Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • So…I want to be able to play the guitar like Tom Morello!
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

He taught himself didn’t he? So it can’t be that hard. I love his unique style. The last 45 seconds of this track is my fav by him at the moment.

Has anyone here tried to play his stuff?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fihxa4Q7q1g[/video]

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I can play quite a bit of RATM. Its mostly about getting the timing down. Can you play guitar already or are starting out from scratch? Bombtrack was one of the first tracks I learned to play, along with sleep now in the fire.

iDave
    Free Member

that seems quite easy actually

michaelmcc
    Free Member

No never played the guitar, I’ve held a guitar and messed around in some drunk sessions, also a bass, played the drums for about six years though.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound too tricky, but if you can’t play already i’d give yourself a couple of years of the basics.

Doesn’t sound that unique either to be honest imo.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

that seems quite easy actually

Are you talking about the scratchy sound, or the main melody tune bit? I don’t know how to talk about it properly. The scratchy bit is the part I love.

I love his guitar in this track too, might sound rubbish if it wasn’t part of a song though.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBKRZOpTxuU[/video]

petefromearth

He’s one of my favourite guitarists, think he is often overlooked because RATM are a bit marmite for some.

Know your enemy has some cool guitar in it, lots of toggle switch and an awesome riff and solo

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I have all four of their big albums, can’t get enough, started listening to them about 14 years ago!

“Wake Up” from their self titled album is one of my favourites too.

Soo much better than all the X-crapter stuff anyway, glad they got the No. 1 last year!!

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Funny you should post about this, I bought a guitar last week purely to MAKE me learn as Ive always wanted too but never been bothered. Actually finding it pretty hard to make the necessary shapes and getting a smooth transistion from one to another. Its given me an immense appreciation to those that make it look as simple as I used to think it was.

BoardinBob

Can play pretty much all RATM and Audioslave stuff. It’s actually not that hard to play, but you’ll struggle more trying to replicate his sound and effects

porter_jamie

sounds like it is in drop d. tune the bottom e down to d. make noise. be happy

michaelmcc
    Free Member

sounds like it is in drop d. tune the bottom e down to d. make noise. be happy

In which song? I don’t know what you’re talking about but i’ll take note lol.

julianwilson
    Free Member

He uses some funny scales, lots of chromatic ups and downs rather than mind-melting mixylodian modes so don’t panic. Also dropped D tuning as mentioned above.

You need 2 volume controls on your guitar and an easy-to-reach toggle switch for the on-off bits, so if you like your fender types you’ll be in for a bit of rewiring!

And for a couple of songs iirc, a double locking (floyd rose) tremelo which means you will end up staying in dropped D all the time because tuning the low e up and down all makes all your other strings go in and out of tune. The ‘proper’ morello fanboi guitar setup is a bit of a faff then!

I found this page which might help with tunings and fx noises….

…which of course means the most excellent digitech whammy pedal. This is pretty cheap if you buy into a digitech multi fx unit with an expression pedal, (lost track of what is current, but even if you buy an old and now very cheap one like the RP3/6/9 you can have a play around and see if you like it. Oh be warned, old digitech needs AC/AC power supply so check befire you buy) I would definitely buy a proper dunlop crybaby though, bestest pedal EVER.

Or purists/fans can pay daft money on ebay for the original red one.

porter_jamie

the first one, at the top. it is, i just checked

_tom_
    Free Member

He’s one of my favourite guitarists. I think I learnt to play almost every RATM song at one point 😆 I never bought a Digitech Whammy though which is quite essential for certain Morello solos. And mod your guitar for a kill switch if you don’t have 2 volume controls.

ps dunlop wahs are rubbish, get a Vox 😉 Not only do they look cooler but they sound way better imo. Probably needs to be true-bypass modded though as vox can be pretty bad tone suckers if left unmodded (though they did make a TB version at one point I think). Floyd Rose/drop d problem can be solved with one of those d-tuna things.

porter_jamie

my crybaby broke after a few months, and i didnt like the sound of it either.

one tip for you, especially if you start playing around in drop d. get a proper tuner pedal, and use it, a lot. you have to play in tune, it is really bad for your ‘ear’ if you don’t, and it sounds terrible as well.

plumber
    Free Member

Digitech Whammy + Kill switch + talent = morello

Northwind

I spent ages working out Cochise, but then I realised I was just learning it by rote- I can play some stuff Morello plays but I can’t play like Morello, if you know what I mean. Just monkey-see-monkey-do, I couldn’t transfer it to different songs or add it to my own. And that was a bit depressing so I stopped doing that.

It’s not that hard to do it that way but to do it right I suspect could be very hard indeed.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Just bumping this up cuz i’m bored..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘So…I want to be able to play the guitar like Tom Morello!’ is closed to new replies.