Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Solar Storm X2 weird problem – any ideas?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Basically my new Solar Storm X2-style light is doing something very strange. I’ve contacted the seller and I should be able to get another one sent out FOC before anyone moans about Chinese lights, but I’m just curious as to the explanation for this behaviour:

Testing it one evening – Battery charged. Connected up, check it, all works fine.
    Go out for the morning commute the next day – nothing. Dead. Charge it up a bit and it seems to work again. Then it dies again after 5 mins.

Here’s the weird bit. After the light dies, if I then plug the battery into the charger (without it being plugged into the wall socket), the LED on the charger lights up green (I.e. the battery is charged OK). If I then plug the battery back into the lamp, it all starts working again. At no point have I charged the battery any more.

It’s almost as if the small amount of current from the battery to the charger to power the LED seems to ‘wake’ the battery and it’ll work again. Is this even possible?

althepal

I had the same thing with an mtb batteries light and chsrger.. I assume the green led just shows the battery is fully charged.. I’m guessing more folk will be on soon just to say the same.
    Have got one on order from lightmalls so glad to hear the seller is being reasonable!

chorlton
    Free Member

When I plug mine into the charger without it being plugged into wall it also lights green but turns red when it’s connected to the wall socket. Don’t know if that is of any help.

z1ppy

My friends old lamp had/has (trying to fix it) similar issue, he has a intermittent short that seemingly trips the battery, needs plugging into the charger to reset the battery. No idea if that could be your issue but sounds similar.

jamesoz

My old t6 XML? Chinese light had this issue. The wires at the battery end and then the lamp end are poorly anchored and the insulation is stripped back quite far, so any hard pull on the cable will cause shorts. I opened mine up and fixed the issue. Easy at the battery, not so easy at the lamp. The solar storm looks better at the lamp but I bet the battery is the same. Easy fix with cable ties to take the strain.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Solar Storm X2 weird problem – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.