Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • solar panels cause cancer
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

have we done this?

huffpo_linky

surely it’s got to be some kind of super-troll*, i simply can’t believe that people really are that stupid.

For those reluctant to click, The people of a town called Woodland, North Carolina, have objected to a planned solar farm, on the grounds that it A) might cause cancer, and B) absorb too much sunlight, leaving them in darkness.

(*maybe they’re looking to establish their town on the tourist trail? Assuming tourists want to stare at Rednecks)

mt
    Free Member

That’s what they said about fags.

gobuchul
    Free Member

In what context?

They do contain some nasty stuff, like most modern electronics.

http://cleantechnica.com/2009/01/14/danger-solar-panels-can-be-hazardous-to-your-health/

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GrahamS

Not only cause cancer, but also absorb all the sunlight:

One local man, Bobby Mann said that businesses would stop going to Woodland, the community would suffer as a result and the farms would suck up all the energy from the sun, according to the Roanoke-Chowan News Herald.

A retired science teacher, Jane Mann, expressed concerns that plants in the vicinity of the panels would not photosynthesize which would prevent the plants from growing.

https://www.rt.com/usa/325536-us-town-fears-solar-farms/

😯

Either the stupid is very very strong in that area or they are grasping at any possible objection, no matter how ridiculous or vexatious, to attempt to stall the planning applications.

(see also the folk who complained that a cycle lane may be a terrorist target)

GrahamS

They do contain some nasty stuff, like most modern electronics.

True, it’s probably a bad idea to eat solar panels. I’ll give them that.

Northwind

It’s pretty funny and does read like a joke but, they did vote to reject the farm and prevent future ones, to stop it from sucking up all the sun and killing the plants. Presumably the also rejected a wind farm because they didn’t want their fences blown down.

It’s wave power I worry about, install too much of that and it’ll drag the moon out of the sky.

GrahamS

Reading the source article in the Roanoke-Chowan News Herald it sounds like Russia Today has added a fair bit of spin to this (as usual).

In particular:

Jane Mann said she is a local native and is concerned about the natural vegetation that makes the community beautiful.

She is a retired Northampton science teacher and is concerned that photosynthesis, which depends upon sunlight, would not happen and would keep the vegetation from growing. She said she has observed areas near solar panels where vegetation is brown and dead because it did not receive enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

Which seems a lot more reasonable.

Mostly, as usual, it is folk worried about their property value.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

i simply can’t believe that people really are that stupid.

Really?

TooTall
    Free Member

areas near solar panels where vegetation is brown and dead because it did not receive enough sunlight

Or it’s been sprayed with a weedkiller, as is common here in the USA around things like roadsides and structures.

Yes, they came up with barking mad opposition. North Carolina also banned talking about sea level rise:
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/north-carolina-sea-level-rises-desipte-senators/

The worst part? I live in Virginia, the next state up. North Carolina is years ahead in it’s investment in renewables 😥

GrahamS

North Carolina also banned talking about sea level rise

Well that hasn’t worked. Have they tried going down to the beach and shouting at it instead?

If that fails, bomb it.

martinhutch

Jane Mann said she is a local native and is concerned about the natural vegetation that makes the community beautiful.
    She is a retired Northampton science teacher and is concerned that photosynthesis, which depends upon sunlight, would not happen and would keep the vegetation from growing. She said she has observed areas near solar panels where vegetation is brown and dead because it did not receive enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

Science teacher, eh?

Can anyone else hear banjos?

footflaps

They present a really good case for not devolving power. You’d have witch hunts and trial by drowning re-instated in half of the US if it’s weren’t for Federal laws…

Northwind

GrahamS – Member

Well that hasn’t worked. Have they tried going down to the beach and shouting at it instead?

You just have to change the name, instead of “rising sea levels” call it “sea-esh”, that’ll rob it of legitimacy and remove the problem instantly.

mattyfez

Probably one of those creationalist ‘science’ teachers 😐

GrahamS

Can anyone else hear banjos?

Interesting to note that Jane Mann has the same surname as the other quoted objector Bobby Mann.

Most likely her husband and/or brother.

mattyfez

Or both… 8)

jon1973
    Free Member

I think the underlying concern is the effect on house prices as well as the unfounded environmental impacts. I suspect I know which most residents are concerned about.

Interesting article here which gives some background to the story.

http://www.snopes.com/north-carolina-town-rejects-solar-panels/

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘solar panels cause cancer’ is closed to new replies.