Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Solaris build – Sizing and 142 rear revision?
  • J273
    Free Member

Always liked the look of these and thinking of building one for a new HT build. My last HT (Cannondale flash) i got rid of earlier this year after riding it all last winter and kind of miss it, even though it was a little too stiff and racey.

The solaris id build more trailsy with 120 forks wide bars and short stem which brings up the issue of Sizing. Im a shade under 6ft with me wanting to run a 50mm stem am i best to size up to the large or stick to the more agile medium frame? What do you guys ride similar height to me?

Only other issue is the 135 rear as ideally id like to use one wheelset between 2 bikes. As anyone heard anything with regards a frame revision in the near future?

Thanks

NormalMan

I’m 5’11” and a bit and ride a medium. My previous 29er (spesh) was a 19″ but the stand over wasn’t great, which was why I started looking at other options.

I run a 60mm stem and 740mm bars. The stand over is great and given me the extra confidence I needed to try some more techy terrain that I ride.

The reach seems OK, although for mile munching sections I could stretch out more I guess.

As for frame revisions, here is a quote from a recent Cotic email:

Our stock of the different sizes on the Solaris has got a little lop sided, so we need to even it out ahead of new stock coming in a couple of months. Before you ask, there are no changes due on the Solaris on the new shipments!

jimw
    Free Member

If you use a wheelset with easily changeable adaptors such as Pro II evo hubs or Mavic Crossmax, it shouldn’t be an issue. In my experience it takes no time at all and as you’ll probably be changing the cassette anyway do it at the same time?

J273
    Free Member

Yeah i was thinking that with pro 2’s easily changeable end caps, 135 i suppose wouldn’t be a deal breaker its shame they don’t have a planned revision though.

One thing i forgot to ask, Whats the tyre clearance like on the rear? On the extreme end of the scale running some 35 wide LB rims?

mrmoofo

6ft 3ins and ride an XL.
    I suspect that I should really have a L.
    The top tube is great, I love the front stack height …. but the standover is about an inch!!

Northwind

I don’t think bolt-through really makes sense for a posh steel hardtail tbh, you don’t buy them to be stiff.

Changing endcaps on a rear wheel’s slightly more hassle than it seems because you need to remove the cassette and sometimes the disc too. But it’s still only a couple of minutes work

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m a bawhair under 6′ and have a medium (run a 65mm stem and 762’s).

Spot on for me (well, it would be if I could be arsed cutting the bars down a touch….). The 10mm longer TT than the (old) Soul suits me better.

Large would be too big IMHO.

As far as I know only the rocket has a 142 rear. As it didn’t appear on the 27.5 soul, can’t see it on a ‘revised’ Solaris myself.

dunmail
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and have a Large Solaris but could have gone for a medium as I’m probably just on the boundary between the two sizes.

Feels right for me, done 70 mile plus cross country routes on it and not had any problems like back pain which I’d expect if I was stretched out too much. Handlebars are 720mm, stem is 70mm.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Solaris build – Sizing and 142 rear revision?’ is closed to new replies.