Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • solar lighting for workshop… advice please
  • jimsmith
    Free Member

Ive just moved house and got a new garage/ workshop. for one reason and another there is no mains out there so Ive been looking at solar setups.
    just wondering if anyone has experience of off the shelf kits, ive been looking at kits like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15W-Solar-Lighting-Kit-with-FM-MP3-for-garage-shed-workshop-stables-outhouse-/141423499262

http://www.solarshop.co.uk/solar-lighting-kits/solarmate-3-LED.html

Ideally Id like to be able to hook up my tripath 12v amp too for some music
    thanks
    Jamie

hammyuk
    Free Member

Leisure battery for power. Solar to charge it.

RustyMac

Something like this

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

How far away from the house is it ?

Armour cable and fuse box may well work out cheaper/ not much more than solar route

Or just run an extension cable out !

sharkbait
    Free Member

What Hammy said. You’re much better off with a 12v battery (just recharge the battery in the house) and some led lights – you’ll just get hacked off with the lack of light from solar lights after a while.
    You need light most in the winter and thats when there’s the least amount of sun to charge solar lights.
    I’ve got a set up in our beach hut – 75ah leisure battery and some LED strip (thanks Stoner) connected with speaker cable and switched with a normal switch….. works perfectly.

rwamartin
    Free Member

It depends on the size of the garage/workshop and what you’d ultimately like to use if for. Unfitgeezer’s solution is certainly the better one.

The kits will provide basic lighting but little else. I am not convinced either are good quality but the solarshop one looks a bit better.

No chance of running a circuit out to the workshop?

Rich.

Stoner
    Free Member

Id forgotten where they’d got to sharky 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘solar lighting for workshop… advice please’ is closed to new replies.