• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Solar charger/power bank for charging phone in the back of beyond?
  • IHN

This year’s holiday is booked, and it’s a good’un; we’re going mountain biking in Mongolia 🙂

I’ll obviously be wanting to take quite a few photos and, well, my phone is my camera. I’ll have it in aeroplane mode, so they’ll be very little battery drain when it’s not being used for pics, but it’s not going to last the 10 days we’re biking. However, it’s all pretty much wild camping so opportunities for charging will be few and far between, if they exist at all.

So, what I’m after is something that I can use to charge the phone. I’m thinking about those little solar panels that can hang off a daysack, or a powerbank thing that I can pre-charge, or a mixture of both.

Whayareckon?

darrell
    Free Member

just buy some battery packs and re-charge when needed

they cost next to nought from Clas Ohlson

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I rely on an Anker Astro 13000mah and have done for the last 5 years for extended camping but have to charge it via mains outlets when I have access. I also find the onboard torch v useful as the one on the phone drains the phone battery whilst the Anker Astro led light is negligible drain.

If I was completely off-grid and had decent sunlight I’d probably take (along with my hand-cranked dynamo USB charger!) a rugged combo solar/bank with a flashlight. Something like this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/15000mah-Flashlight-GrandBeing®-Portable-External/dp/B01IV24CR0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1486036144&sr=8-7&keywords=Solar+charger+bank

A friend has something v similar and gets good results. If weather is bad you still have the option to charge via mains. Obviously whatever you decide on try it when you buy it well before you need to rely on it.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Dynamo front hub into a cache battery? You are going to get a much better charge, plus you can run lights if required and not worry about charging them.

Cougar

Portapow, Anker.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Dynamo into cache battery

+1

Currently looking to a PD8 setup to drive my B+M USB-Werk. It takes an ok charge from the Nexus hub on the utility/shopping bike but the PD8 looks ideal for the ATB.

IHN

Dynamo into cache battery

It’ll be a hire bike

bungle

Mighty Power Bank

Got one for camping trips, worked well, heavy though

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d buy a small camera and maybe a spare battery. You’ll get better pictures, easier to take snaps and the battery will last just fine. Save the phone for when you need it

DrJ

Fully manual film camera. Woodstove optional.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Solar charger/power bank for charging phone in the back of beyond?’ is closed to new replies.