Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Solarstorm refund – bit of a PSA
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I bought a solarstorm from dongx2011 on eBay and as expected the battery is shite. I’m getting about 1hr 50mins on low.

I contacted the seller to advise of the issue and requested a partial refund of £15 as the item is not as described, its not 5000lumen for a start :), he came back with an offer of £10 or the supply of a bigger capacity battery.

I didn’t see the point in getting another crap battery so took the refund so other buyers should do the same.

I’m happy with the head unit and the rear light is great but sellers shouldn’t be selling crap with wild claims.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i spotted on faceache that smudge/mtbbatteries has made a compatible (but good quality!) battery for the solarstorm now; buy one from him, you won’t be disappointed…

z1ppy

He’s also selling a decent charger too… these aren’t on his site yet.. so I’ll post them (not associated with him but am a happy customer)

https://www.facebook.com/mtbbatteries

Charger:

Price wise including the UK Mains lead and postage is £26.

Batteries

As requested by numerous emails and messages.
    Using only genuine Samsung 2.2Ah Cells . This is a 7.5V 4.4Ah Li-Ion Battery.
    These will be available for £42 including shipping which will be Interlink and not RM

We also do a larger capacity 5.2Ah Li-Ion battery using Samsung 2.6Ah Cells. – £51 including shipping

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Anyone got a link to smudges battery? Can’t find it on the site.

z1ppy
    Gary_M
    Free Member

buy one from him, you won’t be disappointed…

Thats the plan, I’ve bought a couple of batteries from smudge before and been very pleased with them.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Might be tempted. I get just over 1hr on full beam from mine, and 2.5hrs on mid beam.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be complaining if I got 2.5hrs on mid.

Not used it on high for any length of time but I’d expect 30 minutes on high.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I have one from the same seller. I don’t think it’s 5000 lumen at all, though I haven’t done back to back tests yet. I don’t think it’s any different to my MJ872 which is a few years old now.

Mine had a crossed thread on the mount, so it was loose and couldn’t be sorted, the chap’s sent me a new one out no problems.

Does anyone do an adaptor cable so I can use it with my older batteries?

z1ppy

The SSX2 lead will work with any previous MS battery, no adapter needed, just push the screw cap out of the way and use a bit of force to push the connectors together. You could remove the O-ring on the SSX2 to make this less of an effort, but I prefer to keep it to increase the seal

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s 5000 lumen at all

I had no illusions about it ever being 5000lmn, but that’s not why I bought it.

But if you do want a refund then that’s an easy ‘not as described’ point to raise. Run times aren’t quoted so you can’t go to the seller with that really. To be fair to the seller he was very good and seemed surprised at the poor run time, he responded and refunded very quickly.

v666ern
    Free Member

am pushing the same, im on my replacement battery..both have given 40mins on LOW.
    they did ask for a picture first though, which was genius

mangoridebike

the too good to be true nature of the SSX2 seems to be coming out but even with an upgraded set of batteries it seems to still be a good unit.

Would anyone disagree with that?

Gary_M
    Free Member

No, I don’t have any issues with the light b

acidchunks

I got 2 hours out of my battery with the light on the medium and low settings,acceptable for the price I paid but not exactly impressive.

Bought a compatible Fluxient 6600mAh 7.4v battery for £35 from Torchy which I’ve yet to try out but I’m confident it will do a much better job than the stock battery

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Sorry, what I meant was it’s not 5000 lumens as measured in comparison to the 1600 lumen one I bought last year, but maybe there’s an exponential drop in how much you can tell the difference?

I wasn’t really complaining, it’s great for the price and it matches the build of my whippet perfectly, which was the main reason I bought one. Although it wasn’t as described due to the wobbly mount, that issue was quickly sorted out and a spot of araldite will probably let me use the broken one as well I suppose.

Just realised that the cables do work with my other batteries, think I’ve got 5 I can use with it, so I’m not really bothered what the run time is on the battery supplied.

Does anyone do a mount that screws into the bottle cage bosses that’s not a cage and a bottle? That would complete my setup I think.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have bought a couple of SS lights from the UK seller – Sportinglife. One has seals on the lenses that look like they will keep out a bit of rain, the other has none. I am returning the unsealed unit, following the obligatory photo…

v666ern
    Free Member

I have bought a couple of SS lights from the UK seller – Sportinglife. One has seals on the lenses that look like they will keep out a bit of rain, the other has none. I am returning the unsealed unit, following the obligatory photo…

ah bless em!
    my seal was loose too, they offered me £3…
    sportinglife’s emails are the best

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Well, I have returned the unit, recorded delivery, and since I have had no communication from the seller ” sportinglife ” on eBay. They are not replying to my emails. Any plans what I should do next?

smudge
    Free Member

Does the recorded delivery tracking show it has been delivered? If they are still not comunicating I would take out a paypal dispute with them and see how that goes.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve seen claims between 1250 and 2000 Lm and I’d guess the true output is between there somewhere. I did see the 5000Lm claims on that auction site and laughed muchly.

After a lot of reading on various threads I got mine from Fasttech and it landed in about ten days for £26. It’s damn bright and has a useful beam. I’m used to only getting 1.5hrs out of my old light so I’m not too concerned yet but will be investing in a decent charger as a matter of importance. I’ll almost certainly be buying one of the above batteries before long though. Only question on them – are they coming with the screwfit connector yet?

Really, when you look at what sort of light you get for £26 it’s pretty hard to complain too hard about them! They do seem to vary in beam, overall quality and especially battery depending where they came from though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Solarstorm refund – bit of a PSA’ is closed to new replies.