Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Solarstorm X2 front light… where to buy?
  • keypulse
    Free Member

I’m wanting a bit more light. I picked up a Lezyne Super Drive a few years ago for £80 but now I want something more powerful for the bars (I might helmet mount the Lezyne or put it on the OH’s bike).

I’ve learned a lesson in that light technology moves fast so I don’t want to spend a lot this time. It seems on an old thread here that the Solarstorm X2 is highly regarded and can be picked up for around £13 as a bare unit (I have plenty of cells and a good charger). I also read that there are inferior imitations floating around though.

So can anyone point me in the right direction to buy this light please?

*pats self on back for resisting “Can anyone show me the light?” pun*

Edit: Looks like I’ll need a battery pack too but preferably just the case and lead; not the cells.

jamiep
    Free Member

Yes, lots of SSX2 copies on ebay now, with differing quality.

The betterer Nitefighter BT21 from Gearbest? £14 for the head unit alone

keypulse
    Free Member

Thanks, but seems to be out of stock there at the moment. Where would I get a battery pack to work with that? I’m really only after a case that I can use my own button-cap 18650 cells in. Is there a standard where packs are compatible with different lights? I’ve only ever used integrated battery lights before.

Edit: e.g. would this do it or would it only work with Solarstorm lights?
    http://www.gearbest.com/diy-parts-and-tools/pp_119294.html

asbrooks

Is this what you are looking for?

water resisant battery case

jimdubleyou
    fatbobb
    Free Member

Got mine from ebay. 16 quid delivered. Works fine, but only get 1.5 hours of light out of it at the most rather than the 2 that the amazon link above says. I’ll dig out the sellers name if you want it.

mjsmke

£17.99 on eBay for the head, battery and charger.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Word of caution on Gearbest Nitefighter BT21.
    I ordered one over a month ago. Nothing has arrived and after an initial email reply via Paypal Gearbest have stopped communicating.
    Find a UK seller for a Solarstorm X2.

sv

Yep ordered a BT21 from gear best late August still not here. Order from DX or Fastech.

markshires
    Free Member

I got one from this site, I have ordered a couple of things from them and all arrive in a few weeks.

http://www.kaidomain.com/

I did have a loose connection or something in one of the Solarstorms that did arrive, emailed them, they asked me to take a video to show the problem, wobble the wire and it cuts out. And they then send me another one out straight away. Which has been working fine.

AlexSimon

To avoid Solarstorm copies, I might be tempted by this in Neutral White.
    http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_133573.html

In the end I bought the BT21 though.

(my experience with GearBest was good, but then everything went smoothly).

M1llh0use
    Free Member

ordered a bt21 a fortnight ago, checked order status today to find still not dispatched. Emailed and got a reply saying they’re still another fortnight before they get them. So they’ve offered a refund and I’ve asked for it…

Will be ordering a lumenator shortly….

hugo
    Free Member

I’ve not bought a X2 from Gearbest, but I can’t recommend them enough as a company.

Bought an action camera (M10) and dashcam from them because the reputation for selling genuine versions of much copied tech is excellent. A far better option than rolling the dice on Ebay sellers.

They are at the whim and mercy of international shipping, although everything I’ve had has arrived in under 2 weeks.

Others may have a different experience…

helpful1
    Free Member

What’s actually wrong with the SS X2 copies?

I have 3 SS X2s all running fine and can’t say I’ve really noticed any difference between the light output or build quality. only the battery life. (and even then only miniscule differences in run time)

hugo
    Free Member

With this kind of thing some copies are good, some are less good, some are in between. For a very similar cost you may as well take the luck out of it.

Agreed, for something like an X2 you’re not going to go far wrong, but I count Gearbest as a “proper” retailer with a reputation to uphold.

funkrodent

Will be ordering a lumenator shortly….

I’ll second that. Got a V2 and it’s superb. Time to move it onto the helmet though and put a Lumenator on the bars!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Solarstorm X2 front light… where to buy?’ is closed to new replies.