Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Solar tubes/Light tubes – horizontal application?
  • toys19
    Free Member

Has any one got any experience of solar or light tubes. I’ve been goggling like crazy and can only find vertical stuff. The front of my house is south facing and gets lots and lots of sun, my basement is very dark..

Stoner
    Free Member

where would you mount them? in the face of the wall or on the floor in front of the wall?

Stoner
    Free Member

They can be used anywhich way I should think as they are mirrored internally. But by aligning the mouth vertically (so the tube is horizontal) the obliqueness of the opening reduces the amount of light you let in.

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah on the face of the wall, the ground floor level of the house is about 4 ft above the outside ground level. My issue is that all the tubes are 10 inch diameter, and I want to to put them in the floor – 8 inch joists…

Stoner
    Free Member

10 inch diameter, and I want to to put them in the floor – 8 inch joists…

and run them through the basement ceiling before bending 90deg and pointing down to where needed?

Stoner
    Free Member

have you asked on greenbuildingforum?

toys19
    Free Member

and run them through the basement ceiling before bending 90deg and pointing down to where needed?

Exactly.. That is my problem, I think it’s pie in the sky, bloody shame. I want a rectangular conduit say 100mm by 200mm, or 150mm dia, with a mega tight 90 bend.

I dunno maybe it wont bring in much light, but we get stacks of light at the front, it’s all going to waste..

Stoner
    Free Member

how far do you have to move the light? Can you not just flood the southern end of the basement with light from outside and work with that?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Based Surely they’ll work in any direction if you fit the correct optics?

Stoner
    Free Member

Its the product dimensions which seem to be toys’ problem.

Unless he builds a 10″ bulkhead across the ceiling….

Toys: maybe cut a channel in the ceiling plasterboard between two joists – run the 10″ pipe along that then build a shallow bulkhead into the room to cover it all?

toys19
    Free Member

how far do you have to move the light? Can you not just flood the southern end of the basement with light from outside and work with that?

I have thought of this, and I’m going to do some experiments with mirrors and see what happens, but the basement is 8 metres long with the only natural light from the front and back.

The basement has a low ceiling as it is, but I have considered your idea of shoving the light pipe as far up as poss and making good whats left, the issue is that we have to cross an intermediate support beam..

I’ve found fibre optic systems but they are 4K.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Solar tubes/Light tubes – horizontal application?’ is closed to new replies.