Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • solar shed lights?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i need a quick and cheerful ‘do-able’ light in my shed as it will be a while before i get mains in there, a security lamp outside would be useful too but only need to be bright enough for for me coming and going, maybe using the turbo trainer (just finished a sesh in darkness), not working out there.

has anyone used one of the cheap ones on ebay and are they ok or just a gimmick and not worth bothering with?

slackalice
    Free Member

Bookmarked, I’ve been meaning to get round to this too, probably reminded by the falling hours of daylight 🙂

From what I’ve gleaned thus far, the maxim of ‘buy cheap, buy twice’ Is a likelihood. A few months ago I got some power banks and some small LED lamps for our annual waterborne camping, along with a folding solar charger. It all worked as required, the 13w solar pad charging up phones in an hour or so in bright light.

For lights in a shed, a storage battery will be required too, lead acid probably the best vfm, but happy to be told otherwise.

I used Mobile Solar Chargers, based in the U.K. and the proprietor was very helpful, happy to take time on the phone to discuss and suggest a few of the products for me to research further. As it so turns out, all very sound advice to my questions and requirements coming from a place of very little knowledge.

Mobile Solar Chargers

himupstairs

I got one of these last winter and am still very pleasantly surprised by how bright it is. It still works as it should, and is bright enough to do basic bike fixing. Have been thinking of getting another to have inside for temporary use when the shed isn’t fully switched on.
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-led-solar-floodlight-with-pir-10w-silver/1499g

timber

Panel, charge converter, leisure battery and marine distribution board on/in my shed.

LED ribbon for background light and spots over the bench.
    Bunch of 12v and USB sockets for stuff like pressure washer, charging phone and wireless speaker.
    Still need to add PIR outside light.
    Nowhere near over loading it, my dad has a similar system with an inverter to charge drill batteries.

Panel and inverter cost as much as the battery I think, dad picked it all up as he is better with that stuff and knows what needs what, system was based around pressure washer as highest demand item, probably about £150 after all the cabling, sockets, switches and guff.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘solar shed lights?’ is closed to new replies.