Supplied with my Gloworm X2.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Fast tech chargers… Model number PD-05

Certainly very different from OP’s, so be interesting to know where OP bought from >>>

This came with my recent SSX2…

On the right we have my XML T6 cree charger, bought 3 years ago from Fasttech, apart from the gripping feature, its identical, even down to the sticker as current SSX2 …

3 year old XML T6 charger…

1 week old SSX2 charger… (same as all my recent SSX2 ones)

cruzcampo
    Free Member

and also some Fasttech SSX2 pics just for helpful comparison purposes

neninja
    Free Member

Biscuit Powered – you have the earlier Gloworm charger, GrahamS has the more recent one.

Both from different suppliers, both suppliers had their CE etc accredition/certification checked by Gloworm that it is genuine.

Gloworm have never had a charger explode or similar. They inform me that the most common cause of these explosions is the use of cheap low quality capacitors.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Solarstorm X2 Warning please read!’ is closed to new replies.