Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Solaris owners running fixed forks? Question re fork length & 29+
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

Anyone out there running fixed forks on their solaris? I’m very curious about the whole 29+ thing so I’m thinking about giving it a whirl.

A pal of mine is now running a Krampus and it all seem good so I’m thinking of dipping my finger into the pool.

So….my question is what length of fork are you running?

I had a chat with Paul from Cotic last night who suggested that the starting point would be a 470mm fork. Am I right in saying that translates to a 80mm suspension corrected fork?

I’m running 100mm Rebas at the moment so I’m thinking that a 100mm suspension fork would be better / or more akin to what I’m used to…something like the Surly Krampus fork @ 483mm.

Any thoughts / opinions / experiences welcome.

stevemakin

I ran a Krampus fork on my Solaris for a while, worked really well, no idea of the length

stevemakin

freaked out Solaris by Steve J Makin, on Flickr]Solaris with Krampus fork[/url]

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Cheers Steve.

If it was the Surly Krampus fork then, according to the Surly website, it would have been their 100mm suspension corrected fork or 483mm in old money.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd

howellj1
    Free Member

Im running a niner carbon fork. Is a 2012 model I think. Great x country and interesting on tougher trails. Have a 2.4 tyre upfront which takes out some bumps but really noticing it on the thumbs. Maybe the flat bars don’t helo and something witha bit more bend would spread the vibrations. No plans to swap for sus just yet.

brianp
    Free Member

Sam’s new Swift fork takes 29+.

sillyoldman

The extra tyre volume will lift the front end. 470 is probably not a bad place to start.

nedrapier

The extra tyre volume will lift the front end.

And your weight on the suss forks will sag them down to 80mm or less anyway, just on the flat. Even less, when, say, you’re on the brakes coming into a downhill corner, which is probably when you’re counting on/ noticing the handling most.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Niner fork on mine which is 470 a to c I really like how the bike handles with this fork front feels really sharp and planted through bends.

Unfortunately it meant i did not like how it felt when i put my RS SID on the front just could not get it to bite the same.

NormalMan

Were the SIDs 80mm or 100mm out of interest?

ijs445ra
    Free Member

100mm SIDs

The SIDs however feel brilliant on my Yeti BigTop the Niner fork less so, i just don’t switch forks anymore 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Solaris owners running fixed forks? Question re fork length & 29+’ is closed to new replies.